1. Joined
    06 Feb '10
    Moves
    08 Feb '10 04:56
    PLAY WITH A REAL CHESS SET!!

I play online and do well but when I go to tournaments I get destroyed because I am not used to a real set.
  2. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '10 05:50
    Originally posted by KIAPIRCKID

I play online and do well but when I go to tournaments I get destroyed because I am not used to a real set.
    yeah civ, I have the exact same problem. . been training tactics now on a real board and getting used to it much more. when you only play 2d not only do you screw up more but the eyes get tired faster (at least for me)
  3. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '10 06:47
    Originally posted by KIAPIRCKID

I knew a guy who had never played with a real set before.
    Kids pffffffft 😞
  4. Joined
    06 Feb '10
    Moves
    08 Feb '10 06:511 edit
    Real chess is tough. (edit)
  5. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    08 Feb '10 10:42
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Alright, seeing as I'm getting responses of mixed levels of seriousness and utility, let me phrase it this way: how would my time best be spent among the following?

1) Working through tactics puzzles
    2) Working through checkmate puzzles
    3) Locking down my opening sequences
    4) Reviewing some GM games
    5) Playing real-time (OTB or online) games
    6) Ot ...[text shortened]...
    How would you rank these, in terms of being the most useful strategy/strategies for preparing?
    I don't think anyone can give good general advise on this.Quick improvement,as far as that is at all possible,depends on what area you personally need the most training.

Of those 5 you listed I would suggest to do what you enjoy most.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree