1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 19:38
    I just won against a 1200 provisional. Don't you get at least one point for that? I got zero. No big deal but I thought you got something for a win even against a p.
  2. Joined
    15 Feb '07
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 19:501 edit
    Your rating is 1200 until you finish 5 games. After that it should adjust to the average "game value" of your games, and continue doing so until you have played 20 games.

The game value of a game is equal to your opponent's rating + a score for the result. A win is worth 400 points against an established player, 200 for a provisional, and a loss is the same, only you lose those points.

While provisional, you can lose points by winning (if the player is rated well below you), and gain points by winning to someone significantly higher.

Ooops: I thought you were asking something different.. my bad. Not sure how it handles scoring for the first 5 opponents of a player.
  3. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 20:45
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I just won against a 1200 provisional. Don't you get at least one point for that? I got zero. No big deal but I thought you got something for a win even against a p.
    FAQ

Your rating is such that you were expected to crush them and as such you are not rewarded for doing so.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 21:03
    Originally posted by adramforall
    FAQ

Your rating is such that you were expected to crush them and as such you are not rewarded for doing so.
    That's why I avoid playing to provisional players if I can.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 22:59
    Originally posted by adramforall
    FAQ

I thought if you were within 400 points of your opponent you got at least one point for a win.1591-1200=391. Maybe thats close enough to make it zero. But if I lose to a 2400 player don't I at least lose one point?
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 23:421 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I thought if you were within 400 points of your opponent you got at least one point for a win.1591-1200=391. Maybe thats close enough to make it zero. But if I lose to a 2400 player don't I at least lose one point?
    Was the game rated? Because it's not appearing on your rating graph.
  7. Canada
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 23:441 edit
    no, once you get to a certain level...say im 2000 rated, versus 1200, and i win, i will not gain a point, its just the way the system works so people cant beat 1200 rated players everyday and make it to 2000. If a rating is just far behind your own, you really shouldnt deserve a point anyhow.

As towards your own not gaining a point, you should of because your ratings are relatively close...it could be that your opponent is 0-3 or 0-4 and the system is rating the player a lot lower then 1200(maybe like p800) and therefore do not receive a point.
  8. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 23:46
    Originally posted by ItsYouThatIAdore
    no, once you get to a certain level...say im 2000 rated, versus 1200, and i win, i will not gain a point, its just the way the system works so people cant beat 1200 rated players everyday and make it to 2000. If a rating is just far behind your own, you really shouldnt deserve a point anyhow.

As towards your own not gaining a point, you should of ...[text shortened]... s rating the player a lot lower then 1200(maybe like p800) and therefore do not receive a point.
    Check the rating formula. By that he should gain 3 points for beating a 1200 player, which should then be halved because the player is provisional giving him either 1 or 2 points depending on rounding.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 00:13
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Was the game rated? Because it's not appearing on your rating graph.
    It was with Son768, you are right, the answer is it was unrated. I didn't see that when I accepted the game which the guy sprung on me unbidden.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree