1. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    05 May '12 11:37
    I have a game at the moment where I have Queen, Rook, Bishop and four pawns against two pawns. I am going to win next move. Personally I would have resigned ages ago, but if my opponent chooses to play on it's his right and I'm not going to argue with it.

This has been the subject of many pointless threads in the past and the answer often given is that the losing player might have hopes of a draw by stalemate. Now, here is the question. I have NEVER had a game end in stalemate. Have you? What proportion of games do actually end that way (or would do by forced moves if a draw was not agreed earlier)? It must be a tiny fraction of 1%.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 May '12 11:44
    That stalemate story is just an euphemism.
    Your opponent is actually hoping that you would die during the game (plenty of possibilities: crash accident, killed by your mother-in-law or in a bank robbery, fatal illness, shark attack etc.)
  3. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    05 May '12 11:462 edits
    Long ago,as a rank beginner,I have stalemated and been stalemated.Don't recall it ever happening after I learned to play a bit.

I think stalemate is fairly common among beginners but excluding those I'd say your 1% is even too optimistic.

edit: and I agree with vandervelde.They're really playing the 'dead man's defence'
  4. e4
    Moves
    05 May '12 14:51
    I have found if a player has just one Stalemate on his cards then the
    chances are he will seek more. Your opponent has been involved in a stalemate.
    Game 4983461.

History does dictate he is slow to resign (and as you said he is perfectly within
    his right to do so) He waited till your second Queen appeared before resigning
    Game 7009477

There is one lad on here, the odd name escapes me, who has had 19 Stalemates.

You have played each other a few times on here.
    Some interesting and good fun games.
    That mate from the blue you gave him in Game 7497627 was well spotted
    and planned.

That was you getting him back for this game.

I liked his sneaky back rank trap in this game. You were White.

Black to play.

Most of us would play 1....Nc8 The Rook can take care of the a-pawn.
    Instead...

5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 May '12 11:20
    Originally posted by C J Horse
    This has been the subject of many pointless threads in the past and the answer often given is that the losing player might have hopes of a draw by stalemate. Now, here is the question. I have NEVER had a game end in stalemate. Have you?
    Yes: Thread 145581.

Richard
  6. e4
    Moves
    07 May '12 13:22
    "What proportion of games do actually end that way."

To date 6902 championship have finished. Just 220 Rd1 games to go! (7122-6902).

So far 6 have ended in stalemate.

Game 9038273
    Game 9039216
    Game 9039407
    Game 9041228
    Game 9041675
    Game 9043654

So the average is approx 1 stalemate every 1,150 games.

The game in question has finished. Game 9099814
    It was obvious the lad was going for a stalemate from move 26
    when he gives up his Rook and Bishop.

I can understand the frustration but you are a sub so you can
    have as many games as you like. Non subs I think feel this more
    especially if they are involved on one of these 21 days a move games.

In the actual game 17.Qe6+ instead of 17.b4 batters him off the board.

Also after you queened I looked for a quicker win and there is one.
    Instead of 36.Qe8+ the move 36.Qb5 cutting off the flight squares
    was quicker. Black can do nothing to prevent to 37.Rd4 mate.
    (In these situations cover the flight squares, then any check wins.)
  7. Joined
    21 Jul '04
    Moves
    07 May '12 21:04
    Originally posted by C J Horse
    ...This has been the subject of many pointless threads in the past and the answer often given is that the losing player might have hopes of a draw by stalemate. Now, here is the question. I have NEVER had a game end in stalemate. Have you? What proportion of games do actually end that way (or would do by forced moves if a draw was not agreed earlier)? It must be a tiny fraction of 1%.
    I don't know the percentage of which stalemates occour but in endgames the stalemate theme can be what canges the evaluation from a win to a draw. Stalemates are usual in many endings e.g.: Rock vs. bishop, Rock+pawn vs. Rock. Quen vs. a/c/f/h 2/7 pawn. And in the unusual ending: 2 knights vs. none/ one pawn.

Sometimes its a theme even in mittlegames. When one side have all pawns locked, he might be able to sacrifice all pieces, ending with a magnet queen/rock-check sacrifice which if acceptet grants him the stalemate and otherwise grants him a perputial check until the sacrifice is accepted.
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 May '12 14:33
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Yes: Thread 145581.

Richard
    And another!

Game 9208572.

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree