1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Nov '05 18:10
    Originally posted by zebano
    Thanks for the bash =) but I am part of the USCF. I just wasn't aware that they offered free online blitz... I tried FICS but I had already played 3k games on yahoo and I wasn't impressed enough to change.
    Did you try FICS through an interface that you installed? There are several good ones. I played 20K games on ICC before I switched to FICS. I use BabasChess.
  2. Under Cover
    Moves
    20 Nov '05 14:44
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Did you try FICS through an interface that you installed? There are several good ones. I played 20K games on ICC before I switched to FICS. I use BabasChess.
    I recently tried FICS on your suggestion, and I also use BbasChess. It is great. Hard to believe that a server with that many options exists for free. Thanks for heading me that way.
  3. Planet 54
    Moves
    20 Nov '05 19:14
    here's a good one... http://www.chessanytime.com
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Nov '05 19:39
    Originally posted by deweydesigns
    here's a good one... http://www.chessanytime.com
    I tried that site. It didn't take long to get a game, but I find it a hassle issuing dozens of individual challenges. Why not let me send out a global challenge? As a guest, I did not find any way to save my game as a pgn file--a minimum requirement for chess playing sites (which is one reason most people will tell you that yahoo is garbage). On the other hand, my easy ten-move victory over a player rated 1558 hardly merits preservation. I'd say that most of my scholastic players over 650 could have beat this fellow.
  5. Standard memberSanta Drummer
    I AM INNOCENT
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '05 19:50
    any sites with forums? (prefer a good forum unlike the crappy one on this site, not that the posts/posters are bad, just the layout etc is garbage)
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Nov '05 22:03
    Originally posted by Santa Drummer
    any sites with forums? (prefer a good forum unlike the crappy one on this site, not that the posts/posters are bad, just the layout etc is garbage)
    Most correspondence sites have forums, but RHP's are the most active. I'm playing at sites where there are a couple forum posts per week, and others where there are several new posts per day. But, at RHP, there's a new post nearly every minute.
  7. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 12:18
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Yes but I am not sure what it was. I think I used WinBoard.
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 12:30
    Originally posted by zebano
    Yes but I am not sure what it was. I think I used WinBoard.
    Winboard is good enough to show the superiority of FICS (or any true chess site) to yahoo. But as an interface for FICS, Winboard is old technology. There are several others with more features.

However, if you programmed an engine that wants to play online, Winboard is the interface you'll need. I use Winboard and Thomas McBurney's Winboard Network Adaptor for matches between my P4 and my SO's AMD 64.
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 14:391 edit
    Playchess.com

The best site to play live chess !

A lot of well known grandmasters play there among whom Nigel Short and Yasser Seirawan. Loads of International and FIDE masters are also on the memberlist.
  10. Norway
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 15:35
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    A lot of well known grandmasters play there among whom Nigel Short and Yasser Seirawan. Loads of International and FIDE masters are also on the memberlist.
    How does this make it a better place to play for those of us well below 2K in rating?
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    21 Nov '05 15:48
    Originally posted by ViA
    How does this make it a better place to play for those of us well below 2K in rating?
    it dont

'sides, ICC has more IMs, GMs, and WIMs on at all hours of the day

Yasser's comments during the FIDE WC made playchess the best place to watch
  12. Joined
    15 Apr '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '05 17:21
    there are some dutch sites too, www.jijbent.nl (you can play more games than only chess, also play tournaments) and also www.spelpunt.nl or gamepoint.com where you can play blitz, one minutesgames and the fisher system, but the lay out of gamepoint sucks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree