1. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '09 19:461 edit

White to move.. is Qxb7 mate by your reasoning?
  2. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    05 Jan '09 19:58
    Following the reasoning along it must be! The queen cannot be captured on b7 because it is protected by the rook. One might say the rook cannot protect the queen because it is pinned by the bishop. However, the bishop is pinned by another rook and therefore cannot pin the rook and thus the queen will be protected when it arrives on b7.

My head hurts. I can see why this variant of the rules was not the one chosen, too complicated to be practical.
  3. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '09 20:14
    Originally posted by Kepler
    Following the reasoning along it must be! The queen cannot be captured on b7 because it is protected by the rook. One might say the rook cannot protect the queen because it is pinned by the bishop. However, the bishop is pinned by another rook and therefore cannot pin the rook and thus the queen will be protected when it arrives on b7.

My head hurts. I can see why this variant of the rules was not the one chosen, too complicated to be practical.
    but following Qxb7 Kxb7 the bishop is no longer pinned.
  4. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    05 Jan '09 20:241 edit
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    Even more complicated. It's enough to make one take up something simpler as a pastime. Proving the Riemann Hypothesis suddenly looks like an attractive proposition compared to this version of chess.
  5. Joined
    29 Nov '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '09 21:58
    By your reasoning one way to get out of check would be to pin the piece giving check. That would presumably also apply to checkmate. If you pin the piece giving the check then checkmate has not happened.

That would be an interesting variant of the rules by which chess has been played for a few hundred years. Unfortunately those are not the rules by which c ...[text shortened]... not just a matter of "clarifying" FIDE's rules, the rules were in existence before FIDE was.
    E
    Kepler,

If you would have kept to just your points in this instance, it would have been just pretty insightful and imaginative as far as I am concerned. I once found a friend in a traffic cop who I thought was going to put me in Jail,, but I wouldn't recommend going about it in that way.

Other than all that, I think this is just great.

Elnore
  6. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    05 Jan '09 22:07
    Originally posted by Elnore
    Kepler,

If you would have kept to just your points in this instance, it would have been just pretty insightful and imaginative as far as I am concerned. I once found a friend in a traffic cop who I thought was going to put me in Jail,, but I wouldn't recommend going about it in that way.

Other than all that, I think this is just great.

Elnore
    Which bits didn't you want?
  7. Joined
    29 Nov '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 03:36
    Kepler,

I thought you were calling me an Ignoramus, Other than that assumption, nothing was objectionable.

Elnore
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 05:161 edit
    It doesn't matter about the pin. The idea of immediate take comes into play. The king can not move into check, even if the piece is that woiuld be attacking the king is pinned. If he did, then the piece supporting the piece taken could take the king outright.

I've started a thread on this matter earlier and that's the rule that was stated. I've tried doing it (moving the king into a square attacked by a pinned piece) at FICS and the move was illegal.
  9. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 09:09
    Originally posted by Elnore
    Kepler,

I thought you were calling me an Ignoramus, Other than that assumption, nothing was objectionable.

Elnore
    No, Ignoramous is the title I choose to use for myself!
  10. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 09:56
    I think we should all go and have a nice cup of tea over this.

It makes for better chess.
  11. Standard memberchessiswar
    Grandpatzer
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 10:23
    I farted.
  12. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 11:08
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    I think we should all go and have a nice cup of tea over this.

It makes for better chess.
    One cup of Lapsang Souchong plus one hot crossed bun. Very nice.
  13. Joined
    29 Nov '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 16:00
    No, Ignoramous is the title I choose to use for myself!
    Sorry
  14. Joined
    29 Nov '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 16:19
    [fen]k5bR/1p6/8/8/8/1R3Q2/K7/8[/fen]

White to move.. is Qxb7 mate by your reasoning?
    Hello schakuhr,

Do you agree with:

Rh8xBg8+ Ka8, a7
    Qf3xb7 mate

Elnore
  15. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 16:37
    Originally posted by Eladar
    It doesn't matter about the pin. The idea of immediate take comes into play. The king can not move into check, even if the piece is that woiuld be attacking the king is pinned. If he did, then the piece supporting the piece taken could take the king outright.

I've started a thread on this matter earlier and that's the rule that was stated. I've tried ...[text shortened]... (moving the king into a square attacked by a pinned piece) at FICS and the move was illegal.
    Precisely. I can't see why it's hard to understand. Under chess rules, the game ends the move before the king is taken. If a half move later, you capture your opponent's king leaving your own king in check, your opponent's king is gone. The game is over. This is not a video game and you don't keep shooting bullets after you're dead.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree