1. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 22:20
    On RHP the best response is Na6 as 80% of the games are won by black

http://www.redhotpawn.com/gamesexplorer/?movelist=e2e4&flip=0&co=-&u=-1&c=1400
  2. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 23:14
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    On RHP the best response is Na6 as 80% of the games are won by black

http://www.redhotpawn.com/gamesexplorer/?movelist=e2e4&flip=0&co=-&u=-1&c=1400
    According to gamesexplorer the best first move for 1900+ players is 1.B3😲
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 00:32
    And that's a great sample size...
  4. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 00:44
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    And that's a great sample size...
    😉
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 07:41
    I studied up on the Bg5 and Be3 lines of the Najdorf and I'm pretty irked. There are several forced draws and Black can't avoid them without sacrificing too much. I guess it's unlikely that my opponents would want a draw as White, but the very idea that they can force me into it is annoying to say the least. Does the French have any forced draws I should know about?
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 01:53
    While I like the Najdorf too, I decided to play the French at least untl the end of the year. It is an interesting and complex opening that I think is completely sound. (definitely more so than my previous Sicilian)

It will teach me a different kind of chess and I think it's more appropriate for my level. The Najdorf is also a bit over-analyzed. However, I will also play the Najdorf(and other Sicilians), e5 and even the Caro-Kann once in a while to see other sides of chess.
  7. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 02:00
    While I like the Najdorf too, I decided to play the French at least untl the end of the year. It is an interesting and complex opening that I think is completely sound. (definitely more so than my previous Sicilian)

It will teach me a different kind of chess and I think it's more appropriate for my level. The Najdorf is also a bit over-analyzed. Howeve ...[text shortened]... rf(and other Sicilians), e5 and even the Caro-Kann once in a while to see other sides of chess.
    Anything is more exciting than the Accelerated Dragon. I told you so. It's less exciting than drying paint.
  8. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 02:03
    it sounds cool though
  9. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 02:16
    Originally posted by Zander 88
    it sounds cool though
    I've always thought the Kalashnikov Sicilian & Fried Liver Attack sound kinda funky too.
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 05:53
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    Anything is more exciting than the Accelerated Dragon. I told you so. It's less exciting than drying paint.
    You really must not be playing it very well if you feel that way. 😀 I have no problem with the excitement of the Accelerated Dragon, my problems occur after Bc4 in the main line. It isn't even so much a practical problem as it is theoretical. Most of my opponents don't play the lines I fear, but the fact that they exist have swayed me from the opening.
  11. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 12:39
    I know this has been covered many times, but theory has changed since then. :p I'm ditching my Accelerated Dragon and I am searching for a good replacement. I don't just want an opening I like, I want an opening I consider to be absolutely the best. It's true that no one REALLY know what response is best, but as long as I'm convinced, that's all that matt ...[text shortened]... st liking it, but actually thinking that it is the theoretically most challenging move.
    You can't know which move is objectively best until the chess game is solved.

And playing things you think are "best" rather than those which fit you, might be mistake.
  12. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 16:37
    If there is a "best" response to 1 e4, it is 1...c5 if you go by the results of master games. 1...c5 scores better than any other frequently played defnese to 1 e4.

Back in the early 1970's a book came out called "The Blue Book of Charts to Winning Chess." It showed the winning percentage for every opening at every turn. I think 1 g4 or 1 b4 had the highest winning percentage! Of course, the sample size for 1 g4 and 1 b4 is pretty small. If there was a GM tournament in which White had to play 1 g4 every game, I don't think White's winning percentage would even be as high as 50%.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree