1. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    23 Mar '07 06:47
    Hello. Yesterday I went to the chessclub I've been frequenting lately, and played a game with time controls of 10/0.

I was up a bishop and had a winning game. Then I went to move my knight, touched it for a second and did not pick it up, and my opponent claimed I had lost the game. This is because the knight should have been pinned by his queen to my king.

So whats the ruling here? Because of the touch rule, am I forced to move the knight and subsequently have my king taken? I'm sure his point of view is that it was a blitz game where the king could be taken. But on the other hand, can I compelled to make an illegal move? I never picked up the piece, in fact I barely touched it, and it was still my turn.

So whats the ruling here? I'm very curious.

By the way I resolved this and just gave him the game because I really didn't care that much. I knew I had a won game and he had to pull some dumb technicality to defeat me. I figured that if you have to be so lame that you need to walk away from a friendly game of chess with a retarded victory as such, that he needed it more than I did. But next time if he gays out I want to be prepared with documentation of his lameness and ignorance of the rules.

Thank you all.
  2. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    23 Mar '07 06:571 edit
    Originally posted by Dies Irae
    Hello. Yesterday I went to the chessclub I've been frequenting lately, and played a game with time controls of 10/0.

I was up a bishop and had a winning game. Then I went to move my knight, touched it for a second and did not pick it up, and my opponent claimed I had lost the game. This is because the knight should have been pinned by his queen to my prepared with documentation of his lameness and ignorance of the rules.

Thank you all.
    If the piece touched cannot be moved you can make any legal move.

Edit: just checked for the exact wording, which is:
    4.5 If none of the pieces touched can be moved or captured, the player may make any legal move.
  3. Under Cover
    Moves
    23 Mar '07 07:00

I was up a bishop and had a winning game. Then I went to move my knight, touched it for a second and did not pick it up, and my opponent claimed I had lost the game. This is because the knight should have been pinned by his queen to my ...[text shortened]... prepared with documentation of his lameness and ignorance of the rules.

Thank you all.
    According to the Laws of Chess, posted on the FIDE website (that is, unless this club player doesn’t think FIDE knows anything about the rules of the game of Chess):

http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=EE101

4.5 If none of the pieces touched can be moved or captured, the player may make any legal move.
  4. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    23 Mar '07 07:02
    Hmmm, thats what I was thinking for official games of chess. But according to good old wikipedia

A common rule used in "blitz tournaments" is that if a player makes an illegal move, the player's opponent may point it out and claim a win. For example, if a player leaves his or her king in check, the other player may claim the win. This rule can be left out for a friendly game or left in for what some consider to be a more exciting and fun game.

So i guess it comes down to which rule takes precedence?
  5. Under Cover
    Moves
    23 Mar '07 07:161 edit
    Hmmm, thats what I was thinking for official games of chess. But according to good old wikipedia

A common rule used in "blitz tournaments" is that if a player makes an illegal move, the player's opponent may point it out and claim a win. For example, if a player leaves his or her king in check, the other player may claim the win. This rule can b ...[text shortened]... re exciting and fun game.

So i guess it comes down to which rule takes precedence?
    Not really. I have to assume that your opponent was declaring that you made an illegal move by touching the pinned knight. If so, see the rules below. I would further assert that you did not make an illegal move, because the piece that you touched was not moveable as stated above. Either way, in a casual game this is just a silly debate.

C. Blitz

C1. A `blitz` game is one where all the moves must be made in a fixed time of less than 15 minutes for each player; or the allotted time + 60 times any increment is less than 15 minutes.

C3. An illegal move is completed once the opponent`s clock has been started. The opponent is entitled to claim a win before he has made his own move. However, if the opponent cannot checkmate the player`s king by any possible series of legal moves with the most unskilled counterplay, then the claimant is entitled to claim a draw before he has made his own move. Once the opponent has made his own move, an illegal move cannot be corrected
  6. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    23 Mar '07 07:22
    Originally posted by BLReid
    Not really. I have to assume that your opponent was declaring that you made an illegal move by touching the pinned knight. If so, see the rules below. I would further assert that you did not make an illegal move, because the piece that you touched was not moveable as stated above. Either way, in a casual game this is just a silly debate.

C. Blitz

C1. ...[text shortened]... made his own move. Once the opponent has made his own move, an illegal move cannot be corrected
    Aha, that looks good. Thank you. What is the source of this so I can shove it in his dumb, petty face?

I agree completely in a casual game this is idiocy. Thats why I didn't even argue with him and let the baby have his bottle.
  7. Under Cover
    Moves
    23 Mar '07 08:141 edit
    Aha, that looks good. Thank you. What is the source of this so I can shove it in his dumb, petty face?

I agree completely in a casual game this is idiocy. Thats why I didn't even argue with him and let the baby have his bottle.
    You will find what you need here:

http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=EE1

Touch move is covered under the Laws of Chess, 4.5 (see my first post above).

Blitz is covered in the Appendices section C (See my second post above).

I really don't think anything else applies here.
  8. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    23 Mar '07 08:191 edit

I was up a bishop and had a winning game. Then I went to move my knight, touched it for a second and did not pick it up, and my opponent claimed I had lost the game. This is because the knight should have been pinned by his queen to my prepared with documentation of his lameness and ignorance of the rules.

Thank you all.
    If you have not actually moved the piece then (certainly) there is no problem, as you cannot make a legal move with than piece you may move any other piece.

If you have made a move a number of situations may usually apply [I am not 100% sure if these are FIDE rules or modified rules that apply for most tournaments in which I play].
    1. because it is an illegal move it cannot be made. You may make another move and suffer a time penalty. This is the most usual position for most occurances;
    2. If is a 2nd or subsequent illegal move then you opponent simply captures your king to claim the win (sometimes this is the rule applied for the 1st occurance)
    [sometimes you are required to press you clock to signify completion of the move and could rectify things by making another move anyway]
  9. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    24 Mar '07 00:37
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree