Pawns

Standard memberslappy115
Only Chess 31 Jan '07 17:28
  1. Standard memberslappy115
    Slappy slap slap
    Under your bed...
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 17:28
    Lately, I have been trying to improve my pawn game because I have a tendency to focus on the king during the middle game which later results in a lack of pawns in the end game.

Are there any decent books that describe pawn structure and theory that anyone would like to recommend? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
  2. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 17:35
    Originally posted by slappy115
    Lately, I have been trying to improve my pawn game because I have a tendency to focus on the king during the middle game which later results in a lack of pawns in the end game.

Are there any decent books that describe pawn structure and theory that anyone would like to recommend? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Pawn structure is vital throughout the game.

Which is why all pawn moves are vital, pawns cannot move backwards.

If you want to look at your pawn structure, take all the pieces off the board and see who the endgame favours.
  3. Big D
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 17:39
    There's a great book by American GM Andy Soltis called: "Pawn Structure Chess." In it, he analyzes the resultant pawn structures from many popular openings and describes the method of analyzing such positions in your own games and how to determine a plan based on the pawn "skeleton." I can highly recommend this book.
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 18:01
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    There's a great book by American GM Andy Soltis called: "Pawn Structure Chess." In it, he analyzes the resultant pawn structures from many popular openings and describes the method of analyzing such positions in your own games and how to determine a plan based on the pawn "skeleton." I can highly recommend this book.
    The black knight is right.
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 18:10
    baburin's "winning pawn structures" helped me a lot. it also hooked me to 1.d4 🙂

but you probably drop your pawns for lack of tactical skill, not strategy...
  6. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 18:203 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 19:00
    That sounds really promising. I really like Soltis' writing style, ie: more words and explanations than hordes of notation. The reviews of this book on amazon.com are pretty good as well. I'm currently working my way through one of his other books, I'll make this one my next addition. Thanks for the recommendation.
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 19:06
    Originally posted by tmetzler
    That sounds really promising. I really like Soltis' writing style, ie: more words and explanations than hordes of notation. The reviews of this book on amazon.com are pretty good as well. I'm currently working my way through one of his other books, I'll make this one my next addition. Thanks for the recommendation.
    Hm, I think I may pick this up.
  9. Joined
    25 Sep '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 19:20
    I think Seirawan's book on strategy might be a good place to start. If anything, he'll cover a lot of basic positional strategies that might help your game if you're not yet familiar, and he does cover pawn structure.
  10. Standard memberslappy115
    Slappy slap slap
    Under your bed...
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 19:48
    Thanks. I'll definately check that out.
  11. Kalamazoo, MI
    Moves
    01 Feb '07 00:29
    'Understanding Pawn Play in Chess' and 'Dynamic Pawn Play in Chess' by Marovic are quite good.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree