Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 14 Jan '08 08:44
    Wondering what methods other CC players use to organize their game notes and analysis. I know many probably don't (I didn't use to) but I know there are some more serious CC players here who do. Would like to hear from them as to what they find works best.
  2. 14 Jan '08 10:37
    Originally posted by scandium
    Wondering what methods other CC players use to organize their game notes and analysis. I know many probably don't (I didn't use to) but I know there are some more serious CC players here who do. Would like to hear from them as to what they find works best.
    I'm certainly not a serious CC player, but I use ChessBase to organize my games and my in-game analysis. It's an excellent tool, which by the way is very similar to ChessDB -which is free.
  3. 14 Jan '08 15:34
    I just sort out the losses into a separate folder so I can analyze them later.
  4. 14 Jan '08 15:38
    I put them all in a Word-document. There I can comment, put positions, edit the opening repertoire, and other interesting information.

Then I print it out 100 games at the time and have my own library of my RHP games.
  5. 14 Jan '08 16:37
    I wish RHP would allow you to download all of your games to a PGN format, but alas it doesn't (that I know of).

I use ChessDb and/or ChessBase.
  6. 14 Jan '08 16:50
    Originally posted by Chesswick
    I wish RHP would allow you to download all of your games to a PGN format, but alas it doesn't (that I know of).

I use ChessDb and/or ChessBase.
    You can download the last 100 games in one go.
    I too wish that ou can download all your games, but also all games from a particular tournament.
  7. 14 Jan '08 16:58
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    I just sort out the losses into a separate folder so I can analyze them later.
    I pull losses and draws into a folder named ToBe Analyzed. Once analyzed I have a folder named "Analyzed" that they move into. When bored I may pull other games from my completed games and analyze them.
  8. 14 Jan '08 19:54
    Actually I meant organizing your games in progress, i.e. for the purpose of making notes and analyzing variations. I know the software has an analysis board feature but its very primitive. And its note taking function is pretty much broken. I'm looking for a better way to analyze variations while the game is in progress (i.e. database research, moving the pieces around, etc) but in such a way that I have the fruits of this labour conveniently stored for when I do a proper post-mortem afterwards, and to avoid repeating variations I've already analyzed (for instance if I can't complete it in one sitting).

Chessbase may be the way to go after all for this. With it I can create and save easily referred to sub-variations and also annotate and mark with a simple symbolic evaluation. This way once the game's over and I run it through an engine I can see where my analysis was on the money and where it wasn't. Then try to figure out why.

And the fringe benefit I suppose is that I build my own database of heavily analyzed games.
  9. 15 Jan '08 22:33
    Actually I meant organizing your games in progress, i.e. for the purpose of making notes and analyzing variations. I know the software has an analysis board feature but its very primitive. And its note taking function is pretty much broken. I'm looking for a better way to analyze variations while the game is in progress (i.e. database research, moving the p ...[text shortened]... And the fringe benefit I suppose is that I build my own database of heavily analyzed games.
    I agree about the "notebook" feature. RHP is one of the most functional, well-designed websites I've ever seen, but 250 bytes is useless for making notes on a game. About the only thing it would be good for is someone who plays a large number of simultaneous games who needs to make brief notes about plans for the next move on each.
  10. 16 Jan '08 06:42 / 2 edits
    FabianFnas wrote:
    I too wish that ou can download all your games,

that is not exactly true, in fact you can
    you can download 100 games from a time period you determine.
    So lets say you started rhp exactly a year ago, just put 365 days.
    You will then download 100 games starting from a year ago. Look at the date of the last game in the txt file you receive by email. If your last of the 100 games is lets say on 16/06/2007, put as time period 214 days (days in between today and 16/06/07) and so on...
    You can download the whole history, but only with 100 games per file.

polux