opening ideas?

opening ideas?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A

Moves
17 Dec 06

i have some trouble against 3 openings. my favorite opening is e4 followed by bishop c4 and knight f3. or the kings gambit. as black i like the petroff defense. what are the best openings against if i'm black and the oponent plays d4? how about if i'm white and i play e4 and the oponent plays c5? or when i play e4 and the opponet plays e6?

SS

Moves
17 Dec 06
2 edits

N

The sky

Moves
17 Dec 06

Originally posted by Arrak
i have some trouble against 3 openings. my favorite opening is e4 followed by bishop c4 and knight f3. or the kings gambit. as black i like the petroff defense. what are the best openings against if i'm black and the oponent plays d4? how about if i'm white and i play e4 and the oponent plays c5? or when i play e4 and the opponet plays e6?
Different people at different stages like different openings, so I don't think it's possible to say "this opening is best". I used http://www.eudesign.com/chessops/ch-clear.htm a lot to find openings to my own liking. You can try out different openings and get some explanation about what the moves achieve or what problems they may cause. You can choose the moves yourself, or you can let the site suggest a move for you (it'll also give alternatives). Just a little warning - it doesn't have a very extensive database, and if a move isn't in the database, you'll be told "You can do better than that!", even though it may be a perfectly sensible and not very uncommon move.