1. Joined
    18 Mar '07
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 01:13
    Game 3823087

Where did I go wrong?

What can I do to improve my game? I am sick of losing to those expert players. I have played maybe 20-30 blitz games with them and only winning once due to their blunder and drawing only once.
    I never draw/won against them playing normal time/CC.

What will it take to beat them?
  2. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 01:19
    I don't like 20 exf6, because it makes the d pawn tough to hold. Then taking the bishop set his attack on the d pawn. It appears that was the main point of your loss.
  3. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 01:22
    Well you went wrong in a couple of places.

First of all 10. e5?? was nothing short of a positional blunder.

When you have a large center like that in the Grunfeld you must maintain it at d4 and e4, not advance it.

You must take neccessary precautions before advancing your pawn center. In fact, your opponent did well to exploit the weaknesses your created with e5.

First is the hole on d5. Moving the e pawn made the d5 square very weak, and your opponent used it as a home and jumping point for his pieces. Second is you made your d-pawn backward, which he later won.
    Notice his 13...Bxd5. He was careful not to play cxd5, capturing toward the center and establishing a central pawn, because it would cover up the d5 square and close the d-file to your d pawn.

After he established the passed pawn, there was no way to stop him from winning.
  4. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 01:24
    Originally posted by Viscovery
    Game 3823087

Where did I go wrong?

What can I do to improve my game? I am sick of losing to those expert players. I have played maybe 20-30 blitz games with them and only winning once due to their blunder and drawing only once.
    I never draw/won against them playing normal time/CC.

Where did I go wrong?

1. d4 😛

What can I do to improve my game?

Study more and hope they make a mistake.

More study, a better understanding of the game, a little bit of luck and spending a few more minutes thinking about the move you are about to make and the possible consequences.

It is possible to beat the better players.

Here are a few examples of mine - my highest rating is only 1523.

Game 853210 A player rated at 1927.

Game 971127 A player rated at 1945 at his highest.
  5. Joined
    18 Mar '07
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 01:27
    Originally posted by Ramned
    I don't like 20 exf6, because it makes the d pawn tough to hold. Then taking the bishop set his attack on the d pawn. It appears that was the main point of your loss.
    Thank you for your comments....but I had no choice. 20.exf6 is what I thought the best given the alternative

lf 20. Bxd5 Qxd5 21. Nf3 f4 22. Bc1 Nxd4 23. Nxd4 Qxd4

It is only a matter of time my e-pawn will fall. I think I make the mistake earlier
  6. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 01:312 edits
    Thank you for your comments....but I had no choice. 20.exf6 is what I thought the best given the alternative

lf 20. Bxd5 Qxd5 21. Nf3 f4 22. Bc1 Nxd4 23. Nxd4 Qxd4

It is only a matter of time my e-pawn will fall. I think I make the mistake earlier
    20 Looks like you've proved 20 Bxd5 is bad. I see a good alternative....My advice for this game is not to make a move you realize is bad. It appears to me that you actually knew 20 exf6 was bad...?
  7. Joined
    18 Mar '07
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 01:341 edit
    Originally posted by MoneyMaker7

When you have a large center like that in the Grunfeld you must maintain it at d4 and e4, not advance it.

You must take neccessary precautions before advancing your pawn center. In fact, your opponent did well to exploit the weaknesses yo ...[text shortened]... your d pawn.

After he established the passed pawn, there was no way to stop him from winning.
    Good comment....I moved e5 because I was afraid of my e-pawn due to b5. I didn't want to move a3 because Black can play a4 and then Be6 and Bb3.

Actually I should have played Qc2.

To tell you honestly, for some strange reason Be6 was not even analysed by me. I thought He would moved his knight to d5 and I exchanged my knight and then Queen and I would get my d-pawn covered with another pawn
  8. Joined
    18 Mar '07
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 01:35
    20 Looks like you've proved 20 Bxd5 is bad. I see a good alternative....My advice for this game is not to make a move you realize is bad. It appears to me that you actually knew 20 exf6 was bad...?
    I was put into a lose-lose scenario. play 20.Bxd5 is bad and 20.exf6 is bad.

I couldn't see any good alternative.
  9. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 01:35
    Originally posted by MoneyMaker7

You must take neccessary precautions before advancing your pawn center. In fact, your opponent did well to exploit the weaknesses yo ...[text shortened]... your d pawn.

I think this is true.
    Seeing his advance on his A-C ranks, off a short look I would have retreated my queen or tried to defend somehow. Maybe a gambit on b5?
  10. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 01:36
    5. Qb3?

as can be seen from the next few moves, black exploits your rather odd queen placement(s) with b5, a5, and Be6

13.Nxd5?

Blacks bishop at e6 is a weakness, the N trade allows Bxd5, a much better square for the bishop.

perhaps even Nd1 was better than this!

15. b3?

the pawn trade will favour black, seeing as it not black that will be left with an isolated pawn.

18. axb3?

this starts a sequence where whites postion will weaken...f5 of course threatens f4, the only reasonable move is of course capture, which leaves an isolated d-pawn.

the rest of the was simply white trying and failing to defend that pawn...

i'd say from move 5 you were are a disadvantage, by 15. b3 is was virtually lost.
  11. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 01:38
    I was put into a lose-lose scenario. play 20.Bxd5 is bad and 20.exf6 is bad.

I couldn't see any good alternative.
    20 - Rd1.

That would at least provide protection for the d rank. But 10 e5 caused the mess.
  12. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 01:40
    20 - Rd1.

That would at least provide protection for the d rank. But 10 e5 caused the mess.
    IMO, the mess was not 10.e5 but 5.Qb3
  13. Joined
    18 Mar '07
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 01:43
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    5. Qb3?

as can be seen from the next few moves, black exploits your rather odd queen placement(s) with b5, a5, and Be6

13.Nxd5?

Blacks bishop at e6 is a weakness, the N trade allows Bxd5, a much better square for the bishop.

perhaps even Nd1 was better than this!

15. b3?

the pawn trade will favour black, seeing as it not black tha ...[text shortened]... pawn...

i'd say from move 5 you were are a disadvantage, by 15. b3 is was virtually lost.
    5.Qb3 is the russian system. White do not have to defend a larger center then the main lines but the White Queen can be under attack.

Actually, it should be an equal position. White has better center but poor queen position. I should not have lost from 5.Qb3 at the very least a draw.
  14. Joined
    18 Mar '07
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 01:44
    20 - Rd1.

20Rd1 loses to f4. my bishop is trapped.
  15. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 01:44
    5.Qb3 is the russian system. White do not have to defend a larger center then the main lines but the White Queen can be under attack.

Actually, it should be an equal position. White has better center but poor queen position. I should not have lost from 5.Qb3 at the very least a draw.
    Personally I would play e3.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree