Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 26 Aug '07 21:02
    I was doing n exercise on a chess site(I don't remember the site).

The exercise was to choose the right piece to promote to. In one at least it was to a rook instead of a queen.

I have seen positions where a knight is better than a queen, but can anyone think of a position where a bishop or a rook is better than a queen?
  2. Standard member chessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    26 Aug '07 21:06
    i'm retarded but i'd think the queen would have same affect as bishop....only more powerful.......but then again......i'm retarded....

i say there is no such position!!....(where a bishop promotion is better than a queen)
  3. 26 Aug '07 21:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    i'm retarded but i'd think the queen would have same affect as bishop....only more powerful.......but then again......i'm retarded....

i say there is no such position!!....(where a bishop promotion is better than a queen)
    for example, if a queen promotion would cause stalemate you would rather a different peice, sometimes a bishop, to safely deliver mate.
  4. 26 Aug '07 21:12 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by mazziewag
    for example, if a queen promotion would cause stalemate you would rather a different peice, sometimes a bishop, to safelty deliver mate.
    Examples here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underpromotion#Promotion_to_rook_or_bishop

Edit: the "Herman Mattison" example is a case I hadn't considered. Although it has to be very rare to say the least, and maybe only in such compositions.
  5. Standard member chessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    26 Aug '07 21:14
    well call me dorothy!!! i guess there is such a position.....

now if ya excuse me....i pissed the bed and i need to change the sheets.
  6. 26 Aug '07 22:11
    Thanks! I forgot about stalemate! I wish I had the URL for the example that I am thinking of, but I can't remember any possible stalemate.

I will take a look ag that link later though. Thanks!
  7. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    26 Aug '07 22:25 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I was doing n exercise on a chess site(I don't remember the site).

The exercise was to choose the right piece to promote to. In one at least it was to a rook instead of a queen.

I have seen positions where a knight is better than a queen, but can anyone think of a position where a bishop or a rook is better than a queen?

c8=B

R & Q deliver stalemate, N cannot win.

Of course Kd7 might just be better so I'm close but not close enough.
  8. 26 Aug '07 23:51
    Every move White can possibly make can lead to a win, except promotion to R or Q. And promotion to Q or R is possible, also, if it is just prepared by another move or moves. The key is that the Black king is trapped by its own pawn. So even a N promotion wins.
  9. 27 Aug '07 00:40
    How can you forget stalemate?!

Sometimes it's more classy to underpromote and mate than to mate with the queen. Just my opinion.
  10. 27 Aug '07 02:21
    Originally posted by MoneyMaker7
    Sometimes it's more classy to underpromote and mate than to mate with the queen. Just my opinion.
    I think that's called kicking them while they are down.
  11. 27 Aug '07 02:28
    I'd move Kd7 for the cleanest win. 2 knights would be very difficult and maybe impossible and Knight/Bishop are a easier but still very difficult for lower players.
  12. 27 Aug '07 02:41
    Originally posted by MoneyMaker7
    How can you forget stalemate?!

I don't think it matters class-wise how you mate. A loss is a loss, a win is a win. A win might be more elegant or have a nicer combination with certain pieces, but they're both equally as classy.

Unless you toy with someone to promote like, 3 queens just because you can, that's not so classy.
  13. Standard member Red Night
    RHP Prophet
    27 Aug '07 03:37
    Originally posted by deeploser
    I think that's called kicking them while they are down.
    I've seen a couple of games posted here where people tried to promote multiple queens or a gaggle of rooks before they mated.

I laugh my head off everytime someone tries this and ends ups with a stalemate.
  14. 27 Aug '07 09:38
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    [fen]8/k1P14/p1K5/N7/8/8/8/8[/fen]

c8=B

R & Q deliver stalemate, N cannot win.

Of course Kd7 might just be better so I'm close but not close enough.
    think a bit, this is preatty easy to win with a Knight too
    Good example of mating with 2 Knights...