1. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 12:32
    ....and what does Susan Polgar see in this guy?..😕
    (i seen his pic...she could do waaaaaayyy better.)
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 12:34
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    This is the worst tournament I've ever seen for byes:
    http://www.uschess.org/msa/XtblMain.php?200711110231-12123950

Paul Truong (AKA Mr Susan Polgar) was given two 1 point byes, allowing him to win the tournament with a perfect 5/5! He was White in all three of the games he actually played.
    That's very strange. The USCF rule book is very clear on this issue. From the U.S. Chess Federation's Official Rules of Chess, 5th edition,

"Rule 28L3 - Players ineligible for full point byes - A player must not be given a full point bye more than once, nor should one be awarded to a player who has won an unplayed game due to the opponent's failure to appear."

It would appear that the TD slipped up on this one. Also, one would think that Paul should have known about this rule.
  3. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 12:36

Paul Truong (AKA Mr Susan Polgar) was given two 1 point byes, allowing him to win the tournament with a perfect 5/5! He was White in all three of the games he actually played.
    unbelievable...and he was paired with those low players, and byes as black...and he was much stronger than all the participants...and all these for 1 ELO rating point and to be thw winner of that tournament ?

how did you get to this report ? maybe this should be published in some news site 🙂) ...jokes in chess...
  4. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 12:40
    its under his uschess.org player & rating lookup.

I think this is crap!!
  5. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 12:46

I don't believe that the cross table gives any information on colors for the games. The W indicates a win, not the color white. So we really don't know which colors Paul had for the games he played. (You'd have to look at the pairing list for that info.) You're not supposed to have White three times in a row, so I think we can assume that didn't happen. Then again, considering that the TD didn't know about Rule 28L3, one begins to wonder...
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 12:53

Well, Paul was a co-winner. He tied for first with the TD, with 5 points.
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 12:551 edit
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    I don't believe that the cross table gives any information on colors for the games. The W indicates a win, not the color white. So we really don't know which colors Paul had for the games he played. (You'd have to look at the pairing list for that info.) You're not supposed to have White three times in a row, so I think we can assume that didn't happen. Then again, considering that the TD didn't know about Rule 28L3, one begins to wonder...
    Sorry, you're quite right. W = win, not white.

The Tournament Director was a certain Chase Miles Watters. He played in the tournament himself and was one of two players on 4/4 after round 4, the other being Paul Truong. However rather than playing each other in the last round, Watters had a down float to a player on 3/4 and Truong a down float to a player on 2.5/4.

The byes in this tournament are very strange. Four players had a bye in round 4, which suggests to me that they requested the bye. In every tournament I've played in you only get half a point if you request a bye (and the request has to be submitted prior to the start of the tournament, and most tournaments don't allow this at all) and a whole point only if you receive a bye due to having no opponent.
  8. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 12:56
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    see what i mean guys!! this whole "bye" thing is a joke!!
    NO, I don't. YOu clearly have a very very bad TD there. In the rulebook, you are specifically instructed not to give our two 1 pt byes to the same person.
  9. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 12:58
    Sorry, you're quite right. W = win, not white.

The Tournament Director was a certain Chase Miles Watters. He played in the tournament himself and was one of two players on 4/4 after round 4 (the other being Paul Truong). However rather than playing each other in the last round, Watters had a down float to a player on 3/4 and Truong a down float to a play ...[text shortened]... n't allow this at all) and a whole point only if you receive a bye due to having no opponent.
    You are correct. Requested bye's are worth only half a point, and that pairing is also suspicious. There is no way the two leaders should not have faced off unless they had played each other before (they both had perfect scores, so clearly they had not). This is just a case of a corrupt/incompetent TD or this was not a Swiss tournament.
  10. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 12:58
    Originally posted by vipiu
    unbelievable...and he was paired with those low players, and byes as black...and he was much stronger than all the participants...and all these for 1 ELO rating point and to be thw winner of that tournament ?

how did you get to this report ? maybe this should be published in some news site 🙂) ...jokes in chess...
    Paul's pairings for the first two games don't look out of the ordinary. You'd expect those kind of pairings in the early rounds of a swiss. But Paul's pairing with the 12th place guy in the last round seems a little odd. However, to reach any conclusions about his last round pairing, I'd have to wade through the swiss pairing rules, which I have no desire to do.
  11. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 13:01
    Ok lets move on to the point of Mr Truong being so ugly and Susan being attractive.....he must have money....

(my reasoning for every nasty guy with a hot girl...and yes i think she is hot....her chess strength adds to it)
  12. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 13:041 edit
    Originally posted by zebano
    There is no way the two leaders should not have faced off unless they had played each other before (they both had perfect scores, so clearly they had not). This is just a case of a corrupt/incompetent TD or this was not a Swiss tournament.
    I think you're right about this. I think the number 1 and 2 should have faced off against each other. This tournament pairing seems very suspect to me. 😠

Edit - It was a swiss tournament. It says so in the header tournament info.
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 13:20
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    Ok lets move on to the point of Mr Truong being so ugly and Susan being attractive.....he must have money....

(my reasoning for every nasty guy with a hot girl...and yes i think she is hot....her chess strength adds to it)
    I met Susan Polgar and Paul Truong last year, before I knew they were a couple, and Paul didn't seem ugly to me. He came across as a nice guy, and clearly very clever. I've just Googled him and I must admit he does look a bit rough in some pictures, but he's ok in others, for example: http://tinyurl.com/2tocv9
  14. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 04:04
    In some USCF tournaments, players rated over 2200, or master strength (2200 is considered National Master by the USCF), can request a full point bye. I'm not sure about the other bye or why he got paired against someone with 2.5, but his opponent may not have showed in one of the games.
  15. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 04:11
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    In some USCF tournaments, players rated over 2200, or master strength (2200 is considered National Master by the USCF), can request a full point bye. I'm not sure about the other bye or why he got paired against someone with 2.5, but his opponent may not have showed in one of the games.
    IF someone doesn't show, it has a different code than a bye in the crosstables.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree