Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member rbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    22 Apr '05 20:09
    Can someone recommend a good solid opening for white that does not require tons and tons of memorization? I'm not looking for anything terribly advanced, as I'm only a 1350 player.
  2. 22 Apr '05 20:24
    As white, I prefer the Ruy Lopez, it's a good opening with several variations to it. But it really depends on your playing style too
  3. Standard member buffalobill
    Major Bone
    22 Apr '05 21:07
    Originally posted by chosenone6666
    As white, I prefer the Ruy Lopez, it's a good opening with several variations to it. But it really depends on your playing style too
    Agreed. Learn and understand the Ruy Lopez - the oldest and still the most sound of all openings. It defines the basics of chess strategy. Once you understand the principles and strategies of this opening, only then should you move on to other openings.
    Might I add that the strongest player on this site also favours the Ruy Lopez?
  4. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    22 Apr '05 23:46
    Originally posted by rbmorris
    Can someone recommend a good solid opening for white that does not require tons and tons of memorization? I'm not looking for anything terribly advanced, as I'm only a 1350 player.
    Do you require an opening for Stanley Random Chess (SRC) or Simplified Stanley Random Chess (SSRC), also known as Common Chess?
  5. Standard member ark13
    Enola Straight
    22 Apr '05 23:53
    Alright, bowmann. I broke down and tried to find out about Stanley Random Chess. But nowhere online could I find the rules. Could you recommend a sight.

And by the way, it's pretty obvious that they weren't asking for a Stanley Random Chess opening.
  6. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    23 Apr '05 00:36
    Originally posted by ark13
    Alright, bowmann. I broke down and tried to find out about Stanley Random Chess. But nowhere online could I find the rules. Could you recommend a sight.

And by the way, it's pretty obvious that they weren't asking for a Stanley Random Chess opening.
    I just like to be sure. Players should not forget that Stanley Random (SR) chess is much older and that "traditional" chess is merely an inferior and simplified variant of SR Chess.

Anyway, a good place to start is the Stanley Random FAQ:

http://geocities.com/verdrahciretop/src9.html
  7. Standard member ark13
    Enola Straight
    23 Apr '05 00:50
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    I just like to be sure. Players should not forget that Stanley Random (SR) chess is much older and that "traditional" chess is merely an inferior and simplified variant of SR Chess.

Anyway, a good place to start is the Stanley Random FAQ:

http://geocities.com/verdrahciretop/src9.html
    Already seen it. There is no where that anyone will give even a very simple discription of the rules.

Oh, and if you want to play Stanley Random Chess online, try schemining mind.
  8. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    23 Apr '05 01:30 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by ark13
    Already seen it. There is no where that anyone will give even a very simple discription of the rules.

Oh, and if you want to play Stanley Random Chess online, try schemining mind.
    From SchemingMind: "While SR Chess appears superficially to be similar to Standard Chess, it is actually a far more advanced and complex form of chess that predates Standard Chess, and requires greater creativity and more imaginative play. SR Chess implements the extra rules governing move sequences and board patterns that were later lost when Standard Chess developed as a result of the Great SR Chess Purge in the nineteenth century."

Unfortunately, it's not easy to reproduce the rules on a website. At the last count the official ISRCF handbook consisted of 175 volumes (which have to be transported to tournaments by articulated lorry).

By far the best way to learn the game is by watching experienced players.
  9. 23 Apr '05 02:13
    I like the Bishop's Opening, Closed Sicilian, and KIA for the French and
    Carro Kann (and anything else that I'm not familar with).

See "Attacking with e4" by John Emms for more info.
  10. Standard member shortgoth1
    Usually drunk
    23 Apr '05 12:20 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by rbmorris
    *cough*

Guys, he asked for a simple opening that doesn't require loads of memorisation. the Ruy goes ~20 moves deep into theory, as do closed sicilians, and the KIA also gets pretty complex quickly.

So, I'd recommend the scotch: 1.e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3.d4. the "3.d4" is also playable is black plays 2...Nf6 2....d6 or 2...Bc5

And of course, if black goes for the Sicilian, I love the smith-morra. The advance vs the French is playable and easy to learn
  11. Standard member Dfthd
    Unicorn Equestrain
    23 Apr '05 14:22
    Originally posted by shortgoth1
    *cough*

Guys, he asked for a [b]simple
    opening that doesn't require loads of memorisation. the Ruy goes ~20 moves deep into theory, as do closed sicilians, and the KIA also gets pretty complex quickly.

So, I'd recommend the scotch: 1.e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3.d4. the "3.d4" is also playable is black plays 2...Nf6 2....d6 or 2...Bc5

And of ...[text shortened]... or the Sicilian, I love the smith-morra. The advance vs the French is playable and easy to learn[/b]
    ALL openings can go over 20 moves deep at GM level. I play the Ruy as white and I don't get past move 5-7 in theory. At his level that's more than adaquet to give him good chances. I think the ruy is a good choice for a beginner as its a good opening at any level and maintains the advantage better for white than the scotch as it doesn't exchange early.
  12. 23 Apr '05 15:47
    the london system openig..
    white plays the london..
    [fen]r1bqk2r/pp1nbpp1/2p1pn1p/3p4/3P1B2/2PBPN1P/PP1N1PP1/R2QK2R b KQkq - 0 0
    [/fen]
  13. Standard member Gyr
    23 Apr '05 16:58
    The Colle might be the answer, too ( 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3. e3 e6 4.Bd2 c5 . . . ). The ideas are straightforward, and you can play nearly the same moves against lots of Black responses, and there are some traps if Black isn't careful.

I know, it's too easy for Black to equalize. But you can't have everything.
  14. 23 Apr '05 17:53
    As you are 1350 player I suggest 1. e4 e5 2. Qh5

Kidding!

Try London system (1. d4 d5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. Bf4...). There are few main plans for white depending on what black plays, but you usually play it just as you would Colle, pawns on c3 and e3, Bd3, Qe2, going for e4 break...
    Or try Scoth if you prefer e4 opening. 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4.

15. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    23 Apr '05 18:00
    Originally posted by Gyr
    The Colle might be the answer, too...
    You can't have more than one definitive answer.