1. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 May '08 17:532 edits
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    I hate it when people say it before the game is actually over. It's like asking your opponent to resign. It's just bad sportsmanship.
    I do that. I admit, I don't feel very comfortable doing it, but I think not resigning in completely lost positions is bad sportmanship. I don't see any point in wasting anyone's time, including oneself.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    15 May '08 18:10
    Originally posted by onehandgann
    Speaking of sincerity I find the good game comment at the end of games sometimes quite unsincere. What about games you win but really are not that particurarly good or that you lost because of some stupid mistake. Say you checkmate you opponent or get checkmated in 12 moves. No way was that game good and no way would I say good game at the end of it. I s ...[text shortened]... gg at the end. I find most people just say it when they win as if that is what made a good game!
    Comments like "good game" are just formalities that should not be taken too literally.

Even "thanks for the game" could be taken the wrong way after say, someone blunders a Queen.
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    15 May '08 18:12
    Originally posted by Best101
    Someone had said GG to me, before the game was over because he had got my Queen. I ended up mating him 20 moves later, because my Protected Passed Pawns were too much for him. I only say gg after the game is over for that reason
    Did you rub it in with a smart-arse comment after you won? I know I would have. 😀 Something like, "you know, you were right 20 moves ago...it turned out to be a very good game!"
  4. Joined
    24 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 May '08 17:17
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    I hate it when people say it before the game is actually over. It's like asking your opponent to resign. It's just bad sportsmanship.
    I sometimes do that (or some similar comment e.g. "thanks for the game"😉 when I have a guaranteed mate next move. I do it because most people resign at that point and then it's too late to send an in game message. I know you can always send a PM afterwards (and I often do) but it's just a quick way of doing it and it really hadn't occurred to me that anyone would mind. Sorry if I have offended anyone.
  5. washington
    Moves
    18 May '08 20:08
    when a player is in an obviously lost position i say it signaling they have no chance of winning so they should resign respectfully. Don't try to say that that is wrong, with a rook and king vs rook and certain positions such as these people should know better.
  6. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    18 May '08 22:421 edit
    I have discussed games with my opponents and convinced several of them that the game was drawn when my position was lost. That's not bad; the power of compromise is part of the game. Just recently, I had a very strong player suggest our game was drawn because he had established a fortress that could not be broken. It was necessary for my king to get behind his pawn to win and his rook had my king cut off. Everything he said was true -- except we had rook pawns that changed the whole goal of the ending. He didn't do this out of ignorance. Even if I didn't already know how to play the fortress he knew I would reserch it. It was a good bluff. Without knowledge of the ending anyone could easily fall for the trick. Now that how a player can talk a good game!!

Fischer commonly snickered when his opponent made a mistake. He always moved his piece before writing the move on the score sheet -- except in a game with Tal. He wrote the move first, started to move, then noticed Tal with a smile on his face. Fischer quickly scratched out the move and made a different move. After the game Tal asked the young Fischer why he changed his mind on that particular move. He said it was the winning move. Fischer snapped, "Because you smiled." On the lighter side, Fischer was one of very few grandmasters who visited Tal when he was in the hospital.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree