1. Glasgow/Scotland
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 07:42
    Might sound like a bit of a vague question this.

What's the best way to study openings? I'd like to sort that part of my game out, fed up having lost positions before move 10.

I'm looking for some sort of user-friendly computer programme, rather than a book.

Thanks
  2. Joined
    19 Aug '02
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 10:52
    Originally posted by thetank444

What's the best way to study openings? I'd like to sort that part of my game out, fed up having lost positions before move 10.

I'm looking for some sort of user-friendly computer programme, rather than a book.

Thanks
    Frist decide on a repertoire and then stick with it. By this I mean work out what you are goiing to play first as White. As Black work out what you are going answer 1.c4, 1.d4, 1.e4 and 1.f4 with, then stick to these.

Second get a general boook like Modern Chess Openings so that you can find out the common replies for lines whcih you have not seen.

Third, read as many books as you can opn your repertoire.

Fourth, A general book on opening theory be useful.

Finally practise, practise practise

-trekkie
  3. DonationChris
    Site Admin
    Wimbledon
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 11:141 edit

Thanks
    We will soon be launching a feature on the site to allow you to work through the database of all RHP games for players rated 1400 and over.

You will see how many times each move has been made from any given position, along with the percentage of white wins and black wins.

You will also be able to select an opening and study the games where that opening has been used.

Hopefully this will be a help in studying the openings. The first version of this should be available on the site within the next week.

I've been using this tool in testing to study the King's Gambit and applying it to my games on RHP (almost every game I've played as White in the last 200 or so games has been a King's Gambit game) and it's suprising how quickly I learn the variations.

I particularly like this one....

1. e4 e5 2. f4 f6

When you notice that 80% of games are won by white from this position you start to look at the position more closely and realise why!

-Chris
  4. Joined
    12 Aug '04
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 12:51
    Originally posted by Chris
    We will soon be launching a feature on the site to allow you to work through the database of all RHP games for players rated 1400 and over.

You will see how many times each move has been made from any given position, along with the percentage of white wins and black wins.

You will also be able to select an opening and study the games where that opening ...[text shortened]... rom this position you start to look at the position more closely and realise why!

-Chris
    This site is getting better and better. I can hardly wait. 🙂
  5. Joined
    01 Feb '06
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 13:10
    i know a lot of players like bookup for learning openings if you want a computer program. The site bookup.com reads like a bad snake oil sales pitch but i've read a lot of glowing reports by decent chess players so there must be something in it.
  6. Glasgow/Scotland
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 14:27
    Thanks everyone. 🙂
  7. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 16:14

You will also be able to select an opening and study the games where that opening ...[text shortened]... rom this position you start to look at the position more closely and realise why!

-Chris
    A welcome addition when it becomes active! Will this be part of the search games feature, or will it be available right on the game screen?
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 20:19

-Chris
    Oh God Chris, that's awesome!

First:The DB thing will rule 😀.

Second: You play the KG!? Awesome! I don't think I need to spend the time telling you how much I love the opening. 😀 Why aren't you in my clan!?

😀
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 20:20

-Chris
    1.e4 e5 2.f4 f6?

Who played that? f7 is possibly the most important square on the board in the KG, I wish people would play that line against me!
  10. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 20:242 edits

Thanks
    Ooops...people have already answered 😀.

I just love openings., they seem to be the most enjoyable part of the game (To study at least).
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 22:30
    Originally posted by trekkie
    Frist decide on a repertoire and then stick with it. By this I mean work out what you are goiing to play first as White. As Black work out what you are going answer 1.c4, 1.d4, 1.e4 and 1.f4 with, then stick to these.

Second get a general boook like Modern Chess Openings so that you can find out the common replies for lines whcih you have not seen.

Thi ...[text shortened]... A general book on opening theory be useful.

Finally practise, practise practise

-trekkie
    You should keep the 3(b) games off the list. If a user is found to have used an engine, the games should not come up in this data.

Why? I feel it's polution.

P-
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 22:36

-Chris
    Sweet as.

With this addition, RHP will be streaks ahead of the competition.

Will we be able to download groups of a certain players games, including our own, using this?

If ye're looking for Beta testers, I'm in.

D
  13. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 23:51
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    You should keep the 3(b) games off the list. If a user is found to have used an engine, the games should not come up in this data.

Why? I feel it's polution.

P-
    Poll-ution more like.
  14. Joined
    26 May '05
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 00:07
    If you are willing to consider something as old fashioned as a book, then Reuben Fine's Ideas Behind the Chess Openings is hard to beat. I'd stay away from more advanced tomes like MCO until you've got a good understanding of the fundamentals. It's futile trying to memorize variations without understanding the reasons behind the moves.
  15. DonationChris
    Site Admin
    Wimbledon
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 16:26
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    A welcome addition when it becomes active! Will this be part of the search games feature, or will it be available right on the game screen?
    It will have its own screen and be a feature in its own right.

A screenshot of a small version of the database here...

http://www.redhotpawn.com/img/host/gamesexplorer.gif

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree