Playing on in a hopeless situation.

Playing on in a hopeless situation.

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NS
blunderer of pawns

Rhode (not an)Island

Moves
18 Mar 06

Originally posted by KingDavid403
Game 1248478 Game 1250358 Game 1276895 Game 1589538 Heres some game examples why i play on. I'm not that great of a player and I never thought i was insulting anyone by playing on in a hopeless game. As long as i keep moving and im not stalling it should not be considered rude to play on . Also some games I got the 3 move ...[text shortened]... pitition when looking very hopless, ~ Game 1578344 Game 1458954 Good Day, David
Wow, before seeing that 4th game, I might've just assumed that a 1600 player would know how to win a basic king and pawn endgame. That's good to know.

m

Moves
18 Mar 06
2 edits

Originally posted by Natural Science
Wow, before seeing that 4th game, I might've just assumed that a 1600 player would know how to win a basic king and pawn endgame. That's good to know.

This ending is not a "simple" endgame. The win is harder than it looks.
58.... Nb5
59.Nd5+ Kc5
60.Ne3
All correct so far.
60...c3
This is the correct push.
61.Kb1 Nd4
62.Ka2 c2
63.Nxc2 Nxc2
This is where it gets a little tricky
64.Kb2 Nd4
65.Ka3 Kb5
66.Ka2 Kb4
67.Kb2 a3+
68.Kb1 Kc3
69.Kc1 a2
and wins

Go to shredderchess and checkout their online endgame database.

O

The Mountains

Moves
18 Mar 06

I normally resign. It ends the frustration. I was in a game at Reno once that I thought was over, almost resigned, found a way out, offered a draw, and then won.

But, that scenario is usually few and far bewteen.

O40

m

Moves
18 Mar 06
1 edit

Originally posted by masscat
[fen]8/8/5N2/8/pkpn4/8/K7/8 b - -[/fen]

58.... Nb5
59.Nd5+ Kc5
60.Ne3
All correct so far.
60...c3
61.Kb1 Nd4
62.Ka2 c2
63.Nxc2 Nxc2
64.Kb2 Nd4
65.Ka3 Kb5
66.Ka2 Kb4
67.Kb2 a3+
68.Kb1 Kc3
69.Kc1 a2
and wins

Might be tricky from there, but once the knights were off black missed the win with 65...Kc3 - and that's simple endgame technique.

N

The sky

Moves
18 Mar 06

My rating is currently over 1700 (which is partly due to some wins by timeout, so it doesn't reflect my true playing strength which is probably more 1600-ish), and yet I would still be perfectly able to screw up some basic endgames. It's possible (even easy) to get to a rating around 1600 here with very little experience. I have played 145 games here. Many of those ended before reaching the endgame. In some, my opponent resigned when we reached an endgame which was "clearly won" for me, so I was deprived of the practice. Only a few ended in an endgame which was played out. Before I joined TFC, I played quite a few games in Chessmaster, but those were usually fast games which very rarely got to an endgame. And I have been too lazy to study endgames thoroughly. In other words, never assume that a 1600 player knows what he/she is doing.

NS
blunderer of pawns

Rhode (not an)Island

Moves
18 Mar 06

Originally posted by Nordlys
My rating is currently over 1700 (which is partly due to some wins by timeout, so it doesn't reflect my true playing strength which is probably more 1600-ish), and yet I would still be perfectly able to screw up some basic endgames. It's possible (even easy) to get to a rating around 1600 here with very little experience. I have played 145 games here. Many o ...[text shortened]... ames thoroughly. In other words, never assume that a 1600 player knows what he/she is doing.
Yes, what you say has a great deal of validity. I guess I"m thinking mainly of OTB play, where it's pretty much unheard of to find a 1600 player who doesn't know of such concepts as the opposition in king and pawn endgames. Still, it's correspondence, and even if someone hasn't stumbled across this theme, I'd think they would have time to work out all the variations and make sure they make the right moves to secure the win. Of course, I realize that some players are very likely to see a king and pawn endgame, and not even realize there's a possiblity of stalemate rather than promotion if they're not careful.

NS
blunderer of pawns

Rhode (not an)Island

Moves
18 Mar 06

Originally posted by masscat
[fen]8/8/5N2/8/pkpn4/8/K7/8 b - -[/fen]

58.... Nb5
59.Nd5+ Kc5
60.Ne3
All correct so far.
60...c3
61.Kb1 Nd4
62.Ka2 c2
63.Nxc2 Nxc2
64.Kb2 Nd4
65.Ka3 Kb5
66.Ka2 Kb4
67.Kb2 a3+
68.Kb1 Kc3
69.Kc1 a2
and wins

Funny how you put "simple" in quotes when I never even used that word in my original post. I said "basic". And the only part of it that I referred to as basic was the king and pawn endgame. I never mentioned anything about before the knights were traded, and yet you post a FEN with the knights still on. I guess it's possible to make any argument sound convincing if you just read into things whatever you wish.

N

The sky

Moves
18 Mar 06

Still, it's correspondence, and even if someone hasn't stumbled across this theme, I'd think they would have time to work out all the variations and make sure they make the right moves to secure the win.
That's true. If I get into an endgame I don't know how to play, I'll spend a lot of time on my moves and may also look up that type of endgame. Even so I might still make a mistake which a more experienced player wouldn't make, because there's some basic principle involved which I haven't understood yet, or because I overlook something or am not looking far enough ahead.

Hinesville, GA

Moves
18 Mar 06

Originally posted by millerman
TWo things i have to say to that powershaker:-

1- Oh my god, i may never play chess again lol

2- I'm never playing you, EVER lol.

But seriously i can see why people get upset with losing, but being shot over a game of chess, Gez, thats a bit too far...
Like yesterday, I played this 1400 player, and I won three from him and lost one. I was dwelling on that one loss the whole knight - not even thinking of the three wins. LOL

Hinesville, GA

Moves
18 Mar 06
8 edits

Originally posted by Ragnorak
I would just like to add that you are among the top 10 biggest "A Holes" I have come across on the forums. The way you name "and shame" jerbee is ridiculous, especially considering the fact that you readily admit in the quoted post, that you actually do what you accuse him of *intentionally*, while rating points may not even enter jerbee's head.

D
I'm just tired of waiting for my points when he's obviously in a hopeless situation. And, the only reason jerbee is upset is because I smashed his ego! I OWN HIM! Tell him to stop crying so much. If he's done with me, just resign the games like a man. Geez! And, as for you, I don't know you from a hole in the ground. But, your standing up for jerbee (to use a gerund) makes me wonder if you have some holes in your cerebellum. Tell him to limp off and whine like a lost puppy and just resign. Tell him to brave the fair waters of "loserville." Tell him - with that plastic 1700s rating on redhotpawn.com - that it's over, and he needs to end his sorrow and misery from being SMASHED BY THE POWERSHAKER! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

p.s. Hope I didn't seem to cruel in this post. hehe!

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
19 Mar 06

Originally posted by powershaker
I'm just tired of waiting for my points when he's obviously in a hopeless situation. And, the only reason jerbee is upset is because I smashed his ego! I OWN HIM! Tell him to stop crying so much. If he's done with me, just resign the games like a man. Geez! And, as for you, I don't know you from a hole in the ground. But, your standing up for jerb ...[text shortened]... POWERSHAKER! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

p.s. Hope I didn't seem to cruel in this post. hehe!
If the POWERSHAKER is so powerful why did you pretend not to see my open challenge? You claimed that you would have a 1700+ rating soon and would be tough for me to beat and then when I called you on it you ignored me.

Sounds like I own you.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
19 Mar 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
If the POWERSHAKER is so powerful why did you pretend not to see my open challenge? You claimed that you would have a 1700+ rating soon and would be tough for me to beat and then when I called you on it you ignored me.

Sounds like I own you.
Heard he's moved back to Hawaii and has wire less internet connection. No more library for him.

Will he get to 1700 like he says? No more excuses...

Stay tuned, da da da.

Looking at the 2 games vs jerbee he has, 2-0 for him. The one vs aging blitzer is very interesting. I've been following it for a week now.

ab

Moves
19 Mar 06

I guess you mean Game 1837385
shhhhh, in progress

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
19 Mar 06

Originally posted by aging blitzer
I guess you mean Game 1837385
shhhhh, in progress
That's the one. Very interesting.

Hinesville, GA

Moves
20 Mar 06
2 edits

Originally posted by millerman
P.S Poweshaker,

I reckon i can beat you 😉

Only kidding 😳
What are you having a sad face for? You have a 1300+ rating. That says you're a good casual player. 🙂 Be strong, young Jedi! Purchase the Lev Alburt series of chess books.