1. Standard memberSPDChess
    Chess Monk
    Surrey
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 10:31
    Hello,

Hoping to get some feedback on a move. I am often caught in a situation where I can take/trade with more than one piece but no obvious (to me) why I should pick one option over another.

On move 20 of this game
    Game 3123684

I decided to take with the pawn because I thought that having 2 pawns in the center better against his lone pawn and at the time I couldn't see a big advantage on taking with queen or rook.

Would love to hear some feedback. FWIW, I'm sure there are a few errors in the game but right now trying to focus on this specific decision.

Thanks
    Steve
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 11:18
    I only looked at it for 10 seconds but I think capturing with the rook (Rxe6) would have been better... it would have given you control of open file e.
  3. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 11:201 edit
    me too, just a glance, capture with the rook, tho ye'd both double up on rooks - not sure where that would go... but you certainly should have taken advantage of the file instead of weakening your kings safety.
  4. Joined
    15 Jul '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 11:28
    Taking with the pawn looks worse than taking with the rook because after taking with the pawn you are left with a weak backward d6 pawn that your opponent can pile on, the move also slightly weakens your kingside and makes your rook on e8 passive.
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 11:40
    Originally posted by SPDChess
    Hello,

Hoping to get some feedback on a move. I am often caught in a situation where I can take/trade with more than one piece but no obvious (to me) why I should pick one option over another.

On move 20 of this game
    Game 3123684

I decided to take with the pawn because I thought that having 2 pawns in the center better against his lone pawn ...[text shortened]... w errors in the game but right now trying to focus on this specific decision.

Thanks
    Steve
    Tough call. Your chosen move meant you had no isolated pawns, but created a weak backward e pawn. It also blocked the file for the rook, forcing it into passivity.

Taking with the Rook would have meant rooks on 2 open files, with the option of getting a rook battery on e file, but with a heavily pressurised d pawn.

I don't think that move was clear cut. But once you chose one over the other, you needed to play to the strengths/weaknesses of the position. In the game, doubling the rooks on the closed e file was very poor, as then both pieces were effectively taken out of the game.

You should work on your strategy: Silman's How to Reassess your chess is excellent. I hear Seirawan's Brilliant Chess series, including Strategy are good as well, especially for a novice.

D
  6. Standard memberSPDChess
    Chess Monk
    Surrey
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 11:50
    Thanks for your input, I can clearly see now where I err'd, just hope I can see (and avoid it) in future games.

It quite a help to be in an env. where i can ask questions an be able to bounce questions off other players. Never really had that before.

Thanks again
    Steve
  7. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 14:52
    20 ... fxe6 gives you a backward pawn on e6 which ties your pieces down defending it. I'd concur with the above that the rook capture would be more active for you when you can contest the e file. Looking a bit later on in the game aftwer white played 27. Nd1 you had the opportunity to play 27...e5. I reckon that would probably be the freeing move you would need to play with a plan to exchange some of the major pieces so it is safer for you king to help out.
  8. Standard memberSPDChess
    Chess Monk
    Surrey
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 15:23
    Originally posted by tapestry
    20 ... fxe6 gives you a backward pawn on e6 which ties your pieces down defending it. I'd concur with the above that the rook capture would be more active for you when you can contest the e file. Looking a bit later on in the game aftwer white played 27. Nd1 you had the opportunity to play 27...e5. I reckon that would probably be the freeing move you wou ...[text shortened]... play with a plan to exchange some of the major pieces so it is safer for you king to help out.
    Thanks for the input. I have to admit it was right around there and from then on that I felt completely outa my league :-( I basically sat there starting at the board not knowing what to do or where to go. Felt like I was playing Jenga, afraid anything I did would bring it all tumbling down.

Steve
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 16:08
    Originally posted by SPDChess
    Thanks for the input. I have to admit it was right around there and from then on that I felt completely outa my league :-( I basically sat there starting at the board not knowing what to do or where to go. Felt like I was playing Jenga, afraid anything I did would bring it all tumbling down.

Steve
    Instead of being forced into passivity by trying to defend the backward e pawn, you needed to try to create counterplay and threats elsewhere.

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree