Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    31 Jan '10 03:09
    Sorry if this is a dumb question with an easy answer, but how can a player keep his vacation flag up for days now, but has played moves and different points just within the last day? I'm in a tournament and still waiting for the guy to make his first move (which normally does not require much effort), and it just seems unusual.

    Paul
  2. 31 Jan '10 03:43
    The vacation settings are normally fixed and depending on how you set it, you can't turn it off once the vacation is in progress.

    Sometimes someone might set it to be on vacation for the following week. In he middle of the week, he/she might be able to make a move but not be able to turn it off. The person being stuck with that vacation till the week is over.

    A way round it is to set a vacation to be a day at a time, so following days can be turned off.
  3. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    31 Jan '10 05:52
    If I'm on the Gold Coast and pass an internet cafe, I'm going to check my emails and maybe even get in a move or two on RHP. Compulsive chessplayers can't help themselves, even when they're on vacation. They're probably not going to make every possible move though, unless the spouse is extremely tolerant.
  4. Standard member orion25
    Art is hard
    31 Jan '10 08:49
    the vacation flag could be just to avoid some timeout
  5. Standard member theonecolin
    Theonecolin
    31 Jan '10 11:59
    I travel a lot for work , and if i am unsure i can get to the internet whilst travelling with customers i put the vacation on to avoid timeouts - to date never been timed out on a game
  6. 31 Jan '10 20:21
    I've got exactly the same scenario going on right now - in one of my 3-7 games my opponent hasn't moved for two weeks yet is making regular moves in his other games under the vacation flag.

    First time it's happened to me, and it just seems like a cheap way to get extra time. If he keeps his vacation flag up indefinitely, does that mean that he can never timeout? Seems a bit against the spirit of the site...
  7. 31 Jan '10 23:39
    Originally posted by rogilvie
    I've got exactly the same scenario going on right now - in one of my 3-7 games my opponent hasn't moved for two weeks yet is making regular moves in his other games under the vacation flag.

    First time it's happened to me, and it just seems like a cheap way to get extra time. If he keeps his vacation flag up indefinitely, does that mean that he can never timeout? Seems a bit against the spirit of the site...
    Well. If he moves anyway and is using vacation then technically he is closer to being timed out by you which is a good thing. There is a thread in the Site Ideas Forum on whether or not to:

    1. Show all vacation time claimed by players and total vacation time left to players.

    and

    2. Whether or not there should be a feature where games and tournament can be setup that would not allow the use of vacation time.

    I support both these ideas because all time controls, including vacation, should be shown to both players as they effects both players, and because I'd like games that don't allow vacation because the pace of a game is not hindered. There is really no point to setting up games or tournaments with 1/0 time controls if a total of 36 days vacation can be used during them.

    If you like these ideas please rec my post.
  8. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    01 Feb '10 03:09
    Originally posted by rogilvie
    I've got exactly the same scenario going on right now - in one of my 3-7 games my opponent hasn't moved for two weeks yet is making regular moves in his other games under the vacation flag.

    First time it's happened to me, and it just seems like a cheap way to get extra time. If he keeps his vacation flag up indefinitely, does that mean that he can never timeout? Seems a bit against the spirit of the site...
    Your impression is my impression, which is why I started the thread and asked the question- I wanted to know if this was my lack of understanding or if there really was something funny about it. Thanks for the input!
  9. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    01 Feb '10 03:09
    Originally posted by TSaffle
    Well. If he moves anyway and is using vacation then technically he is closer to being timed out by you which is a good thing. There is a thread in the Site Ideas Forum on whether or not to:

    1. Show all vacation time claimed by players and total vacation time left to players.

    and

    2. Whether or not there should be a feature where games and tournament ...[text shortened]... al of 36 days vacation can be used during them.

    If you like these ideas please rec my post.
    Rec'd
  10. 01 Feb '10 04:04
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Rec'd
    Cool
  11. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    01 Feb '10 17:07
    Originally posted by rogilvie
    I've got exactly the same scenario going on right now - in one of my 3-7 games my opponent hasn't moved for two weeks yet is making regular moves in his other games under the vacation flag.

    First time it's happened to me, and it just seems like a cheap way to get extra time. If he keeps his vacation flag up indefinitely, does that mean that he can never timeout? Seems a bit against the spirit of the site...
    He can't stay on vacation indefinitely - you only get 36 days of vacation per year.
  12. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    02 Feb '10 03:26
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    He can't stay on vacation indefinitely - you only get 36 days of vacation per year.
    Thanks for the heads up!