1. Lambertville, Mich.
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 18:27
    This is an observation and I guess also a question. I want to continue open inviting but as a provisional player I can't limit ratings yet so as to play other novice players near or at my skill level. I realize playing better players is of course how one learns but I don't want to lose every game ! Am I missing something ? Thoughts ? Ideas ?
  2. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 19:412 edits
    @playmorewithaclaymore said
    This is an observation and I guess also a question. I want to continue open inviting but as a provisional player I can't limit ratings yet so as to play other novice players near or at my skill level. I realize playing better players is of course how one learns but I don't want to lose every game ! Am I missing something ? Thoughts ? Ideas ?
    If you look at the tournaments section, you'll find a number of events to play in with a mixture of skill levels. I'm sure things seem a bit daunting for those under 1200, but you're not going to progress by playing people equal to or weaker than yourself. Start a consistent program of study (especially tactics and endgames) as well as tournament participation and you'll get better and start winning.

Good things, sometimes take time 🙂
  3. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 21:30
    @playmorewithaclaymore

You could also try joining a club or two. Clubs offer their own tournaments (i.e., in addition to the site-wide ones) and you can see the ratings of the other entrants before you commit to joining a tournament.
  4. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 21:46
    @playmorewithaclaymore

There is plenty of help, once you get your head round this platform, you will see. You may even sub.😉
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jul '20 16:01
    @caesar-salad
    How many clubs are still open considering the covid thing?
  6. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    24 Jul '20 18:49
    @sonhouse said
    @caesar-salad
    How many clubs are still open considering the covid thing?
    I think Caesar means the clubs that run on this site.
    Not sure non subs can enter the site wide tournaments but there's a few clubs that run tournaments regularly which non sub club members can enter I believe., Dark dragon, Poeye the sailor man and Tournaments on demand to name a few
  7. Standard memberwanderm
    Detached Obsessive
    Melbourne
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 03:55
    @playmorewithaclaymore said
    Welcome to RHP!

No-one is forcing you to accept a challenge with a much stronger player. However one also has to learn to lose, possibly hundreds of times, to play a competent game.

There are plenty of players, myself included, that are slightly past beginners (say ~ 1200-1300 on this site) which would give you a reasonable game without duffing you up to the point of discouragement. If you can't handle that level and play with the hope of winning every other game then maybe online chess isn't for you? But I think if you take the game reasonably somberly, getting to 1100 (which suggests a 1 / 4 shot with a 1300) is pretty much a certainty and a great foundation.

Remember, most everybody has swallowed at least a couple of hundred losses in their time. Losing to a stronger player is not shameful.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree