Moves
    12 May '08 23:00
    Thinking they have won.
    πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 May '08 04:571 edit
    I hate it when people say it before the game is actually over. It's like asking your opponent to resign. It's just bad sportsmanship.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 May '08 09:10
    Once I said in an in-game message "Thank you for the game. Can we have another?"
    ...only that it was not a mating move, as I thought...
  4. Hull, UK
    Moves
    13 May '08 10:00
    I just finished a game where I said good game a bit too early. Luckily it was mate the next move, so I think I got away with it haha
  5. Joined
    27 Apr '08
    Moves
    13 May '08 16:32
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    I hate it when people say it before the game is actually over. It's like asking your opponent to resign. It's just bad sportsmanship.
    I always try to say that because it is similar to an online shake of the hand. If you think it's bad sportsmanship to congratulate someone on their play then good luck to you.
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 May '08 16:49
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    If it's not a fast blitz or bullet game, you could reply to his "good game" comment with something like, "Yes, it is a good game. I was thinking of resigning, but because you stated that it was a good game, I took another look at the position. And the position is indeed so interesting that I've decided to play out the game as long as possible to prolong the joy of this very special game. Thank you for pointing this out to me - I almost overlooked it."
  7. Joined
    18 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 May '08 17:50
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    If it's not a fast blitz or bullet game, you could reply to his "good game" comment with something like, "Yes, it is a good game. I was thinking of resigning, but because you stated that it was a good game, I took another look at the position. And the position is indeed so interesting that I've decided to play out the game as long as possible to prolong the ...[text shortened]... f this very special game. Thank you for pointing this out to me - I almost overlooked it."
    Lol, i've copied that paragraph into a little text file on my desktop ready for use.
  8. Joined
    27 Apr '08
    Moves
    13 May '08 18:16
    If it's not a fast blitz or bullet game, you could reply to his "good game" comment with something like, "Yes, it is a good game. I was thinking of resigning, but because you stated that it was a good game, I took another look at the position. And the position is indeed so interesting that I've decided to play out the game as long as possible to prolong the ...[text shortened]... f this very special game. Thank you for pointing this out to me - I almost overlooked it."
    How can one resign at the end of the game??
  9. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 May '08 18:32
    Originally posted by curseknight
    One can't.
  10. Joined
    27 Apr '08
    Moves
    13 May '08 18:35
    One can't.
    I think if one says good game with a forced win and a smile, it is like congratulating someone. Besides, the position cannot be made to last longer, can it, with a forced win? I have said good game on the end moves of my games so far, and no-one has held a grudge that I was polite. Some people act like sore losers, I think (not accusing you!).
  11. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 May '08 18:40
    I was responding to exigentsky's comment that he hates it when people say "good game" before the game is actually over.
  12. Joined
    27 Apr '08
    Moves
    13 May '08 18:421 edit
    I was responding to exigentsky's comment that he hates it when people say "good game" before the game is actually over.
    But with, for example, Ra8# next turn, I would say good game here. Would you?
  13. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 May '08 18:43
    I think if one says good game with a forced win and a smile, it is like congratulating someone. Besides, the position cannot be made to last longer, can it, with a forced win? I have said good game on the end moves of my games so far, and no-one has held a grudge that I was polite. Some people act like sore losers, I think (not accusing you!).
    I think exigentsky was saying that he hates it when he's in a losing position and his opponent says "good game" to him before the game is over. Now do you understand?
  14. Joined
    27 Apr '08
    Moves
    13 May '08 18:44
    I think exigentsky was saying that he hates it when he's in a losing position and his opponent says "good game" to him before the game is over. Now do you understand?
    You think that was what he meant. I think he meant when mate is imminent (but seeing as I vociferously disagree with him, he probably wouldn't admit it in a million years if so).
    Different interpretations.
  15. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 May '08 20:164 edits
    You think that was what he meant. I think he meant when mate is imminent (but seeing as I vociferously disagree with him, he probably wouldn't admit it in a million years if so).
    Different interpretations.
    As you mentioned, saying "gg" is like shaking hands OTB. Of course, it is good sportsmanship to shake hands (or/and say "gg" ) when the game has been decided. However, I'd consider it rude if someone OTB were to extend a hand when in a winning position. MY resignation is not his choice. If he respects me, he will patiently allow me to come to my own conclusions and decisions. Similarly, if a runner is far ahead of his competition, he shouldn't pull out a megaphone and tell everyone that they did well but it's time to go home since he's clearly the best. He should prove it by actually winning. If one has a winning position, it will usually resolve itself soon enough in the hands of a skilled player. Most people that have said "gg" to me before it was officially over did so because they didn't know how to actually win the "won position." When I drew or won, they whined about how I didn't deserve it and should have resigned.

BTW: Why this hostility towards me here and in other threads? I don't recall ever talking to you and I'm not sure what I could have done to antagonize you. Since joining in 2005, I've only had one argument. That was with SwissGambit when I felt my position was not being handled fairly. Even so, I respect SwissGambit and have not hesitated to agree with him when I supported his position. I've learned a great deal from this forum and I try to contribute back whatever little knowledge I can through (hopefully) well-thought out posts. I don't want to have bad blood with anyone.

EDIT: I think " ) comes out as a smilie without spaces. TestπŸ™" gg"πŸ˜‰ Ha ha, it comes out as a sad face if ( " is without spaces. This is more annoying than helpful since it gets in the way of writing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree