Perpetual check

Perpetual check

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SF

Moves
08 Sep 11

Does red hot pawn follow any perpetual check rules? If so, does anyone know them. Just finished a game where I was put into check consecutively 4X, requested a draw, was not granted one??

Senecio Jacobaea

Yorkshire

Moves
08 Sep 11
3 edits

Originally posted by Semper Fi
Does red hot pawn follow any perpetual check rules? If so, does anyone know them. Just finished a game where I was put into check consecutively 4X, requested a draw, was not granted one??
RHP recognizes the following draws:

FAQ

Perpetual check only works as a draw if the same position with the same person to move occurs three times. Perpetual check is thus a defensive tactic where the player in a disadvantageous position will repeatedly place his opponents king in check, hoping to repeat the position three times and claim a draw.

In your game the fact that the opponent placed you in check four times on his way to mate looks to me as if you have not quite understood the rule.

SF

Moves
08 Sep 11

Ahhh----thank you for clearing that up for me. 😳

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
10 Sep 11

A threefold repetition of position can be claimed as a draw. A perpetual check is an annuity. 😉

k

Pities the fool

Moves
10 Sep 11

There is no such thing as a "perpetual check rule" in chess.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
11 Sep 11

Originally posted by kopatov
... and yet we all know what Semper Fi is talking about ...

k

Pities the fool

Moves
11 Sep 11

Originally posted by wolfgang59
If he is talking about a non-existent rule, then how can you assume that we all know what he is talking about? Look at the FIDE rules of chess if in doubt.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
11 Sep 11

All but one.

k

Pities the fool

Moves
11 Sep 11

Originally posted by Paul Leggett
All but one.
Do you mind showing me this non-existent rule on the FIDE website or the USCF's?

e4

Moves
11 Sep 11

Kopatov is correct!

(never thought I'd be typing that in this forum) 🙂 (a joke.)

It used to be, but it was taken out because that type of draw is covered
under the three fold rep law (or indeed the 50 move rule.)

Most (all) players OTB just agree a draw but in theory one player should
claim it is a draw by calling over the TC and showing him the position.
I've never done that and I've never seen it happen.

You won't find the term 'discovered check' in the rules either.
So as of today that move is now illegal.

This is checkmate.

Black cannot play BxR because that would be a 'Discovered Check' and that
type of check is not mention in the FIDE rules.

i

Moves
11 Sep 11
1 edit

You are right that there is no such rule. But "perpetual check" does exist in chess and I agree with wolfgang59 - we all know what Semper Fi is talking about. It is just a scenario when repeated checks can't be avoid and a draw will be claimed under 3-fold repetition or 50-move rule.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
11 Sep 11

Do you mind showing me this non-existent rule on the FIDE website or the USCF's?
Article 7 - IRREGULARITIES
All non-existing rules shall be excluded from the recorded E.I.01A. Laws of Chess but nevertheless remain in force.

Article 9 - THE DRAWN GAME
The game is drawn after perpetual check providing that
a. "check" is announced clearly each time and in both the language of the checkee and of the hosting nation.
b. the checker claims the draw after 3 checks (or any multiple therof)

Article 12 - THE CONDUCT OF THE PLAYERS
Players must at all times display a sense of humour proportional to their playing ability.

Article 14: FIDE
14.2 FIDE accept no responsibility for pretentious idiots making condescending replies to lower ranked players with genuine questions.

k

Pities the fool

Moves
11 Sep 11
1 edit

Certificate of trolling awarded to wolfang59. 😀 He states he is "not a genius" but that should obviously read something closer to home.

k

Pities the fool

Moves
11 Sep 11
1 edit

Do you have the link to the game? You can use the "claim draw" button but it sounds as if you just offered a draw to your opponent.

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
11 Sep 11

Article 14: FIDE
14.2 FIDE accept no responsibility for pretentious idiots making condescending replies to lower ranked players with genuine questions.[/b]
The reward for reading the fide rulebook!