Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member Ramned
    The Rams
    02 Apr '08 18:07
    What's the opinion on it? I don't play d4 but it seems a tempting response to Nimzo.

    d4 Nf6
    Nf3 d5
    e3 c5
    Nbd2 Nbd7
    c3 e6
    Bd3

    It wouldn't be too good of a suprise weapon in OTB though I doubt.
  2. Standard member irontigran
    Rob Scheider is..
    02 Apr '08 18:08
    Originally posted by Ramned
    What's the opinion on it? I don't play d4 but it seems a tempting response to Nimzo.

    d4 Nf6
    Nf3 d5
    e3 c5
    Nbd2 Nbd7
    c3 e6
    Bd3

    It wouldn't be too good of a suprise weapon in OTB though I doubt.
    its cool how an opening with a slow buildup can bring nice sacs on the kingside attacks (once the central tension is released)
    try it!
  3. Standard member Korch
    Chess Warrior
    02 Apr '08 18:13
    Originally posted by Ramned
    What's the opinion on it? I don't play d4 but it seems a tempting response to Nimzo.

    d4 Nf6
    Nf3 d5
    e3 c5
    Nbd2 Nbd7
    c3 e6
    Bd3

    It wouldn't be too good of a suprise weapon in OTB though I doubt.
    Unfortunately 3...Bf5 (instead of 3...c5) solves all black problems.
  4. Standard member Ramned
    The Rams
    02 Apr '08 18:15
    Originally posted by Korch
    Unfortunately 3...Bf5 (instead of 3...c5) solves all black problems.
    Yes, if black knows in advance what white intends. Colle's game is more opportunistic than standard.
  5. 02 Apr '08 18:16 / 1 edit
    the three truths about the colle ---
    it is sound, it is conservative, it is dull.

    so if you can handle 2 of the above 3 truths, then go for it.
  6. Standard member Ramned
    The Rams
    02 Apr '08 18:18 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by tonytiger41
    the three truths about the colle ---
    it is sound, it is conservative, it is dull.

    so if you can handle 2 of the above 3 truths, then go for it.
    I think these positional games are really interesting personally, just as much as gambit play.
  7. Standard member najdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    02 Apr '08 18:21
    Originally posted by Korch
    Unfortunately 3...Bf5 (instead of 3...c5) solves all black problems.
    Agreed, it seems to be forgotten in some Colle texts.

    Dealing with d4 deviations by John Cox gives nice lines against it that don't look so good for White.
  8. Standard member Ramned
    The Rams
    02 Apr '08 18:23
    Originally posted by najdorfslayer
    Agreed, it seems to be forgotten in some Colle texts.

    Dealing with d4 deviations by John Cox gives nice lines against it that don't look so good for White.
    Yeah I just learned from Korch that Bf5 does really do some good. it crushes that whole diagonal which is usually important in d4 systems.
  9. Standard member najdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    02 Apr '08 18:42
    Originally posted by Ramned
    Yeah I just learned from Korch that Bf5 does really do some good. it crushes that whole diagonal which is usually important in d4 systems.
    Yeah the thing is after the usual moves White's best plan is usually to play c4 anyway, and you have a slightly inferior version of the Slav.
  10. Standard member Ramned
    The Rams
    02 Apr '08 19:29 / 1 edit
    Well thanks for info, fellas. I learned something new. I requested a Colle System tournament just to see it in practice anyways.

    {Also requested:
    Vienna Game
    Grand Prix Attack
    Bird Opening}
  11. Standard member najdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    02 Apr '08 19:31
    Vienna could be fun
  12. Standard member Ramned
    The Rams
    02 Apr '08 20:12
    Originally posted by najdorfslayer
    Vienna could be fun
    It's my best game as white so I'd definitly be up for that one. I like the GPA as well, both using and against it.
  13. Standard member Korch
    Chess Warrior
    02 Apr '08 20:57
    Originally posted by Ramned
    Yeah I just learned from Korch that Bf5 does really do some good. it crushes that whole diagonal which is usually important in d4 systems.
    Actually its in most Queens gambit and Queens pawn opening setups - if Black managed to place their bishop f5 or exchange white squared bishops, then black must be OK.
  14. 02 Apr '08 23:48
    Originally posted by najdorfslayer
    Yeah the thing is after the usual moves White's best plan is usually to play c4 anyway, and you have a slightly inferior version of the Slav.
    their is no such thing as a weak slav. therefore this must not be slavic. slav=hammer. opponent=nail.

    don't forget it.
  15. 03 Apr '08 02:05
    After 1 d4 Nf6 2 Nf3 d5 3 e3 Bf5, White probably does best to transpose into a Queen's Gambit with 4 c4.

    If instead of 4 c4, White plays the Colle-move 4 Bd3 anyway, Soltis recommends that Black SHOULD NOT capture the Bishop with 4...Bxd3 because of 5 cxd3!, strengthening White's center. Soltis recommends 4...e6 instead.