1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    26 Nov '05 17:532 edits
    Originally posted by TheGambit
    I wish I had learnt some endgame theory before accepting a draw in this game Game 1439270 Still can't believe I didn't take a closer look at how easy it would have been to promote the pawn.
    Bowmann's analysis is correct. You can force the advance of the pawn, but not its promotion. For such elementary endgames, Pandolfini's Endgame Course will give you some needed instruction.

From the initial position presented in Thread 33449 a much stronger player missed a win against Bowmann due to failure to apply similar elementary endgame technique.

Originally posted by Bowmann
    Your best spam yet. Keep it up.

Thanks for your encouragement. 😕
  2. Behind You!
    Moves
    26 Nov '05 22:123 edits
    Wulebgr, no offence but when you give someone general advice as this: "Pandolfini's Endgame Course will give you some needed instruction." - you are misleading him in some sense, he might think this ending is easier than it looks (or vice versa).

This rook ending (R+P vs. R and R+Ps vs. R+Ps) require very correct and specific analysis. Although general guidlines will help, one must know all the twists & turns of the position or else he has a good chance to err.

I write this because I was witness to the misconception that general knowledge is enough to play this kind of ending well.
    Only when I saw several masters fail to play it correctly (not only during an OTB game but in casual 'take your time' situations) thats when I finally realized (I was young & stupid back then, now I'm just stupid...) you have to practice alot of specific positions to master this ending well enough (not to perfection, but well enough).

If one wants to really master this Rook+Pawn vs Rook ending - I suggest "Secrets of Rook Endings"
    by John Nunn, as the ultimate tome of knowledge.
    (look it up in Amazon.com)
    to the user of the book: Use it as an Encyclopedia not a study guide.
    This is not light material so you (the casual player) do not need this book untill you've studied at least one book on rook endings.

As for the game in discussion, analysis wil show that both sides missed few chances earlier... but thats ususally the case with rook endings.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree