Novels based on Chess.

Novels based on Chess.

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Kuala Lumpur

Moves
26 Mar 06

Is there perhaps any good novels based on Chess such as Bobby Fischer goes to War, Story of a Chess Player, etc.

I am interested in Chess literature and the culture that revolves around it.

GP

Moves
26 Mar 06

No novels that I'm aware of but there's an abundance of short stories revolving around chess.

N

The sky

Moves
26 Mar 06

Originally posted by stanloh
Is there perhaps any good novels based on Chess such as Bobby Fischer goes to War, Story of a Chess Player, etc.

Stefan Zweig, Schachnovelle ("The Royal Game" in the English translation). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Royal_Game

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
26 Mar 06

nabokov: the defence.

c

USA

Moves
26 Mar 06

Searching for Bobby Fischer and Chess for Success : Using an Old Game to Build New Strengths in Children and Teens

mg

Moves
26 Mar 06

Originally posted by wormwood
I'll second this. See also some of Martin Amis's stuff. At the end of "Money," our author sits down for a game of chess with his protagonist .

No Name Maddox

County Doledrum

Moves
26 Mar 06
1 edit

There's a great supernatural chess story by Friz Leiber called "The Dreams of Albert Moreland" - a man plays a chess-like game in his dreams every night against a supernaturally evil force, with catastrophic consequences if he fails. Brilliant stuff.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
26 Mar 06

Originally posted by wormwood
Nabokov's The Defense is the best. The movie, Luzhin's Defense is an adaption of this novel. Katherine Neville's The Eight is a good read--much better than Dan Brown, which is similar in genre. Dorothy Dunnett has a series of historical novels with chess titles. I haven't read them, but they appear to have some chess themes and material. See http://www.dorothydunnett.co.uk/duchessgame.htm concerns Pawn in Frankincense from the Lymond Chronicles.

Richard Pangburn has an Amazon.com Listmania list of others: http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/listmania/fullview/271RCLMWB1FP0/102-7519603-8668113?%5Fencoding=UTF8

W
Angler

River City

Moves
26 Mar 06
1 edit

Originally posted by chesskid001
Searching for Bobby Fischer and Chess for Success : Using an Old Game to Build New Strengths in Children and Teens
Neither of these are novels. I understand from my experience as a college teacher that many youth of the video game generation think that all books are novels, but they are wrong.

Searching for Bobby Fischer is an autobiography of a father whose son is a chess prodigy, and the focus of the book (Josh Waitzkin). Maurice Ashley's Chess for Success fits into the self-help, educational, inspirational mix of genres, as does Bruce Pandolfini's Every Move Must Have a Purpose: Strategies from Chess for Business and Life.

G
ChessObsessed

Earth

Moves
26 Mar 06

The Chess Artist. J.C. Hallman
ISBN: 031233396x

W
Angler

River City

Moves
26 Mar 06

Originally posted by Grandmouster
The Chess Artist. J.C. Hallman
ISBN: 031233396x
Not a novel, but an excellent book.

s

Kuala Lumpur

Moves
26 Mar 06

Okay guys, I have mistakened. Although novels would be cool but I am more looking towards true stories. An autobiography even perhaps. Something similiar to Bobby Fischer goes to War where the author told the politics, the happening leading up to that event, the aftermath, etc.

Don't have to be a novel but perhaps a story about something that happend in real life or perhaps a grandmaster's thoughts, a story on how a the author became a grandmaster, etc.

s
The Mighty Messenger

The Wood of N'Kai

Moves
26 Mar 06

The Dragon Variation,by Anthony Glyn,The Queen's Gambit,by Walter Tevis,and The Chess Players,by Frances Parkinson Keyes are three of the most well known.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
26 Mar 06

Okay guys, I have mistakened. Although novels would be cool but I am more looking towards true stories. An autobiography even perhaps. Something similiar to Bobby Fischer goes to War where the author told the politics, the happening leading up to that event, the aftermath, etc.

Don't have to be a novel but perhaps a story about something that happend in ...[text shortened]... fe or perhaps a grandmaster's thoughts, a story on how a the author became a grandmaster, etc.
The Chess Artist, then, is the best suggestion so far.

If Fischer-Spassky 1972 is your interest, two older books might fit the bill:

George Steiner, Fields of Force and Alexander Cockburn, Idle Passion: Chess and the Dance of Death. I haven't read Steiner.

s
The Mighty Messenger

The Wood of N'Kai

Moves
26 Mar 06

Re:Cockburn-don't waste your time reading this drivel. The man is psychotic in his hatred towards chess,and all that surrounds it,yet he never explains why he hates the game so much.