1. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    23 Nov '07 16:53
    Hi

I'm currently playing against someone rated much higher than me (about 1800 - I usually float between 1350-1450), who made noises that he wasn't happy that I played like a 1600+ rated player against him, and inferred cheating by saying he was going to refer me to a moderator or a 2000+ rated player.

The irony is, the game in question would be a draw if it wasn't for the fact that I have less time left than him, so will lose on the clock!

During our messages to each other, I mentioned that anyone could make blunders and lose to lesser rated players, for example I beat a 1900+ rated player a while ago after 27 moves when he fell for what I thought was an obvious trap.

Is it really true that it gets up the noses of higher rated players when they are beaten or held to a draw by players rated several hundred points lower than them? Does it automatically raise suspicions if someone plays a better game than their current ranking suggests? Is it worthy of reporting to a moderator? (Especially when the game is petering out into a draw?)

Does it really touch a nerve when a 1300+ rated player plays like a 1600+ player? Aren't we supposed to be improving our play? Can't lower rated players sometimes spot good moves and play well?

How about a 1300+ rated player beating a 1900+ rated player in less than 30 moves? What has the 1300+ player done to warrant suspicion?

http://www.redhotchess.com/gameanalysis/boardhistory.php?gameid=4216586
  2. Joined
    02 Oct '07
    Moves
    23 Nov '07 17:24
    You're probably just dealing with a sore loser. Don't let it get to you, it's human nature to make up the most far-fetched excuses for losing games.
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    23 Nov '07 18:25
    Originally posted by PawnCurry
    Hi

Is it really true that it gets up the noses of higher rated players when they are beaten or held to a draw by players rated several hundred points lower than them? Does it automatically raise suspicions if someone plays a better game than their current ranking suggests?
    no it doesn't. and blaming the opponent for one's own mistakes is just stupid.

ouch! I bet nallapuh lost some hair after walking right into that backrank mate! 😀
  4. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    23 Nov '07 18:40
    Originally posted by zzyw
    You're probably just dealing with a sore loser. Don't let it get to you, it's human nature to make up the most far-fetched excuses for losing games.
    That's the strange thing - positionally it's a draw, but he will actually end up winning as he has more time left than me. I think he just expected to have an easier time against me. Tough titty!

Bit bizarre, but I just wanted to find out if what he was saying was true about high-ranked player's opinions of people playing above their rank. Thanks for the input.
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    23 Nov '07 18:43
    That's the strange thing - positionally it's a draw, but he will actually end up winning as he has more time left than me. I think he just expected to have an easier time against me. Tough titty!

Bit bizarre, but I just wanted to find out if what he was saying was true about high-ranked player's opinions of people playing above their rank. Thanks for the input.
    if it really is a draw, it's a draw if you just move on time.
  6. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Nov '07 18:44

Anyone can study and get better..and the funny thing is once you start really learning how to play you will ( ok I did ) play worse for awhile untill you adjust to playing correctly.

As for trying to thro you to the wolves and saying you are a cheater...that is just sad. I have been beaten by players lower than me and it all comes down to them seeing a mistake and jumping on it then playing very good through the rest of the game.

Dave
  7. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    23 Nov '07 18:44
    Originally posted by wormwood
    no it doesn't. and blaming the opponent for one's own mistakes is just stupid.

ouch! I bet nallapuh lost some hair after walking right into that backrank mate! 😀
    Yeah, to be honest I didn't expect him to fall for the queen sac trap, but he obviously just took his eye off the ball. Still, my biggest ever scalp, and it's nice when these things do come off!

Thanks for the input btw.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree