Past games...worth keeping?

Past games...worth keeping?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
10 Apr 11

I have a past game collection numbering 150-200 from casual and tournament games of the past 10+ years. These games were played at the 1300-1700 level (USCF) depending on how strong I was at the time. They are written on several different size score sheets, as well as file box cards. Are these games worth keeping? If so, of what use would they be? I don't want to spend many hours copying, and organizing them, only to find they are useless. Any suggestions would be welcome.🙂

rc

Moves
10 Apr 11

Originally posted by bill718
I have a past game collection numbering 150-200 from casual and tournament games of the past 10+ years. These games were played at the 1300-1700 level (USCF) depending on how strong I was at the time. They are written on several different size score sheets, as well as file box cards. Are these games worth keeping? If so, of what use would they be? I don't w ...[text shortened]... opying, and organizing them, only to find they are useless. Any suggestions would be welcome.🙂
if you could put them into like a huge file and then turn them into like a repertoire it
might be helpful. I wish i could do that with all my RHP games but i dont know if its
possible or even how to do it. It would be great, you could see all the points where
you played an inferior move, so that if you ever came across the position again
you could find a better continuation.

MR

Moves
10 Apr 11

I have a past game collection numbering 150-200 from casual and tournament games of the past 10+ years. These games were played at the 1300-1700 level (USCF) depending on how strong I was at the time. They are written on several different size score sheets, as well as file box cards. Are these games worth keeping? If so, of what use would they be? I don't w ...[text shortened]... opying, and organizing them, only to find they are useless. Any suggestions would be welcome.🙂
You could give them to Greenpawn34. He'll make a database out of them, and you'll never hear the end of all your blunders. 🙂

Moves
10 Apr 11

I have all my OTB tournament games from my entire career (its not that many, maybe a few hundred) and most casual games that I bothered to record. I looked at the first the first time in along time to answer a private forum question about my OTB career. The nostalgia was nice. I was unhappy to discover that I didn't have the very first game I ever recorded (when I was about 8 years old) where I beat my baby-sitter in a complete fluke.

Why throw them out? They don't take up much space and you surely have a few favorites.

DTG

Moves
10 Apr 11

think a couple moves ahead. If you keep them, how likely will you say 'I wish I threw these away' If you toss them, how likely will you say 'I really wish I had kept those games'

If there's a compelling reason you have to toss them (say you have some sort of strange fetish and your wife is jealous) then by all means...

t

bedlam

Moves
10 Apr 11

Don't know how old you are but there may come a time you wish to take a trip down memory lane.

If you become a player of note you can use them for the early years chapter in the book about your chesscareer.

As the previous poster said,they don't take up much space so why throw them out?

rc

Moves
10 Apr 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Mad Rook
You could give them to Greenpawn34. He'll make a database out of them, and you'll never hear the end of all your blunders. 🙂
Lol, I am only too aware of my blunders, the problem is, they seems so obvious afterwards! Is there not a way in chessbase or arena to merge all your games into one giant pgn file?

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
10 Apr 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Lol, I am only too aware of my blunders, the problem is, they seems so obvious afterwards! Is there not a way in chessbase or arena to merge all your games into one giant pgn file?
Good ideas...Thank You everyone.😏

e4

Moves
10 Apr 11

Enter them into a DB what ever you do don't throw them away.

NMD

Moves
11 Apr 11

I think I sold mine for about 2 dollars.Maybe your opponents will buy em and you`ll get rich.

MR

Moves
11 Apr 11

Hi Robbie,

Since pgn files are just text files, I guess you could always do it manually with a text editor, but I wouldn't recommend that approach.

I don't use Chessbase, but I'm guessing you could do it with that software. I'd guess that Fritz could even do it.

I don't think Arena is capable of that. Database manipulation is not its strong point. About all it can do is open a database of multiple games and look at the games and sort them. But I don't think it can merge pgn files.

If you're a DOS command line freak, it looks like PGN Manager might do the trick:
http://www.enpassant.dk/chess/softeng.htm#PGNMAN

But I'm told it will refuse to merge files containing Colle games.
(OK, I'm kidding there.)

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
11 Apr 11

You can merge all your games into a .ctg "book" file in chessbase. Then in either fritz/chessbase you just make sure you have your book pane open and set to this new book and you can see what you played in previous games in a given position.

I highly reccomend this if you are going to be playing a lot of CC.

rc

Moves
11 Apr 11

Originally posted by Mad Rook
Hi Robbie,

Since pgn files are just text files, I guess you could always do it manually with a text editor, but I wouldn't recommend that approach.

I don't use Chessbase, but I'm guessing you could do it with that software. I'd guess that Fritz could even do it.

I don't think Arena is capable of that. Database manipulation is not its strong point. ...[text shortened]... t will refuse to merge files containing Colle games.
(OK, I'm kidding there.)
thanks rook, is there a way of getting all RHP games into one folder and copying the entire folder?

rc

Moves
11 Apr 11

Originally posted by nimzo5
You can merge all your games into a .ctg "book" file in chessbase. Then in either fritz/chessbase you just make sure you have your book pane open and set to this new book and you can see what you played in previous games in a given position.

I highly reccomend this if you are going to be playing a lot of CC.
yes there is a merge function in chessbase, its really good. Finally trying to get an opening rep together, until this point i have tried most things with the exception of 1.g4 and 1...g5.

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
11 Apr 11

Don't rush the proces, consider;

1) Is this an OTB repertoire? If so, find places where you can get playable positions and learn theory over time. Too ambitious a repertoire in opening play often means get caught out on a theoretical line that you can't recall= the "why did I sac this pawn?" will come up.

2) If it is a CC repertoire, than you really must strive for accuracy. I can't tell you how many supposedly ok variations will get you kicked in the face under the CC microscope. So make sure you know where you are going to end up in your openings when you work on CC.

I keep several books, one of everything I have ever played, one that is devoted theoretical "best" variations, etc.