1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 02:23
    The 2007 World Champion Chess Tournament was won by Vishy Anand, thus we have a new champion!
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 02:26
    Originally posted by h9i9j9
    The 2007 World Champion Chess Tournament was won by Vishy Anand, thus we have a new champion!
    PFFT!!! World Champions in chess are decided by matches. If Vishy can beat Kramnik (who vanquished Kasparov) then he's WC.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 02:26
    It says his rating is 2792 and a +56 performance rating, will that put him back over 2800? Kramnik lost to Morozovitch which is why he is not equal to Vishy.
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 02:27
    Congratulations to Anand! I'm glad he has more fighting spirit than Kramnik but also enough calm to take a draw when it suits him. He hasn't even lost a game in this 14 round tournament against the very best players. I'm quite pleased.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 02:29
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Congratulations to Anand! I'm glad he has more fighting spirit than Kramnik but also enough calm to take a draw when it suits him. He hasn't even lost a game in this 14 round tournament against the very best players. I'm quite pleased.
    Topalov supporters said the same thing after San Luis. Vishy had 6 draws here in 22 moves or less.
  6. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 02:35
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It says his rating is 2792 and a +56 performance rating, will that put him back over 2800? Kramnik lost to Morozovitch which is why he is not equal to Vishy.
    I don't think it's quite as simple as all that. Kasparov dominated chess (after Karpov passed his zenith) and I don't think you can argue with the same clarity that there is a GM who stands head and shoulders above the rest. Sure, they have good tourneys and intermittent periods of dominance but between Topalov, Kramnik and Anand (as well as a few others) there isn't that much to distinguish between their strength.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 02:423 edits
    Originally posted by demonseed
    I don't think it's quite as simple as all that. Kasparov dominated chess (after Karpov passed his zenith) and I don't think you can argue with the same clarity that there is a GM who stands head and shoulders above the rest. Sure, they have good tourneys and intermittent periods of dominance but between Topalov, Kramnik and Anand (as well as a few others) there isn't that much to distinguish between their strength.
    Of course its still a battle between those three now that Kaz has left the scene but I was just asking about Vishys rating now, if that +56 will run him back over 2800.
    Also, why does this tourney give Vishy the world championship? Doesn't have to play an official match with Kramnik now? This doesn't seem to me the same thing as a match.
    Seems to me the traditional view would be now Vishy gets the right to challenge Kramnik to a match for the REAL championship. I thought that's how it was done. Are we in a different era now with the championship cycle?
    It seems now if they pronounce Vishy champ, he will be the first one in history to do so without a match, except maybe the very first championship back in the 1800's.
  8. Joined
    05 Aug '07
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 03:45
    Originally posted by sonhouse

It seems now if they pronounce Vishy champ, he will be the first one in history to do so without a match, except maybe the very first championship back in the 1800's.
    You forget Botvinnik in 1948.
  9. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 04:341 edit
    Anand won just as Kasparov had predicted before the start of the event. I have been critical of Anand in the past but his play of late is at a high level. FIDE's rules mean he has to face off Kramnik in a match next year.
  10. Under Cover
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 04:56
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    PFFT!!! World Champions in chess are decided by matches. If Vishy can beat Kramnik (who vanquished Kasparov) then he's WC.
    Since Kramnik agreed to put his title on the line in this tournament, Anand is now the legitimate Champion. If Kramnik can beat Anand then he will deserve to regain the title, but right now he is nothing more than a former World Champion and future contender.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 05:461 edit
    Originally posted by Maxwell Smart
    Since Kramnik agreed to put his title on the line in this tournament, Anand is now the legitimate Champion. If Kramnik can beat Anand then he will deserve to regain the title, but right now he is nothing more than a [b]former World Champion and future contender.[/b]
    BS. If a few people want to accept Anand as champion even though all he has done is win a tournament, go ahead and do so. But it is disrespectful to the history of the game. For 150 years there is a straight line of succession for World Champion decided by matches. Kramnik defeated Kasparov and has twice successfully defended his crown. Winning a tournament, no matter what the clowns at FIDE call it, is not winning the World Championship.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 05:48
    Originally posted by ouwe belg
    You forget Botvinnik in 1948.
    The reigning champion had died in that case.
  13. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 05:56
    I think that Kramnik will beat Anand in a chess title match.
  14. Under Cover
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 05:57
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    BS. If a few people want to accept Anand as champion even though all he has done is win a tournament, go ahead and do so. But it is disrespectful to the history of the game. For 150 years there is a straight line of succession for World Champion decided by matches. Kramnik defeated Kasparov and has twice successfully defended his crown. Winning a tournament, no matter what the clowns at FIDE call it, is not winning the World Championship.
    You keep forgetting that little point about Kramnik agreeing to the terms... Let it go.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 06:011 edit
    Originally posted by Maxwell Smart
    You keep forgetting that little point about Kramnik agreeing to the terms... Let it go.
    I really don't care what Kramnik agreed to (under threat of having his FIDE title, not the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP stripped). FIDE can't dictate who is World Champion; that is decided by match play.

EDIT: Riddle me this; who was the World Champion during the 1990's?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree