1. Joined
    28 Aug '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 19:071 edit
    Does anyone know what the best plastic chess set is available in the U.K? I bought the Paladin set from the London Chess Centre & have recently bought the Executive Gambit set also from the London Chess Centre.

The reason I ask for plastic sets is because I would like to purchase a few for my club at some point but am still not sure which one is best in terms of quality and looks. So far, the Executive Gambit set is my favourite.

Links to sites and sets are welcome!
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 19:211 edit
    I have links to several suppliers on my website http://discountchess.110mb.com/

House of Staunton is the gold standard, but the chess store also has really nice sets.

There is a UK company, http://www.regencychess.co.uk/. I have looked at the site, but I have not seen any products firsthand, which is the only reason I haven't put a link on my site yet.

I recently also received an email that wholesale chess (site has link) has a scratch and dent sale going on, but I haven't checked it for details.

chesscafe.com also has wholesale options, so it may be worthwhile to check them out.

Just depends on what you like!

Paul
  3. Joined
    23 Jan '09
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 19:55
    We have several of the gambit sets (from BCM) at our club, but in my experience clubs sets get mixed up fairly quickly with differences in hue and size within the same box. Last week I noticed that one of the youngsters at the club had a huge knight on e5!
  4. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 19:58
    Originally posted by Quiet Interlude
    We have several of the gambit sets (from BCM) at our club, but in my experience clubs sets get mixed up fairly quickly with differences in hue and size within the same box. Last week I noticed that one of the youngsters at the club had a huge knight on e5!
    Or was it a rubber duck?
  5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 20:37
    Originally posted by Quiet Interlude
    This might be a good reason to go back to get more of what you already have, so set mixups won't be a big deal.
  6. Joined
    28 Aug '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 20:59
    EXACTLY!
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 09:40
    I bought one of the £70 for six sets, boxes and folding boards options a few years ago:
    http://www.ukgamesshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=cheqcom102&Category_Code=cheqcom

They are perfectly adequate for tournament and match play, I don't think you need weighted pieces. The service was very good, Malcolm Pein is a friendly and approachable guy.

Far more important that the sets, at least to me, was to get the folding boards. These are fantastic and much more usable than the roll-up or stiff plastic alternatives. If you've ever spent the twenty minutes before a league match trying to flatten half a dozen badly folded roll-up boards you'll know where I'm coming from. They're easier to store as well.

I don't like the plastic boxes used for chess sets much, and about a year ago I bought some a large number of drawstring bags on eBay. They were a little pricey, about 80p each, but they've proved to be worth it. They are easier to pack and unpack and also take up less storage space.
  8. e4
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 12:281 edit
    Agreed them roll up mats are a nightmare. We ditched our lot
    and bought these semi-stiff board - ideal.

But I do have a thicker roll up 'mouse mat' type thing and it's
    a sheer joy to use with 'double wighted pieces'.

It makes study and playing over games a pleasure, an absolute
    pleasure.

The tupperware 'picnic boxes' are just the right size for most sets.
    you can buy these 50p each from £stretchers.

You can even get them in different colours so why not...

Red: Board 1
    Blue :Board 2
    Yellow: Board 3
    Green: Board 4
    Purple: Board 5
    White; Board 6

(Greenpawn what about the leagues that have more than 6 boards.....Fat Lady)

Orange: Board 7
    Black: Board 8

(County matches have 10 a side....Fat Lady).

Magenta: Board 9
    Pink: Board 10

(we will stick Fat Lady on the pink board).
  9. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 13:00
    Greenpawn telling his players the board order at next week's county match.
    YouTube
  10. e4
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 13:06
    A classic moment - great film,

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree