New World Champion

New World Champion

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

z

Moves
02 Oct 07

you are wrong though - he said assume constant skill levels.. It just means Anand can kill weaker opponents faster -- between the two of them the Kramnik gladiator is the stronger. The spectators at Rome would always want to see the two gladiators fight each other as well.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
02 Oct 07
1 edit

Originally posted by zin23
you are wrong though - he said assume constant skill levels.. It just means Anand can kill weaker opponents faster -- between the two of them the Kramnik gladiator is the stronger. The spectators at Rome would always want to see the two gladiators fight each other as well.
In Mexico there was fight between them and Kramnik did not show ability to "kill" Anand. So if they cant "kill" each other then decisive factor in comparing their strenght is ability to "kill" others.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
02 Oct 07
1 edit

Originally posted by AProdigy
Because it seems questionable that a champion can lose his title to a challenger without being beaten by the challenger.

Let me try to come up with an analogy, although it is difficult to think of something else that allows draws.

Lets say you have 10 gladiators in ancient Rome. They are all going to get thrown in there together, and after 10 min vilized conversation with me and let that other guy carry on his conversation with himself.
*sigh*

Kasparov killed Anand in 1995. How can he be playing today?

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
02 Oct 07

Originally posted by Wulebgr
*sigh*

Kasparov killed Anand in 1993. How can he be playing today?
Actually it was in 1995.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
02 Oct 07

Originally posted by Korch
Actually it was in 1995.
You caught it before my quick edit.

z

Moves
02 Oct 07

If they can't kill each other, they keep fighting till one dies. That is mortal combat - no point in arguing how many others they kill ..
Tournaments are best to determine the stronger players from a large field. ..The strong players then play each other in matches and the winner faces the champion. This is the ideal case, but FIDE, and a few people just can't grasp this simple concept.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
03 Oct 07

this is getting increasingly silly. 🙂

Y
Renaissance

OnceInALifetime

Moves
03 Oct 07

Originally posted by wormwood
this is getting increasingly silly. 🙂
http://www.chessmexico.com/images/ronda6/normales/gelfand%20gana-2.jpg

🙂

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
03 Oct 07

Originally posted by zin23
If they can't kill each other, they keep fighting till one dies. That is mortal combat - no point in arguing how many others they kill ..
Tournaments are best to determine the stronger players from a large field. ..The strong players then play each other in matches and the winner faces the champion. This is the ideal case, but FIDE, and a few people just can't grasp this simple concept.

Don`t you know that there were world championship matches which did finish draw? It mismatches your "mortal combat philosophy".

To avoid them we can have:

1) unlimited matches in which physical stamina (instead of chess skills) may become deciding factor.
2) Tie break - match decides in rapid/blitz which is more gambling.

I advice you to state your arguments instead of claims which you should argue.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
03 Oct 07

Originally posted by Mephisto2
You don\'t even know what my preferences are. But that\'s not the point, I was making. When you wrote:

\"For those of us who think that the world championship ought to be decided by match play, a WC tournament can\\\'t be called a \\\'step in the right direction\\\'.\"

the \"can\\\'t\" clearly indicates that you are not open to anything else than your position. So far for \'hearing arguments\'.
the \"can\\\'t\" clearly indicates that you are not open to anything else than your position. So far for \'hearing arguments\'.
-Mephisto2

Wrong.

Nothing in my statement rules out hearing opposing arguments. If they persuaded me, I would cease to be part of the group who thinks the WC ought to be decided by matches, and the \'can\'t\' wouldn\'t apply anymore.

Strongly held opinions aren\'t necessarily fundamentalism.

M

Moves
03 Oct 07

Originally posted by SwissGambit
[bWrong.

Nothing in my statement rules out hearing opposing arguments. If they persuaded me, I would cease to be part of the group who thinks the WC ought to be decided by matches, and the \'can\'t\' wouldn\'t apply anymore...... [/b]
You were rejecting my statement (about a step into the right direction) quite firmly ("can't" etc. ...). If you were open to arguments, you might have wondered what was meant with that, or what arguments were in favour. Perhaps I was referring more to the process of reunification than to the final format?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
03 Oct 07

Originally posted by Mephisto2
You were rejecting my statement (about a step into the right direction) quite firmly (\"can\'t\" etc. ...). If you were open to arguments, you might have wondered what was meant with that, or what arguments were in favour. Perhaps I was referring more to the process of reunification than to the final format?
But I didn\'t object to reunification. I specifically objected to the idea of deciding the World Championship via tournament.

It\'s possible to support reunification and yet oppose the format used to reunify. I suspect many would protest a reunification blitz tournament for the title. You may think the example absurd, but remember that FIDE used to run WC knockout tournaments with much faster time controls.

M

Moves
03 Oct 07

But I didn\'t object to reunification. I specifically objected to the idea of deciding the World Championship via tournament.

It\'s possible to support reunification and yet oppose the format used to reunify. I suspect many would protest a reunification blitz tournament for the title. You may think the example absurd, but remember that FIDE used to run WC knockout tournaments with much faster time controls.
Of course you didn't object reunification since it wasn't even mentioned. My point was that I considered this tournament as being a step in the right direction because of the reunification. Was it 'the' right step, I don't know. Did FIDE have many other options to get out of the mess (that they were partially but not entirely responsible for), I don't know, but I followed the recent history close enough to believe that no match between two players could have been setup and lead to a reunification. Was it better to have this step than to keep the mess, I strongly think so. Is there a need to further adapt the format, yes I think so, and so does FIDE. Taking too strong positions on the format may be an obstacle to the overall process. The world is full of people with opposing truths, and this is true in chess too. A peace process cannot be based on 'rational' elements only.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
03 Oct 07

remember that FIDE used to run WC knockout tournaments with much faster time controls.
these never decided the World Champion, despite FIDE's claims to the contrary.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Oct 07
2 edits

Originally posted by Korch
[b/]I seriously doubt that the quality of play at Mexico City was better than at say Fischer-Spassky, Tal-Botvinnik, Kasparov-Karpov, etc. etc.

If you did check games of these matches then you could see that quality of some games are very low. From latest examples check games of Kramnik - Topalov match.

The reverse is true; where you have weaker p is not argument - or show me world championship matches where were no short draws.
Your first two "points" are merely dodges. If you truly think that Mexico City had higher quality play than the Topalov-Kramnik match or that bringing in weaker players improves the quality of the chess, please say so. Then everybody can have a good laugh.

Topalov as already played and been defeated by Kramnik (remember?). I already explained several times using several different reasons why matches are preferable to tournaments in deciding the World Championship; you're either incredibly thick or just like completely ignoring other people's points. HINT: Either one isn't a very good trait in a lawyer.