1. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 21:40
    My board vision isn't that great to begin with. I hang pieces on a CC site more often than should happen. That said, my board vision OTB is terrible. My guess is I play around 1000-1100 when I sit in front of an actual board. Does anyone have suggestions?
  2. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 21:55
    tactics, tactics, tactics ?! And more tactics ?! As in CC you have all the time in the world check for blunders before you submit your move (examine checks, undefended/inadequatly defended pieces, double attacks). If you do that on every move, you can start to play so much better in no time.

As for calculation abilities (if you care about OTB) try to calculate all in your head and only then use the analysis board.
  3. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 22:01
    I've been playing tons of CC and little to no OTB, so I think that understand your situation. Ivan's advice is sound. Take your time. If you are not seeing certain things (like diagonals for example) try changing the position of your body & head so that you see the board from different angles.
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 22:51
    Originally posted by amolv06
    My board vision isn't that great to begin with. I hang pieces on a CC site more often than should happen. That said, my board vision OTB is terrible. My guess is I play around 1000-1100 when I sit in front of an actual board. Does anyone have suggestions?
    Play as many slow OTB games as you can?

Also, you might try some exercises like Heisman suggests in this Novice Nook:

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/heisman32.pdf
  5. USA
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 01:15
    Originally posted by amolv06
    I used to have the exact same problem. Michael de la maza's "chess vision" drills really helped me out there. Google "Michael de la maza 400 points in 400 days" and his article should come up where he describes the drills.
  6. Joined
    21 Aug '07
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 03:12
    try this

If you're playing an OTB friendly with your friends for fun, sit on the SAME SIDE as your friend. i.e. Play your position from your opponent's view. It will give you a very interesting "perspective" of the position, and I think that it will help you "see" your opponents intentions better. When you go back to your side I am confident that you will see start to see things develop better and not blunder quite as easily.

Of course you cannot do this in tournament play and on a regular basis.
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 16:59
    Idk what I did but lately ive noticed that alot of the time i dont even calculate anymore in a way because i recognize patterns.
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 17:00
    Originally posted by jnguyen
    try this

If you're playing an OTB friendly with your friends for fun, sit on the SAME SIDE as your friend. i.e. Play your position from your opponent's view. It will give you a very interesting "perspective" of the position, and I think that it will help you "see" your opponents intentions better. When you go back to your side I am confident that you wi ...[text shortened]... uite as easily.

There is no rule that says you cant get up from the board and look at it from the other side.
  9. London
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 17:26
    Originally posted by jnguyen
    try this

If you're playing an OTB friendly with your friends for fun, sit on the SAME SIDE as your friend. i.e. Play your position from your opponent's view. It will give you a very interesting "perspective" of the position, and I think that it will help you "see" your opponents intentions better. When you go back to your side I am confident that you wi ...[text shortened]... uite as easily.

Well I'd agree it would be odd if you went and sat around on the same side as your opponent for the whole of an otb tournament - but during club matches I do sometimes wander about and look over my opponents shoulder...and I've seen others do the same.

Good tip btw
  10. Mililani, Hawaii
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 21:23
    In cc chess on RHP, I've found using the "flip board" option helpful before hitting the "move" button, and using that option has sometime saved me a lot of grief.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree