Pretty good d4 opening: Colle

Pretty good d4 opening: Colle

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
03 Apr 08

Originally posted by gaychessplayer
After 1 d4 Nf6 2 Nf3 d5 3 e3 Bf5, White probably does best to transpose into a Queen's Gambit with 4 c4.

If instead of 4 c4, White plays the Colle-move 4 Bd3 anyway, Soltis recommends that Black SHOULD NOT capture the Bishop with 4...Bxd3 because of 5 cxd3!, strengthening White's center. Soltis recommends 4...e6 instead.
4...e6 is good of course, but in my opinion also 4...Bxd3 is playable - after 5.cxd3 white will have three pawns in center but this center is not too useful for offense as moving e pawn too far (or exchanging it) white doubled pawns d3 and d4 may become weak.

v

Moves
03 Apr 08

Originally posted by gaychessplayer
After 1 d4 Nf6 2 Nf3 d5 3 e3 Bf5, White probably does best to transpose into a Queen's Gambit with 4 c4.

If instead of 4 c4, White plays the Colle-move 4 Bd3 anyway, Soltis recommends that Black SHOULD NOT capture the Bishop with 4...Bxd3 because of 5 cxd3!, strengthening White's center. Soltis recommends 4...e6 instead.
eh, these are not so easy to play...I found it similar to Samisch against QID...I know it should be good but when I come to play it I found myself in trouble...
yes, Florin Gheorghiu won against Fiscer with it, but there are many moves there like g4, h4 with the queens on the board and with the white K in the middle that a patzer like me would not be brave enough to play...
if you do not play very energic with the double pawns you would have a lot of trouble later on...