PGN

Standard memberbasso
Only Chess 07 Dec '05 01:56
  1. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 01:56
    If someone posts a game like this: . . .

[Event "ICC 2 12 u"]
    [Site "Internet Chess Club"]
    [Date "2005.12.05"]
    [White "Exigentsky"]
    [Black "guest2293"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ECO "B07"]

1. e4 d6 2. Nf3 Bg4 3. d4 Nf6 4. h3 Bh5 5. Nc3 e6 6. Be2 Nc6 7. Bg5 Be7 8. O-O
    O-O 9. e5 dxe5 10. dxe5 Bxf3 11. exf6 Qxd1 12. Bxd1 Bxd1 13. fxe7 Rfe8 14.
    Raxd1 Nxe7 15. Bxe7 Rxe7 16. Rd3 {Black resigns} 1-0

. . . is there a way to play it out online, or does one need to play it out on a board? Thanks.
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 02:24
    Copy it and paste into your favorite chess software--Arena, ChessBase, Chess Captor, SCID, Chess Assistant, even Chessmaster. They all can read PGN.
  3. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 04:21
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Copy it and paste into your favorite chess software--Arena, ChessBase, Chess Captor, SCID, Chess Assistant, even Chessmaster. They all can read PGN.
    I don't have any chess software. That's why I was asking for an online source.
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 04:23
    Originally posted by basso
    A good half of the ones Wulebgr listed are available free or in trial versions online.
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 04:41
    http://www.tim-mann.org/xboard.html

This is Winboard or Xboard or whatever you need. I hear some users use 'Chesspad'. I don't, but perhaps someone will talk you into it.

Alt+V to paste a game
    Alt+C to copy back out if you like.
    F2 flips the board.
    Use your arrows left and right to move forward, and you can even type moves like Nxf4
    etc... Cool tool.

P-
  6. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 06:11
    Hey, I downloaded Chessbaselight, pasted in the game, and played it out! This is probably old hat to you veterans of computer chess land, but it's a first for me. Thanks for all your help.
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 15:49
    Hey, I downloaded Chessbaselight, pasted in the game, and played it out! This is probably old hat to you veterans of computer chess land, but it's a first for me. Thanks for all your help.
    Now create a database of all your games that you store in CB Light. You can also gather the games of your opponents (this process is quite laborious at RHP--one of a few things that other correspondence sites do much better), and you can create databases of master players and selected openings.

The 8000 game limit per database in CB Light will limit its utility when you get into serious research, but as you learn to use it, you'll begin to understand why folks happily shell out $150 USD for ChessBase 9.
  8. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 23:52
    You agree belgianfreak seriously needs to get a life, maybe a woman or something to keep him occupied. I think we should start a collection to help buy him one :-)To continue of elephant's thread, there does need to be a section to tell people exactly where to send different types of complaints. I think it stinks that the guy is being yelled at and having his ...[text shortened]... oved by tards simply because he doesnt know where to say what he has to say or who to say it to.
    You can get a bunch of crappy engines for free download online and even some decent ones, so get one thats the easiest way to play it out.
  9. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    08 Dec '05 00:36
    Originally posted by TRACKHEAD21
    You can get a bunch of crappy engines for free download online and even some decent ones, so get one thats the easiest way to play it out.
    Well, what are some "decent ones," and which one is "the easiest way to play it out"?
  10. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    08 Dec '05 00:39
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Now create a database of all your games that you store in CB Light. You can also gather the games of your opponents (this process is quite laborious at RHP--one of a few things that other correspondence sites do much better), and you can create databases of master players and selected openings.

The 8000 game limit per database in CB Light will limit its u ...[text shortened]... arn to use it, you'll begin to understand why folks happily shell out $150 USD for ChessBase 9.
    OK, I've got Chessbaselight, but it's way over my head. Their are a gazillion buttons and what not. It seems to have all sorts of capabilities -- how do I learn how to use this thing? Thanks.
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    08 Dec '05 00:43
    OK, I've got Chessbaselight, but it's way over my head. Their are a gazillion buttons and what not. It seems to have all sorts of capabilities -- how do I learn how to use this thing? Thanks.
    Chesspad is much more straightforward.

D
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Dec '05 08:01
    Crafty is an excellent free Winboard engine, get it here: http://cito.atspace.com/crafty.html You can use Arena or Winboard as your interface, they are both good.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree