Opening help against 1.e4

Opening help against 1.e4

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
12 Aug 06

Hello.

I have a long-play tournament coming up in a few weeks, and really need to sort my openings out.

I have no idea what to play against 1.e4, and this is my big problem. I have tried most things in friendly games, but no one move stands out for me.

Against 1.d4, I normally play the Kings Indian when I can, but I don't know the opening very well, so I normally end up with a bad position out of that.

Against c4, I normally try to transpose to a KID by playing 1...Nf6, followed by ...g6, Bg7 and d6 - I don't know if that is any good or not.

If anyone has any improvements to this for me or any suggestions (lines or openings) that they recommend I could study, please post them here.

Many thanks for your help 🙂

Skims

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
12 Aug 06

Originally posted by skims
Hello.

I have a long-play tournament coming up in a few weeks, and really need to sort my openings out.

I have no idea what to play against 1.e4, and this is my big problem. I have tried most things in friendly games, but no one move stands out for me.

Against 1.d4, I normally play the Kings Indian when I can, but I don't know the opening very well, ...[text shortened]... they recommend I could study, please post them here.

Skims
1.e4 e5 easiest thing to play in my opinion and best for beginners.

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 Nizmo or Bogo-Indian.

1.c4 e5

1.Nf3 Nf6 wait and see what white wants to play.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
12 Aug 06

Originally posted by skims
Hello.

Against 1.d4, I normally play the Kings Indian when I can, but I don't know the opening very well, ...[text shortened]... they recommend I could study, please post them here.

Skims
You really have 4 main responses to consider

e5 or c5 if you want games with potentially more fireworks.

e6 or c6 if you prefer a quieter, waiting game.

Other moves are possible but I would disregard them for now.

Based on your preferences to d4 I would suggest e6 (French defense) is your preferred choice. c6 can be quite difficult for beginners and the possible lines after both e5 or c5 transposing into open or closed games or a number of scary gambits can be daunting and I presume you have already tried e5 and don't really like it.

My preferred choice is usually e5.

k

washington

Moves
12 Aug 06

i prefer c5 but there is a lot of theory to it. if you dont have time to study a lot i wouldn't suggest the sicicilian but it does have some of the more fun games. d5 exd5 Nf6 is also an easy opening for black. one of the more annoying variations that i dont like to play as white is e4 e5 Nf3 Nc6 its fairly easy for black but white has more thinking to do.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
12 Aug 06

Originally posted by kmac27
i prefer c5 but there is a lot of theory to it. if you dont have time to study a lot i wouldn't suggest the sicicilian but it does have some of the more fun games. d5 exd5 Nf6 is also an easy opening for black. one of the more annoying variations that i dont like to play as white is e4 e5 Nf3 Nc6 its fairly easy for black but white has more thinking to do.
I don't like d5 it loses a tempo when black recaptures with the Q and theory has it that the initiative is conceded to white and that the best black can hope for is a draw.

k

washington

Moves
12 Aug 06

doesn't black recapture with the kings knight?

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
12 Aug 06

doesn't black recapture with the kings knight?
Not if
1. e4 .. d5
2. eXd .. QXd
3. Nc3 gaining the tempo and (according to my book instantly having the better game)

k

washington

Moves
12 Aug 06

what if instead of the queen take black brings out his knight to f6? he will win the pawn. and if black tries to keep it he offers another pawn for developement and now black has 2 developed pieces vs none.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
12 Aug 06

what if instead of the queen take black brings out his knight to f6? he will win the pawn. and if black tries to keep it he offers another pawn for developement and now black has 2 developed pieces vs none.
1. e4 .. d5,
2. ed .. Nf6;
3. d4 .. Nd5;
4. Nf3 .. Bg4;
5. Be2 .. Nc6;
6. c4 .. Nb6; etc.

does not change anything. Black is still saying "I'm happy with a draw" so if you want to win as black don't play this.

Its only saving grace is there are less complications than in e5 and c5 as replies.

F

Gothenburg City! xD

Moves
12 Aug 06

Correct, but I don´t trust blacks position.

Against e4: I have always played c5. I think it gives black good winning chanses in the Drgon and The Schveshnikov.

Against d4: d5 and then the Chigorin if I really have to win or the Qgambit accepted if not.

Against c4: Most Often Nc6. If then d4 then i play d5 and we have the Chigorin but if Nf3 or something comes I play e5 followed by g6 Bg7 d6 Be6 and if my enemy plays g3 then: h5 h4 Qd7 Bh3... sac, sac MATE!
You can Also play 1... c5 for a more quiet game ;P

Against Nf3: You can play 1...c5 and hope for 2.e4 If c4 I have positions I have played anyway. Or I can play Nc6, if d4 then d5 followed by Bg4 and whites best is to play c4 and we have a chigorin.
and if c4 we play e5 and we have the above system.

That´s my (black) 24/7 reportiar. (if that´s the right letterz?9

FixarN

k

washington

Moves
12 Aug 06

i dont play d5 as black but the people i have played that played that against me had very annoying games.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
12 Aug 06

i dont play d5 as black but the people i have played that played that against me had very annoying games.
It's annoying because it is played so rarely (because it is not great for black) that most players with the white pieces aren't prepared.

Y

Moves
12 Aug 06

if you can spend all your time studying, then I would say 1. ...c5 and a good book on a chosen Sicilian variation.

I don't know much about the french and carokann so I can't say anything about them.

1. ...e5 takes less study than the Sicilian and the most popular second move for white by far is 2. Nf3. the Ruy Lopez seems to be the most widely used double king pawn game, so I would consider studying that. I would also suggest going over the Giouco Piano/Two Knight's Defense (pick ONE imo). Since you play the KID, I think you would prefer the more aggresive Two Knights Defense. Or you could skip all of that and play the Petroff Defense 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6

Whether or not to look over the King's Gambit and Center Game/Danish Gambit is up to you.