1. Joined
    04 Jan '04
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 14:44
    Originally posted by Balla88
    Ask a Russian person.
    I have just asked my Russian colleague and he said "Ahl-Yek-een" (as near as my English ears can tell)

This from Wikipedia:
    Alekhine's name Алехин is pronounced ahl-YEKH-een. The pronunciation Алёхин (ahl-YOKH-een) is a common variant, but Alekhine grew angry if his name was said in this way.
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 15:06
    Spell Alekhine as Aljechin, and the name is easier to pronounce, or at least harder to mispronounce the way most Americans say it.

Now, pronounce Pirc. (hint: it is not pirk, although you may have heard it that way.)
  3. Joined
    31 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 15:09
    Yeah I have heard that his sister always explained how it annoyed him to hear it pronounced that way, nonetheless, the way the e's are written, in Russian it should be read in that way.
  4. Joined
    04 Jan '04
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 15:11
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Spell Alekhine as Aljechin, and the name is easier to pronounce, or at least harder to mispronounce the way most Americans say it.

Now, pronounce Pirc. (hint: it is not pirk, although you may have heard it that way.)
    Peerts ?
  5. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 15:17
    And another, the proper one,... Al-yek- ine
  6. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 17:00
    http://www.chesscafe.com/archives/skittarch.htm

Go to above site and about halfway down click on Interview with Alexander Alekhine. When the pdf file opens click on the link to the recording. It's about a 4 min. interview. I would assume the person interviewing Alekhine is pronouncing his name correctly.
  7. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 17:00
    It's not Al-leck-hine?
  8. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 19:19

Pierce? Peerts also sounds right.
  9. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 19:27
    Originally posted by masscat
    http://www.chesscafe.com/archives/skittarch.htm

Go to above site and about halfway down click on Interview with Alexander Alekhine. When the pdf file opens click on the link to the recording. It's about a 4 min. interview. I would assume the person interviewing Alekhine is pronouncing his name correctly.
    Sorry, mascat, as interesting as the recording was, the interviewer pronounced Alekhine's name like a n00b. It most certainly is NOT pronounced like that. (most newbies make the same mistake that the interviewer did)
  10. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 19:29
    Originally posted by Drumbo
    Sorry, mascat, as interesting as the recording was, the interviewer pronounced Alekhine's name like a n00b. It most certainly is NOT pronounced like that. (most newbies make the same mistake that the interviewer did)
    By the way, chesscafe.com is an awesome site, thanks for the tip mascat.
  11. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 21:04
    Originally posted by Drumbo
    I'm no language expert...it took me three years to learn to speak English. I would have expected the interviewer to ask him just to make sure he was pronouncing it correctly.
  12. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 23:42
    I got the definitive answer....
    http://www.chesscafe.com/text/kmoch05.pdf

Read the article, a contmporary of Alekine's states that he used to get very mad at people mispronouncing his name.....he himself insisted it was "al-yech-in "
  13. Joined
    21 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '06 07:21
    He should have just told them to call him World Champ.
  14. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '06 12:02

I've always Said - "Pie-Rack"
  15. Joined
    20 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 15:42
    Read this article at Chesscafe - here's a view from someone who knew him. http://www.chesscafe.com/text/kmoch05.pdf

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree