1. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    31 Dec '06 14:14
    Originally posted by giantrobot
    http://www.uschess.org/msa/MbrDtlMain.php?12138610

Rating was 1951

The great thing about poker right now is how many people are playing. Most of them are terrible. I netted just under $2400 last year. and I am not good at all.
    ahh well found
  2. Joined
    14 Dec '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '06 15:29
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    Is that the real Hellmuth? I only ask because it's funny the commentators on the poker keep going on about Lederer's chess but have never mentioned Hellmuth's (maybe it's cos they do not like him or maybe they just do not know?). Or maybe they have and I have missed them talking about it.
    That should be the real Phil Hellmuth. Earlier he had real name and homepage etc. listed.

And the fact Hellmuth is a great chessplayer has been mentioned by the commentators quite often. Although there are usually more juicy things to say about him so I guess they don't repeat it as often. 🙂
  3. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    31 Dec '06 15:36
    Originally posted by Zlaire
    That should be the real Phil Hellmuth. Earlier he had real name and homepage etc. listed.

And the fact Hellmuth is a great chessplayer has been mentioned by the commentators quite often. Although there are usually more juicy things to say about him so I guess they don't repeat it as often. 🙂
    Yeah I can see that and I guess to 99% of the viewers what they say is a lot more interesting, I can't deny that I get sucked in too, he makes a good 'bad guy'
  4. Standard membernonnymoose
    Average Guy
    Chicago, IL
    Moves
    01 Jan '07 20:34
    Define better?

I like chess better -- but I like to play cards as well -- thought not poker in particular.

Being a good card player is indeed similar to being a good chess player.

Do you like socializing with people? Poker is probably better. Poker is more than one on one. You play poker and you are cool -- you play chess and you are a nerd (in the USA anyway).

Wonder if the best poker players make more than the best chess players?

I see no reason to make the case that either one is superior to the other.

Nonny
  5. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    01 Jan '07 20:57
    Originally posted by nonnymoose
    Define better?

I like chess better -- but I like to play cards as well -- thought not poker in particular.

Being a good card player is indeed similar to being a good chess player.

Do you like socializing with people? Poker is probably better. Poker is more than one on one. You play poker and you are cool -- you play chess and you are a nerd ( ...[text shortened]... ayers?

I see no reason to make the case that either one is superior to the other.

Nonny
    I can't afford to play poker.

At the Bellargio in November they were asking $100000 just to "buy in" to a game of Hold Em.

Chess only costs me $100 per annum all in.
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Jan '07 21:31
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    I can't afford to play poker.

At the Bellargio in November they were asking $100000 just to "buy in" to a game of Hold Em.

Chess only costs me $100 per annum all in.
    $100,000!? Holy crap - that just can't be accurate, the Main Event (biggest prize pool/tournament in poker) is only $10,000 for a buy in.
  7. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    01 Jan '07 22:41
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    $100,000!? Holy crap - that just can't be accurate, the Main Event (biggest prize pool/tournament in poker) is only $10,000 for a buy in.
    OK, I confess it was a "very high stakes game" in their very secure "high rollers" haven and us mere mortals could have bought into a game in the Luxor for a few hundred but amazing how many could afford the really big stakes.
  8. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 00:08
    Originally posted by giantrobot
    http://www.uschess.org/msa/MbrDtlMain.php?12138610

Rating was 1951

The great thing about poker right now is how many people are playing. Most of them are terrible. I netted just under $2400 last year. and I am not good at all.
    nice. did you win that on the internet. if so which site do you play on?
  9. Kalamazoo, MI
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 01:30
    Originally posted by Arrak
    nice. did you win that on the internet. if so which site do you play on?
    No, mostly live cash games and tournaments. Would be closer to three grand profit if not for a couple of Omaha/8 no limit sessions and a bad beat heads up at the end of a tournament (won $800 instead of $1300).

Internet poker is good for playing a lot of hands and getting practical experience. $1 sit and go is a great training ground. I found that ultimatebet is probably the best for real competition, even at the micro-stakes level. Just my opinion.
  10. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 05:32
    I know of three very strong (IM or GM) British chess players who have all but given up chess to become professional poker players.

I like playing poker, but I've found that it's difficult to get a decent crowd together for a game. There's usually at least one person who loses more than he can afford and ruins the evening. I've tried playing poker with pretend money, but it's just pointless - every bluff is called and people just gamble their 'money' away very quickly, knowing they'll get it given back to them so the game can carry on.
  11. Standard memberspud2048
    Rooney 8
    LA
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 05:38
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I know of three very strong (IM or GM) British chess players who have all but given up chess to become professional poker players.

I like playing poker, but I've found that it's difficult to get a decent crowd together for a game. There's usually at least one person who loses more than he can afford and ruins the evening. I've tried playing poker with pr ...[text shortened]... ' away very quickly, knowing they'll get it given back to them so the game can carry on.
    I know a guy who game up his job to play internet poker full time.

He makes a decent living and averages something like $2000 a week from his winnings.

He has a photo graphic memory and he has the most amazing party trick.
    Give him a rubic's cube in any random position.
    He will study it for 1 or 2 minutes.
    Then he puts the cube behind his back, closed his eyes.
    And guess what, within a minute, he'll open his eyes and show you a complete cube.

Now that is impressive.
  12. Joined
    03 Jul '03
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 01:49
    I think there are some connections between poker and chess such as the ability to analyze a situation deeply and the skill of pattern recognition. there is an element of luck in poker, but make no mistake that it is a skill game, that over time will give the advantage to the better player.

Here is an interesting blog post:

http://www.chessninja.com/dailydirt/2006/08/chessplayer_wins_90713.htm
  13. Joined
    11 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 02:20
    Originally posted by Fat Lady

I like playing poker, but I've found that it's difficult to get a decent crowd together for a game. There's usually at least one person who loses more than he can afford and ruins the evening. I've tried playing poker with pr ...[text shortened]... ' away very quickly, knowing they'll get it given back to them so the game can carry on.
    Was one of them Norwood? I know he is interested in gambling
  14. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 04:14
    does anybody play on pokerroom. ive got a ton of play money and it would be fun to play poker against a chess player. my user name is M. Arrak

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree