1. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jun '11 08:41
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    When I play the KIA I sometimes transpose into a line of the Reti that I learned from Keene's Flank Openings, and Keene points out that when it was played in the 1920's the correct path for Black was confirmed.

I play the line anyway, and no one in the last 20 years has played the best line, and even then it's equal, so I'm risking very little ...[text shortened]... es, as they are easier for me to remember, and the plans are clearer. What he says, works.
    Thanks, this is also very enlightening.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jun '11 08:44
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    "You go to art school in the Northeast?"

In the RHP world Northeast is in Russia. (see latest blog)
    I do wish you guys would get up to speed.

At the under 2000 level Just armed with the idea and spirit of an
    opening plus a few illustrative games one should be able to get into
    a comfortable middle game.

Of course if one's opponent should st ...[text shortened]... to give you all the tactical solutions to memorise,
    these you have to work out for yourself.
    yes this is interesting i find myself struggling with the descriptive notation and i sometimes reach positions that are not the text ones and immediately sense that something is wrong, its then that i amuse myself looking at the tactical continuations of my wrong position, there is something to be said for entertaining oneself simply with a chess board and pieces.
  3. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    08 Jun '11 08:54
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes this is interesting i find myself struggling with the descriptive notation and i sometimes reach positions that are not the text ones and immediately sense that something is wrong, its then that i amuse myself looking at the tactical continuations of my wrong position, there is something to be said for entertaining oneself simply with a chess board and pieces.
    I reckon that if you stick with an opening long enough you eventually learn to stop losing with it!

Of course in the old days you "entertained yourself" with the board and pieces looking for all the things going on in the position before heading off to the tournament hall. Nowadays you can play countless games on line in your chosen openings which will weed out a good number of your misconceptions.

It took me a few games on line to be fall for, or be threatened with knight forks on e3 playing against the Benko Gambit before I "learned" not to play f4. Was it Reti who said, "You must first learn to combine before attempting to play positionally" or something like that anyway.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree