1. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    24 Nov '05 16:48
    Originally posted by TippedKing
    I really liked "Chess Endgame Lessons" by Pal Benko. It is out of print, and has been for some time, but you can still find a copy occasionally on places like eBay.
    Abebooks.co.uk will find almost any book that exists.
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    24 Nov '05 18:291 edit
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    Abebooks.co.uk will find almost any book that exists.
    In the US, use http://www.abebooks.com/

Chess Endgame Lessons.
    Benko, Pal.
    Bookseller: Berryville Old Book Shop
    (Berryville, VA, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 60.00
    [Convert Currency] Shipping within U.S.A.:
    US$ 3.00
    [Rates & Speeds] Add Book to Shopping Basket

Book Description: No publisher, 1989., 1989. 254 pgs. Very good oversized softcover copy Compilation of Benko's columns from Chess Life; previous owner's bookplate. Bookseller Inventory # 3516

[Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller]
    Chess endgame lessons
    Benko, Pal (International Chess Grandmaster)
    Bookseller: Harvest Book Company
    (Fort Washington, PA, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 145.00
    US$ 3.95

Book Description: none 1989; c1989, 1989. Limited Edition B&W Photographs and Illustrations Oversized Paperback. [4] leaves, 243 p. ill. 28 cm. Excellent condition. Signed by author. No. 95/10 0 Limited Edition * * * Selling books of merit since 1988. * * * Prompt, Pr ofessional Service. Satisfaction Guaranteed. * * *. Bookseller Inventory # 448206

Chess Endgame Lessons
    Benko, Pal
    Bookseller: Telegraph Books
    (Berkeley, CA, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 153.00
    FREE

Book Description: International Chess Grandmaster., 1990. Good. Good. (Binding: Soft Cover, Jacket: No Jacket). Bookseller Inventory # 1608156

Chess Endgame Lessons -- Volumes I and II
    Benko, Pal
    Bookseller: Heights Books, Inc.
    (Brooklyn, NY, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 180.00
    US$ 4.00

Book Description: No Publisher, No Place, 1990. Original Wraps. Book Condition: Near Fine. Diagrams (illustrator). Revised Edition. RARE. We have not seen another copy of this set, in either its 1989 original edition or its 1990 revised edition, offered for sale anywhere. This is a copy of the 1990 revised edition, in two volumes. Bound in original wrappers with black type and black chessboard diagram on front cover, black type on back cover, blank spine. Volume I has light gray wrappers; volume II has lime-green wrappers. Interior clean and fresh; slight shelfwear to covers. NOTE: The size and weight of this set may require special shipping arrangements. 2 volume Set. Bookseller Inventory # 006733

3. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    25 Nov '05 00:27
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    In the US, use http://www.abebooks.com/

Chess Endgame Lessons.
    Benko, Pal.
    Bookseller: Berryville Old Book Shop
    (Berryville, VA, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 60.00
    US$ 3.00

Book Description: No publisher, 1989., 1989. 254 pgs. Very good oversized softcover cop ...[text shortened]... ookseller Inventory # 006733

Your best spam yet. Keep it up.
  4. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    25 Nov '05 07:44
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    Your best spam yet. Keep it up.
    abebooks is a legitimate site. Got a first edition Kingsley Amis "On Drink" from there.
  5. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    25 Nov '05 11:44

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    25 Nov '05 12:06
    I wish I had learnt some endgame theory before accepting a draw in this game Game 1439270 😳 Still can't believe I didn't take a closer look at how easy it would have been to promote the pawn.

In my opinion though tactics are far more important to learn first, as they can give you a more managable end game which you won't need study for. I haven't read any chess books and would actually consider openings to be of greater use than endgame in games at my sort of rating level and these can be easily picked up through google. If your pawns are all over the place as the result of a bad opening then you can forget trying to win the game at the end.
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    25 Nov '05 12:20
    Originally posted by TheGambit
    I wish I had learnt some endgame theory before accepting a draw in this game Game 1439270 😳 Still can't believe I didn't take a closer look at how easy it would have been to promote the pawn.
    Easy? Don't you mean impossible?

D
  8. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    25 Nov '05 12:59
    As long as the pawn isn't on the a/h-file move your King up one side of the pawn and the opposing King cannot stop the promotion......I think. Can someone confirm or am I making an a55 out of myself?
  9. Joined
    11 Aug '03
    Moves
    25 Nov '05 13:19
    You're opponent would have been able to stop you getting alongside and ahead of the pawn, by retaining the opposition with his/her king, and thus force a draw. I think I'd have played on so they proved that they knew this though.
  10. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    25 Nov '05 13:25
    I still can't see how, their king has to move backwards at which point I could have moved my King alongside the pawn, after that there's not a lot he can do as long as I kept my king at the side.

I must be missing something if it isn't possible and the fact two people have said it's not possible means there is a move black can make that I haven't seen 😕
  11. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    25 Nov '05 14:131 edit
    I must be missing something if it isn't possible and the fact two people have said it's not possible means there is a move black can make that I haven't seen 😕
    Black to move:
    1...Kc7
    2. Kd5 Kd7
    3. c6+ Kc8
    4. Kd6 Kd8
    5. c7+ Kc8 drawn.

White to move:
    Still drawn.

With your rating, you should know better.

For the best chance of promotion, the King should always be advanced ahead of the Pawn.
  12. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    25 Nov '05 14:39
    Well that clears that then, thanks.

Not sure why I should know better, end game is not my forte and, as I have already said, I don't study. From that sort of comment I can see why you take such a slating on this site, had to say your piece didn't you.
  13. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    25 Nov '05 16:57
    Originally posted by rbmorris
    abebooks is a legitimate site. Got a first edition Kingsley Amis "On Drink" from there.
    Take a look at the top of the page... 😞
  14. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    25 Nov '05 17:01
    had to say your piece didn't you.
    I thought I paid you a compliment.

But I'll take it back now.
  15. Behind You!
    Moves
    25 Nov '05 21:594 edits
    TheGambit, I wish rook endings where that simple...

In effect they are (sometimes Very) difficult as one can win/lose or miss a win/draw if he makes one wrong move!.

This kind of position is hardly easy to evaluate in a glance. You have to analyse the moves carefuly in order to obtain a fair evaluation.
    This ia true for advanced players as well, that is to say this ending is Not easy, so dont expect to master it in 5 mins (unless you are related to Capablanca...).

I suspect that in your above game you (and your oponent) have missed a few chances to win.

If I may add, I consider myself not too bad in the endgame 'zone' ,still I lost (still does, but on fewer occasions) quite a few games I should have drawn, and drawn won positions.

In addition, regarding endgame training in general, I seriously doubt that after reading a basic endgame book (or two) you will be able to master rook endings (or any ending fo that matter), but at least you will understand why you won/lost.🙂

The key is to practice alot (note: Practice and Alot) of positions until you 'feel' the position. yep, no shortcuts please.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree