1. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    13 May '08 21:25
    I like to say Good Game when I lose because it shows I'm not a sore loser... and likewise, when I win because I' have respect for my opponent.
  2. Behind the computer.
    Moves
    13 May '08 22:24
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    [b]As you mentioned, saying "gg" is like shaking hands OTB. Of course, it is good sportsmanship to shake hands (or/and say "gg" ) when the game has been decided. However, I'd consider it rude if someone OTB were to extend a hand when in a winning position. MY resignation is not his choice. If he respects me, he will patiently allow me to come to my own conclusions and decisions.
    If someone tries to shake your hand, then go right on ahead! Say thanks for the draw! 😉
  3. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    13 May '08 22:49
    Originally posted by curseknight
    But with, for example, Ra8# next turn, I would say good game here. Would you? [fen]4k3/R7/4K3/8/8/8/8/8 [/fen]
    If I was about to make the rook move, then "good game" and some apt comment would be fine to go along with the move. When you click submit, the game is over, but black can still read your last polite comment. As black I would pm back "gg congratulations".
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 May '08 22:51
    Originally posted by range blasts
    If someone tries to shake your hand, then go right on ahead! Say thanks for the draw! 😉
    Ha ha, I was thinking the same thing when writing the post. Although, since I often resign by just shaking hands, I figure the context is what matters most. Maybe I should try that and pretend it's a draw. My opponent's reaction would be pretty funny. 🙂
  5. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 May '08 23:18
    Ha ha, I was thinking the same thing when writing the post. Although, since I often resign by just shaking hands, I figure the context is what matters most. Maybe I should try that and pretend it's a draw. My opponent's reaction would be pretty funny. 🙂
    If a handshake is made at the end of a game without a verbal resignation, verbal draw offer, or tipping over of the king, you're potentially helping to create a dispute that would have to be decided by a TD or arbiter.
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 May '08 00:16
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    If a handshake is made at the end of a game without a verbal resignation, verbal draw offer, or tipping over of the king, you're potentially helping to create a dispute that would have to be decided by a TD or arbiter.
    Well, maybe but if you watch videos of GMs play (http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=4624), they usually shake hands to resign and do not say anything or tip the king over. Given the context and the presence of a scoresheet (which usually has to be signed), I don't think it's a problem. Anyway, this isn't what that post was about and I don't want to derail the thread.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 May '08 00:23
    I hate it when people say it before the game is actually over. It's like asking your opponent to resign. It's just bad sportsmanship.
    No response necessary. Play it out and let him prove his arrogance.
  8. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 May '08 00:27
    well, good thread

😉
  9. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    14 May '08 12:38
    Originally posted by irontigran
    well, good thread

😉
    The thread isn't over yet. 😉
  10. ALG
    Moves
    14 May '08 13:47
    Originally posted by curseknight
    But with, for example, Ra8# next turn, I would say good game here. Would you? [fen]4k3/R7/4K3/8/8/8/8/8 [/fen]

And here?
  11. Joined
    08 Dec '07
    Moves
    14 May '08 16:09
    Originally posted by Thomaster
    [fen]8/8/8/8/8/4k3/7R/3K4 w - - 0 1[/fen]

And here?
    I believe that is still a textbook win for White starting with 1. Rh4 or even just 1. Ra2. Missing the point of your post, perhaps the intended answerer will get it instead.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    14 May '08 20:011 edit
    Originally posted by king creole
    Thinking they have won.
    😀😀😀
    I always say Good Game, and never good luck, at the start of a game. Why? Because I don't sincerely wish my opponent good luck. I would like to have a good game however.

What chess rules say you have to wish your opponent good luck? When I use to play in OTB tournaments I always said good game!
  13. Joined
    06 Apr '08
    Moves
    15 May '08 01:02
    Speaking of sincerity I find the good game comment at the end of games sometimes quite unsincere. What about games you win but really are not that particurarly good or that you lost because of some stupid mistake. Say you checkmate you opponent or get checkmated in 12 moves. No way was that game good and no way would I say good game at the end of it. I sure would not utter such words person to person after that someone just realized he made a really stupid mistake. It was not a good game. Yet many people say good game after particulary lousy games. Just thanks for the game works for me. Not every game is good and not everyone game deserves gg at the end. I find most people just say it when they win as if that is what made a good game!
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    15 May '08 01:32
    Originally posted by onehandgann
    Speaking of sincerity I find the good game comment at the end of games sometimes quite unsincere. What about games you win but really are not that particurarly good or that you lost because of some stupid mistake. Say you checkmate you opponent or get checkmated in 12 moves. No way was that game good and no way would I say good game at the end of it. I s ...[text shortened]... gg at the end. I find most people just say it when they win as if that is what made a good game!
    I agree with you on that !
  15. Joined
    01 Dec '07
    Moves
    15 May '08 17:271 edit
    Someone had said GG to me, before the game was over because he had got my Queen. I ended up mating him 20 moves later, because my Protected Passed Pawns were too much for him. I only say gg after the game is over for that reason

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree