Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 02 Apr '07 17:40
    I know this has been covered many times, but theory has changed since then. :p I'm ditching my Accelerated Dragon and I am searching for a good replacement. I don't just want an opening I like, I want an opening I consider to be absolutely the best. It's true that no one REALLY know what response is best, but as long as I'm convinced, that's all that matters.

    Anyway, I'm mostly considering the French defense and the Najdorf. The two openings couldn't be more different, but both seem quite strong. I'm also not worried about memorization because I know everyone else is at my level. Thus, the White player will probably take some shortcuts or not really know any theory either.

    Which opening do you consider to be objectively best? I'm not talking about just liking it, but actually thinking that it is the theoretically most challenging move.
  2. 02 Apr '07 17:51
    I agree with the good Dr. Tarrasch: "Objectively and practically 1... P-K4 is the only correct response to 1 P-K4."
  3. 02 Apr '07 17:53 / 1 edit
    Just based on what the top 20 in the world play in classic time controls, I would think the najdorf is better. That said, the french plays more to my strengths (counterattack, long term strategy). I believe the second factor is more important then the first. Play the French!

    Edit: I agree with GayChessPlayer that 1... e5 is the best response to 1. e4. The problem is that it's harder to find winning chances when you play what is objectively best.
  4. 02 Apr '07 17:53
    I don't really know what opening move is best. People like to recommend the Sicilian, but I'm not really convinced. I know I ahte having the Scandinavian played against me.
    The French is an opening that makes you fight for space from the first instant. At least, when people play the exchange variation, but I think they most often will. But I think it might have some interesting prospectives.
    My experiences with the Caro-Kann were rather negative, but I've only played one game with it.
  5. 02 Apr '07 17:55
    Since chess is almost certainly a forced draw with "best" play, it logically follows that there is no "objectively best" defense to 1 e4. But if there is, it's 1...e5.
  6. 02 Apr '07 17:56
    Play everything this is a CC site so you can follow the first few book lines. I'm tired of people who only play one opening, learn how to play :-

    - Sharp attacking lines
    - Boring positional lines
    - Win a pawn and then convert the win Capablanca style.
    - Play mickey mouse openings like the (ahem avoid mentioning them)
  7. 02 Apr '07 18:21
    Originally posted by z00t
    Play everything this is a CC site so you can follow the first few book lines. I'm tired of people who only play one opening, learn how to play :-

    - Sharp attacking lines
    - Boring positional lines
    - Win a pawn and then convert the win Capablanca style.
    - Play mickey mouse openings like the (ahem avoid mentioning them)
    I play alot of different openings. My broad opening repertoire allows me to be incompetent in a variety of different openings, instead of being incompetent in just one opening.
  8. 02 Apr '07 18:34
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    I play alot of different openings. My broad opening repertoire allows me to be incompetent in a variety of different openings, instead of being incompetent in just one opening.
    Well said. I am trying to branch out. I now play the petrov and (by transposition) the two knights against 1. e4.

    My openings
    White
    Kings Bishop Gambit
    The Scotch
    Scotch Gambit
    The English
    I have played one serious 1. d4 game which went well Game 3286062 but I accepted the draw to reduce gameload.

    Black
    vrs. 1.e4
    Petrov
    Two Knights
    French (I play both the winawer and the classical and I'm working on the burn)

    1. d4
    Benko gambit
    Nimzo indian

    1. c4
    HedgeHog
    Rubinstein (my favorite opening of all).

    If anyone cares to offer them I'm looking to play a few more
  9. 02 Apr '07 18:36
    I've actually experimented with numerous Sicilians, the French and e5. I'm just trying to find one to specialize in. My style is very flexible so I really want to play what I consider objectively best. It doesn't have to give me the most winning chances, it just has to be the one I can trust completely against any response from White. For example, I had many wins with the Hyper-Accelerated Dragon, but with best play, I didn't trust my position as Black. I don't want to go through that again.

    Here's my list so far:

    1. French (Nc3 is the toughest objectively, with the line I gave in another thread, but Nd2 can be difficult to handle accurately as well.)
    2. e5 (This would be first if it weren't for the Ruy Lopez. I think White objectively has an edge in that opening.)
    3. Najdorf (Be3 is the most trouble objectively imo, but Bg5 is also tough from a practical point of view.)
  10. 02 Apr '07 19:15
    I've been playing the "The Defense Game" lately with both colors. Since I play it with both colors, I'll note the moves in descriptive notation: 1 P-K3 2 P-Q3 3 N-K2 4 N-Q2 5 N-KN3 6 N-QN3 7 B-K2 8 B-Q2.

    "The Defense Game" by Pafu can be perused for free:

    http://beginnersgame.com/page_21.pdf

    It looks stupid and passive, but if often becomes stupid and active!
  11. Standard member bannedplayer306509
    Best Loser
    02 Apr '07 19:19
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    I agree with the good Dr. Tarrasch: "Objectively and practically 1... P-K4 is the only correct response to 1 P-K4."
    i agree. Everything else relies on better, and not equal play to maintain equality in my mind.
  12. Standard member buffalobill
    Major Bone
    02 Apr '07 19:22
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    I've been playing the "The Defense Game" lately with both colors. Since I play it with both colors, I'll note the moves in descriptive notation: 1 P-K3 2 P-Q3 3 N-K2 4 N-Q2 5 N-KN3 6 N-QN3 7 B-K2 8 B-Q2.

    "The Defense Game" by Pafu can be perused for free:

    http://beginnersgame.com/page_21.pdf

    It looks stupid and passive, but if often becomes stupid and active!
    It's plain stupid.
  13. Standard member buffalobill
    Major Bone
    02 Apr '07 19:25
    Originally posted by zebano
    Well said. I am trying to branch out. I now play the petrov and (by transposition) the two knights against 1. e4.

    I have a terrific success rate with the Petrov. Just don't play it against +2000s unless you really know it well.
  14. Standard member Korch
    Chess Warrior
    02 Apr '07 19:33
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    I know this has been covered many times, but theory has changed since then. :p I'm ditching my Accelerated Dragon and I am searching for a good replacement. I don't just want an opening I like, I want an opening I consider to be absolutely the best. It's true that no one REALLY know what response is best, but as long as I'm convinced, that's all that matt ...[text shortened]... st liking it, but actually thinking that it is the theoretically most challenging move.
    I dont care which move is objectively the best. I care to get positions which I like to play. And thats all.
  15. 02 Apr '07 19:36
    Originally posted by Korch
    I dont care which move is objectively the best. I care to get positions which I like to play. And thats all.
    I second that.