1. Joined
    22 Aug '09
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 05:16
    Hi everyone, I'm pretty new here, and haven't posted before. I'm also just learning to play, and don't have any significant real-board experience to relate my online play to. Anyway, I am wondering what is expected/allowed in terms of talking to your opponent during the game (via the 'message your opponent' button).

Is friendly conversation generally welcome? What about comments related to the game? I have mostly just quietly made my moves, but the few times I sent a message, I was generally ignored other than by a friend of mine who plays here. What is acceptable?
  2. Standard memberMariska Angela
    Nyuszi, golyó!
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 05:23
    Originally posted by sprateleven
    Hi everyone, I'm pretty new here, and haven't posted before. I'm also just learning to play, and don't have any significant real-board experience to relate my online play to. Anyway, I am wondering what is expected/allowed in terms of talking to your opponent during the game (via the 'message your opponent' button).

Is friendly conversation general ...[text shortened]... was generally ignored other than by a friend of mine who plays here. What is acceptable?
    I think you can talk about anything, even comment about the game during the game if only your opponent agrees. But the only option you should takecare of is

(c) You may not threaten or harass other users of this Service.

If you are ignored then, your opponent obviously isn't interested to talk.
  3. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 08:40
    I suspect there is no more any protocol that exists than if you were talking to someone in a coffee shop or a school.

Folks vary in how much they like to chat based on numerous factors.

If you are encountering a stranger and don`t know where they are on the chit chat meter you could say for example hi I`m from (insert Country here).
    If in response to that if they say nothing perhaps they are not 9/10 on the chit chat meter.
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '09
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 22:44
    thanks. I just wanted to be sure there was no unwritten rule or custom (or even a written one) in the chess world, or this site, about talking at play. nothing worse than rude people, did not want to be one.
  5. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 22:45
    It's called correspondence chess for a reason
  6. Joined
    16 May '08
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 22:20
    Just make sure you whisper so they can concentrate, and no tapping or humming.
  7. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    10 Nov '09 21:40
    Originally posted by Madman1
    Just make sure you whisper so they can concentrate, and no tapping or humming.
    or staring
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 13:00
    Originally posted by sprateleven

Is friendly conversation general ...[text shortened]... was generally ignored other than by a friend of mine who plays here. What is acceptable?
    Some opponents are friendly, others pretty taciturn. Just send a salutation and see what happens. Hope you enjoy yourself on this site!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree