Playing on in a hopeless situation.

Playing on in a hopeless situation.

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hinesville, GA

Moves
22 Mar 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
Done.

Oh by the way, no whining because I play by correspondence rules. If you don't want to use books and databases then that's your problem, I will however be using them (as always).
Oh, I do not care if you someone uses books and databases on here. I just care if they use engines to make one or two moves when they start losing. Intermittent cheating. You know? But, I've already made my move. 1.) e4!

BEST BY TEST!

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
22 Mar 06

Originally posted by powershaker
Yeah, but I'm not pressuring myself. I give it four months or less. When it happens, it happens. I got two wins coming from jerbee whose rated at 1700. That should bag me at least 30+ points. ANd, I have some other games I feel I will no doubt win. I should be in the 1600s after these games I'm playing at present. So, you may be right.
The way I see it, within 30 day you were at 1612 ish so say 1620, 80 points left.

You got 2 months. That's more then reasonable for 80 points. Begin 🙂
I wish you best of luck but as our club says, You will be ridiculed if you don't deliver.

I'm not as harsh as them but I will do it on their behalf and I'm sure other player on here will also do it.

2 months, Shaker.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
22 Mar 06

Originally posted by powershaker
Oh, I do not care if you someone uses books and databases on here. I just care if they use engines to make one or two moves when they start losing. Intermittent cheating. You know? But, I've already made my move. 1.) e4!

BEST BY TEST!
Game 1913457

7 day timeout?

Woah, generally how do you guys still find the game fun after 2 months have gone by and its still not over?

I would be sick of it, 2 months is alright.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
22 Mar 06

Originally posted by RahimK
The way I see it, within 30 day you were at 1612 ish so say 1620, 80 points left.
I just hit 1620 too, we'll see who get's to 1700 first. 🙂

not holding my breath though, I'll be perfectly happy if I manage to stay 1600+....

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
22 Mar 06
1 edit

Game 1913457

7 day timeout?

Woah, generally how do you guys still find the game fun after 2 months have gone by and its still not over?

I would be sick of it, 2 months is alright.
I've got just under 120 games in progress many of them against top players (Northern Lad, Tebb, nicohuyboom and Gatecrasher for example). The 7 day timeout is basically just insurance so I'm not forced into moving without time to think.

I was hoping to play powershaker in a pair of matched games (so I could show him how dangerous 1. d4 can be) but no matter.

SS

Moves
22 Mar 06

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
22 Mar 06

Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
I hope you would be making all the moves blitz style in the library to make it a fair match.
Didn't you get the memo, powershaker is in Hawaii now and has internet.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
22 Mar 06

I've got just under 120 games in progress many of them against top players (Northern Lad, Tebb, nicohuyboom and Gatecrasher for example). The 7 day timeout is basically just insurance so I'm not forced into moving without time to think.

I was hoping to play powershaker in a pair of matched games (so I could show him how dangerous 1. d4 can be) but no matter.
I see what you mean. How long do those game take to finish though?

Wouldn't it be the same if you go:

3 day timeout, 7 day bank and play 40 game

Compared to 7/7 and play 120 game?

Say after a year don't you finish about the same number of games?

I play 1/7 with 3 game at once and I see people playing 3/7 with 20 games at once. I think in 4 month or so we both finish about the same number of games.

And most of the people with longer timebanks say they don't spend extra time on the game. That's just for insurance.

So I don't get why people don't play 1/7 and play less games?

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
26 Mar 06
2 edits

take careful note of the starting position ... yes, my opponent is a knight and move down, for no compensation ... Game 1628617 😳

well done Bad Wolf!

a

Forgotten

Moves
26 Mar 06

In over the board play at a chess club,playing on in a hopeless situation is a sign of disrespect. It is like saying,"you are too stupid to win this game".This type of player usually gets few repeat games,and is destined to play the weaker members of the club,and not have the opportunity to play the stronger players and improve their game.

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
26 Mar 06
1 edit

Originally posted by aspviper666
In over the board play at a chess club,playing on in a hopeless situation is a sign of disrespect. It is like saying,"you are too stupid to win this game".This type of player usually gets few repeat games,and is destined to play the weaker members of the club,and not have the opportunity to play the stronger players and improve their game.
my misspent chess youth involved grey haired hungarians and russians blowing smoke over the table and tapping the table and removing their shoes and shuffling around and talking in foreign tongues and anything but such gentlemanly behaviour ...

i guess i had the wrong surname, if only it had ended in "-ovic".

a

Forgotten

Moves
26 Mar 06
1 edit

Originally posted by flexmore
my misspent chess youth involved grey haired hungarians and russians blowing smoke over the table and tapping the table and removing their shoes and shuffling around and talking in foreign tongues and anything but such gentlemanly behaviour ...

i guess i had the wrong surname, if only it had ended in "-ovic".
Ah yes,I remember well the days of "smoke wars"at the chess board.
I was the second best at smoking out my opponents with my chain smoking.The smokers champ was a pipe smoker with the worst smelling tobacco in the world.Grey haired Russians???Did you play at the old Greeley chess club??????I resemble that comment.lol
Now that we can not smoke at the board,I have to eat beans and gas out my opponent.Again I am second best at this,The best is this Mexican fellow who must live on beans and eggs. 😀

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
26 Mar 06

I see what you mean. How long do those game take to finish though?

Wouldn't it be the same if you go:

3 day timeout, 7 day bank and play 40 game

Compared to 7/7 and play 120 game?

Say after a year don't you finish about the same number of games?

I play 1/7 with 3 game at once and I see people playing 3/7 with 20 games at once. I think in 4 mont ...[text shortened]... at's just for insurance.

So I don't get why people don't play 1/7 and play less games?
I don't make moves most weekends. That makes almost all 1/x games unplayable for me (Although I do have two from the From Gambit tournament going). As such I play mostly 3/7 games. However with 66 of those in progress right now I preferred to start new games with a longer timeout.

I move in my longer games whenever I get the chance. It's not like I don't make lots of moves (nearly 900 this month) I just prefer to be able to take my time on a game if it warrents it.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
26 Mar 06

I don't make moves most weekends. That makes almost all 1/x games unplayable for me (Although I do have two from the From Gambit tournament going). As such I play mostly 3/7 games. However with 66 of those in progress right now I preferred to start new games with a longer timeout.

I move in my longer games whenever I get the chance. It's not like I don ...[text shortened]... (nearly 900 this month) I just prefer to be able to take my time on a game if it warrents it.
Make sense. Isn't it frustrating though when you are saying winning a game and your opponent prolongs it and you gotta wait 7 days for one move? I don't mean winning like up a piece but say a positional advantage of you got some great combination waiting for him etc...

I know you guys play lots of game but with the few games I play, I really get involved in them and have the need to check on here every now and then and see if my opponent moves in my interesting games.
Slow torture. Don't you ever feel this way? Waiting for a week must be so much harsher.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
26 Mar 06

Waiting for a week must be so much harsher.
Not when you have plenty of other games to be worrying about.

D