1. Canukistan
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 22:57
    On FICS, where I play most of my live games, my Standard ratings (I usually play 30 30 or longer), seems to vary wildly with the season. When the weather is cold it is really nice to settle into a long leisurely game, but when it starts to warm up I have more on my mind and my standart rating takes a nosedive. Last year my standard rating reached the mid 1800's, but over the summer dipped below 1500.
    At the same time my Blitz rating has been creeping up slowly but steadily. Over the past year I have gone from trying to keep it above 1200 to trying to keep it above 1300 without taking a major leap at any point. My rating here is also fairly consistant, though it can take a dive when I am really busy with things, as has been the case over the past few months.
    The point is that if there is this much variability between blitz, standard and correspondance ratings for a single individual, surely any attempt to define what this relationship should be in general will be meaningless.
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 23:092 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 00:10
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Was is probably more accurate - in any case he made the same claims as you diet coke, and we soon found out he was full of crap - just like you.

BTW guys, I rush my moves here too, I should really be about 2500.
  4. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 00:27
    Idiot.
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 01:20
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    Idiot.
    ok, 'powershaker'.
  6. Joined
    20 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 09:20
    Thanks for your comments guys. The subject has obviously touched a nerve with quite a few people. I think the big proble is as suggested here in that i'm just not used to OTB play and the time pressures etc. Prior to September i hadn'tactually played OTB for 20years or more.

I hope to get in to the groove and turn things around.
    Hopfully i'll be posting another thread in a few months telling you all how i kicked a few 150's in to touch.

Cheers
    PM
  7. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 09:30
    Originally posted by power mover
    Thanks for your comments guys. The subject has obviously touched a nerve with quite a few people. I think the big proble is as suggested here in that i'm just not used to OTB play and the time pressures etc. Prior to September i hadn'tactually played OTB for 20years or more.

I hope to get in to the groove and turn things around.
    Hopfully i'll be p ...[text shortened]... thread in a few months telling you all how i kicked a few 150's in to touch.

Cheers
    PM
    Assume you're always playing a strong player. You can be playing a 70 graded player, but they might have only played 5 games!
  8. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 09:431 edit
    Originally posted by power mover
    I've recently started playing OTB. I'm finding that my rating OTB is nowhere near as good as my RHP rating. I certainly expected a difference for obvious reasons but the gap seems to be vast. I'm really strugling against players of 60 and 70 BCF.
    Whats your feelings on how OTB and RHP ratings compare?
    Mine are pretty similar at the moment but until this year I have never played correspondance chess and I am pretty certain with a bit more application and comittment I can improve my RHP grade faster than my OTB grade.

The beauty with chess here is that I can play lots of games and hopefully improve fast. OTB I play say 20-30 "serious" games in a year. Here, for example, I've played 80 Kings Gambits in 4 months and I have learnt far more than I ever could OTB. I have also started practicing openings that I have never played OTB.
  9. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 10:18
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I suppose so. This 1500 player User 204609 is pretty good! He's going to really screw up the ratings as he works his way back up to 2100 again.
    Wow, how did he lose all those rating points in 30 days? Quite fantastic.
  10. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 10:43
    Originally posted by ckoh1965
    Wow, how did he lose all those rating points in 30 days? Quite fantastic.
    He simply stopped playing and lost all of his unfinished games on time.
  11. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 10:46

12. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 10:51
    So he did. My mistake.
  13. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 10:51
    Why?
  14. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 11:18

15. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 11:32
    If you need to take a break why not just wind down the games by not accepting new challanges. I am doing this at moment and will be back at end January 2007 but I won't time out or resign any.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree