1. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Nov '08 17:49
    Originally posted by CamelClutch
    I'm starting to get the itch (despite my novice status) to play in a real life tournament.

This thread is for people who have played in real life tournaments.
    Fill in the blank: "The first time that I played in a tournament, the thing that surprised me the most was............."
    How easily my opponents managed to slaughter me! yes in every game
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    16 Nov '08 20:49
    It's not quite finishing out the phrase from the original post, but my advice is to develop the following two routines:

After you move:
    Step 1 - Hit the clock.
    Step 2 - Write down your move on your scoresheet.

After your opponent moves:
    Step 1 - Write down his move on your scoresheet.
    Step 2 - Consider the implications of his move.

It would help to practice these routines in a few casual games prior to entering the tournament. Note that if you get into time trouble in a game, then writing down the moves is no longer a priority.
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    16 Nov '08 21:371 edit
    Originally posted by CamelClutch
    I'm starting to get the itch (despite my novice status) to play in a real life tournament.

This thread is for people who have played in real life tournaments.
    Fill in the blank: "The first time that I played in a tournament, the thing that surprised me the most was............."
    Real life tournaments? Well... they are no doubt more interesting than real Death tournaments he he he.
    🙄
  4. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    16 Nov '08 22:45
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    .....how nervous I suddenly was.
    Remeber how you felt before an exam, well multiply that by 10.

I later learned it was the adrenaline.

When I ever played OTB and never got a an adrenaline hit,
    I knew I was going to play a bad game.
    spot on!

No adrenaline = bad game (I've still managed swindle a few wins, but I hate looking back at those games).

Back in high school the adrenaline was soo huge I couldn't even sit still, my knee bounced at 200mph the entire game.
  5. Atlanta, GA, USA
    Moves
    16 Nov '08 22:56
    The thing about OTB tournaments that really struck me and I played a ton of them years ago - OTB tournaments are mentally and physically exhausting, more so than you could imagine.

I played in a World Open in Philly years ago and made a nice run in the under 2000 section only to blow it the last day. I have never been so tired in my life as I was at the end of that tourney, and that includes two a days in the hot Georgia sun back when I was playing football.

BV
  6. Georgia, USA
    Moves
    20 Nov '08 01:49
    Was that supposed to be amusing?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree