1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 04:01
    If you recieved this PM from your opponent, who then without waiting for your response, went off of a few days and exceeded the games time controls. Would you time them out?
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 04:16
    Originally posted by divegeester
    If you recieved this PM from your opponent, who then without waiting for your response, went off of a few days and exceeded the games time controls. Would you time them out?
    What do you think?
  3. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 04:19
    If they said, "Don't play the checkmate.", would you have to think about it?
    I hate to say it, but the timer should just expire like it does at most of the other chess sites. Claiming the skull, makes a lot users feel unnecessarily guilty.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 04:20
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    What do you think?
    I'm undecided.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 04:23
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    I hate to say it, but the timer should just expire like it does at most of the other chess sites. Claiming the skull, makes a lot users feel unnecessarily guilty.
    I always take timeouts and i feel slightly irritated that this player has sent me a pm asking me not to because now I feel a little obliged. However I pm'd back saying "maybe...but why don't you use your vacation?" No response.

Think I'll hit the skull if it pops up.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 04:28
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    Not me. I crush all skulls with a big smile on my face.

There should at least be an option to set AUTOSKULL = ON.
  7. Joined
    28 Jun '07
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 05:44
    I prefer not to take skulls in games that aren't already clearly won on the board and certainly wouldn't in this case.

What does claiming skulls achieve besides:

1) prematurely ending a game; and
    2) artificially inflating your rating?
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 05:551 edit
    If you're a nonsub, it gets you another game slot. Not to be sneezed at.
  9. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 06:00
    Originally posted by geo86012
    I prefer not to take skulls in games that aren't already clearly won on the board and certainly wouldn't in this case.

It also teaches the opponent to play under the conditions that they agreed.

Let's say for instance, that I have 6 game slots and want to play fast one move a day games (moving multiple times daily).
    If someone takes my challenge and doesn't move but once a week, one of my slots is gone. Five more times and I'm not even playing daily anymore.

A time limit is like a contract.
    I agree to move in x days. When someone goes back on that, why shouldn't you teach them a lesson.

If following the agreed time is such a problem, there are games limits in the 21 days a move range, with 7 days of timebank!
  10. Blighty
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 06:20
    If It is a clan, tournament, siege or ladder match then I'd take the skull without pause, If a friendly game then I never time out.

I believe that automatic time-outs should occur in the four types mentioned, after a few days to keep things flowing.

S
  11. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 08:20
    New thread in Site Ideas Thread 148585 requesting an auto-timeout option. Please add your thoughts/suggestions/thumbs there.
  12. e4
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 13:04
    I take all skulls without a moments thought.

If the lad has some reason why he will not make the move in time
    then it must be something more important than a game of chess
    and losing a game on timeout would be the least of his worries.

What is the lad's timeout record?
    If he has never been skulled then consider it.
    If he has been skulled in the past - crunch him. He knows the rules.
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 13:37
    Originally posted by geo86012

It is not premature, because a game-ending condition, specified at the start of the game, has been met.

It is not artificial, since time is an acknowledged part of the game.

And, as paul says, it encourages a culture where people abide by the time control.
  14. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 14:11
    Many things to consider and it all depends on the circumstances. Weigh these up and make a decision

* Are you a non subscriber with limited games slots. I've only got 6 slots so at the moment I tend to flag.
    * Are you playing too many games and want to get the number down? Last I subscribed to too many games and some nights I was up until 7am in the morning. At the time I flagged everything. I also targeted the weaker opponents with aggressive/dubious opening lines to try to finish the games quickly
    * Is you position clearly won? I always flag if the position is clearly won unless I'm in the process of teaching an opponent.
    * Is the position of interest to you? I use RHP to help with my over the board opening preparation. If I need to spend more time on this line then I would usually give some grace.
    * Is it a decisive game in a tournament you are trying to win?
    * Are you playing for a team? I would usually flag if the team result depends on the game.
    * Is this a friendly knock about game? Are you chatting and discussing the opening as you play. I tend not to flag in these situation although at the moment with limited games I would probably flag
  15. Joined
    16 Nov '07
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 15:10
    Only bad things can happen if you allow this behavior.

Add skull to pile. Move on. Sleep well.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree