1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 14:31
    So says the Forum Moderator.

Does blatant and obvious cheating being allowed to go on for months and/or years "reflect well on RHP"?
  2. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 14:34
    Whose name was dragged through the mod???
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 14:36
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    So says the Forum Moderator.

Does blatant and obvious cheating being allowed to go on for months and/or years "reflect well on RHP"?
    yes it may be equally counter productive, but what measures are there? i noticed when i was playing blitz as a guest on ICC that someone had their rating instantly reduced for cheating, why is the same mechanism also not available for RHP? is there a vast difference between real-time chess and CC that makes this almost impossible? How does the ICC monitor all those games? It must be through a piece of software.
  4. Forum Moderator
    31 Dec '09 14:39

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Forum Moderator
    31 Dec '09 14:40
    The two are completely different things.

Cheating is against TOS.

Users with evidence of cheating should use the procedures in place, rather than point the finger in public. Site Admin don't want a name and shame witch hunt in the forums and so accusations are subject to removal.

If users aren't happy with the procedures in place then suggest new ones or contact Site Admin
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 14:511 edit
    But is there really a procedure in place now? How many people have been banned for engine use since the Fair Play Ticket system was introduced?

It's getting to the stage that when I look through the list of top players it's difficult to find any legitimate ones. There are various very simple signs that a player ought to be looked at more closely, for example:

1) High match-up over many games with the top move choices of Fritz or other strong engine (all the strong engines seem to choose the same moves most of the time anyway, so it doesn't matter that much which one is used for checking). Is it really likely that there are players on RHP who have a higher Fritz match-up than all of the great World Champions, past and present?

2) A player who trundles along with a fairly low rating and then suddenly shows enormous improvement.

3) A player who is known to be of a certain strength OTB but plays to a far higher standard on RHP. Probably the weakest evidence of the three I've listed as some players do play much stronger in correspondence chess, but sometimes the difference is completely unbelievable.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 15:02
    Originally posted by Forum Moderator
    The two are completely different things.

Cheating is against TOS.

Users with evidence of cheating should use the procedures in place, rather than point the finger in public. Site Admin don't want a name and shame witch hunt in the forums and so accusations are subject to removal.

If users aren't happy with the procedures in place then suggest new ones or contact Site Admin
    (Shrug) Been all through this for years; experience tells me to have no faith in the procedures, if any, put in place by the Site Admins unless their constant failure to punish blatant and obvious cheats is pointed out for the entire community to see. When enough people complain something eventually gets done, like it did with the original establishment of Game Mods and the IM31 banning. But eternal vigilance is required or the Site Admins, who have little understanding of chess themselves, let the situation relapse to one where obvious cheaters are shooting up the rankings charts. This is certainly the case yet again and censoring posts which bring forth compelling evidence of blatant cheating just exacerbates the problem.
  8. Joined
    17 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 15:09
    And what about people who accuse people of cheating at blitz?

I have been accused a few times of cheating at blitz (incredibly enough) and so now I've decided to only play 1 minute blitz games as it would seem much more difficult for me to cheat using a computer at that speed.
  9. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 15:13

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 15:15
    Originally posted by homedepotov
    And what about people who accuse people of cheating at blitz?

I have been accused a few times of cheating at blitz (incredibly enough) and so now I've decided to only play 1 minute blitz games as it would seem much more difficult for me to cheat using a computer at that speed.
    You have creamed me quite a few times there, must've been higher powers behind your mouse 😠
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 15:242 edits
    People people, please we are interested in solutions. Obviously the fair play scheme is not working, or is not working to satisfaction, therefore, what alternatives do you propose? i suggest that everyone has a right to be tried by ones peers, therefore a judicial procedure should take place, in public and evidence presented for the prosecution and on behalf of the defence, with, as in Scottish law, a verdict of guilty, not guilty and not proven being rendered through a formal voting system by a jury, picked at random from among the RHP members, who shall look at the case on its individual merits.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 15:391 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    People people, please we are interested in solutions. Obviously the fair play scheme is not working, or is not working to satisfaction, therefore, what alternatives do you propose? i suggest that everyone has a right to be tried by ones peers, therefore a judicial procedure should take place, in public and evidence presented for the prosecution and ...[text shortened]... icked at random from among the RHP members, who shall look at the case on its individual merits.
    It's not that the structure of the system is wrong or ineffective. You may come up with the best system possible but unless someone does anything about even the most obvious cases, it's still useless.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 15:48
    Originally posted by philidor position
    It's not that the structure of the system is wrong or ineffective. You may come up with the best system possible but unless someone does anything about even the most obvious cases, it's still useless.
    i dunno, this thing must be the scourge of the internet correspondence chess playing community. How does ICC deal with it? As i stated when I was playing blitz a little message appeared on the window saying that someone was a cheat and would have their rating reduced. how does other chess sites deal with it, for there may be a precedent or a system that can be utilised?
  14. Joined
    17 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 15:52
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    You have creamed me quite a few times there, must've been higher powers behind your mouse 😠
    I don't know. Maybe all these zero-sum competitive/adversarial games don't work for me as they seem to trigger bouts of insane rage. I tell myself it's just a game and don't take it seriously and then I end up taking it seriously and getting angry.

I simply don't have the patience and mental toughness for grueling correspondence or over-the-board games. I like short and sweet games. My attention span is too short, I guess.
  15. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '09 15:54
    Originally posted by homedepotov
    I don't know. Maybe all these zero-sum competitive/adversarial games don't work for me as they seem to trigger bouts of insane rage. I tell myself it's just a game and don't take it seriously and then I end up taking it seriously and getting angry.

I simply don't have the patience and mental toughness for grueling correspondence or over-the-board games. I like short and sweet games. My attention span is too short, I guess.
    Often after only two moves or so against a p1200 I'm already bored and fed up with the game. Talking about a short attention span ........

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree