1. Joined
    20 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 15:45
    opps - my comment was regarding pronouncing Alekhine: http://www.chesscafe.com/text/kmoch05.pdf - bottom of page 5.
  2. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 21:54
    How about fianchetto? I've always said fee-un-shetto, but I believe it's fee-un-ketto. An Italian would know the proper pronunciation. I like the sound of fee-un-shetto so I'll keep saying it that way, even if I'm wrong. Also, I'm used to saying j'adoube when I adjust the pieces, but I've gotten tired of younger players saying, "Pardon?" as if I had suddenly begun speaking French in the middle of a game. Normally, they say, "adjust." Or simply start shifting the pieces around without saying anything. I guess the problem there would be if someone insisted on the touch move rule. Once, I played a man with no arms. He moved the pieces around with a wire coat hanger between his teeth. Sometimes he'd knock pieces over, and I wondered how the touch move rule would apply to him. Anyway he won the game, and I felt like wrapping the hanger around his neck. So much for sportsmanship.
  3. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 02:11
    Yes fee-an-ketto is correct
  4. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 15:45
    I thought so. I've also heard some younger players call bishops "cutters". I guess that's slang, but I wonder if any other part of the world uses slang for certain pieces.
  5. Standard memberTrains44
    Full speed locomotiv
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 17:43
    Originally posted by TovMauzer
    It is A-LYO-HIN with second stressed syllable. No "k" there.
    Its Bow, as in, take a bow.....Mann, as in Min....Thus, Bowmann. Glad we cleared that up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree