1. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 13:25
    Game 3556817

I just wanted to celebrate winning my first queen vrs. rook endgame.
    My opponent can no longer prevent Qa7+ picking up the rook and mating shortly thereafter.

How to mate with Queen + King versus Rook + King
    1. Drive king to edge of board.
    2. Separate rook from king
    3. Fork Rook and king.

I actually think that step one is the hardest part. Interested parties should also look for the couple of stalemate tricks in the game.
  2. Going where needed.
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 13:34
    Originally posted by zebano
    Game 3556817

My opponent can no longer prevent Qa7+ picking up the rook and mating shortly thereafter.

3. Fork Rook and king.

I actually think that step one is the hardest part. Interested parties should also look for the couple of stalemate tricks in the game.
    109 moves?
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 13:52
    Originally posted by EinsteinMind
    109 moves?
    28 since the last capture.

nice work zebano!
  4. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 16:10
    Game 3556817

3. Fork Rook and king.

How are you only 1586?

You have to be the strongest 1586 on the site.
  5. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 16:33
    Originally posted by Red Night
    How are you only 1586?

You have to be the strongest 1586 on the site.
    😛

Actually I make my share of blunders and play 100+ games concurrently. I just happen to slow down and really think when I play you and a few other select people (Cludi might sweep me anyway, but GalaxyShield, RedMike and Ramned never get off easy).
  6. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 17:091 edit
    😛

Actually I make my share of blunders and play 100+ games concurrently. I just happen to slow down and really think when I play you and a few other select people (Cludi might sweep me anyway, but GalaxyShield, RedMike and Ramned never get off easy).
    😠 How come others get off easy and not me 🙁 although I am kinda blundered my own off as black.

I'd put zebano at a 1700 player so if I lose I know it wasn't an upset. Quite the contrary.
  7. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 17:12
    Game 3556817

3. Fork Rook and king.

That's impressive, I didn't think it was possible to mate r vs q? Is it with perfect play?
  8. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 17:281 edit
    😛

So that's how you've been able to take so many of my points. 😛

I'll beat you again some day. 😉

Edit: Also, very nice win.
  9. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 18:12
    Originally posted by Ramned
    That's impressive, I didn't think it was possible to mate r vs q? Is it with perfect play?
    Q+K v R+K is possible to mate with perfect play. Nicely done Zebano, it is rare to see this, not sure I know how to do it - I have some old endgame book method, which my computer plays totally different from the analysis. Tough to do it in the allowed number of moves...
  10. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 18:34
    Originally posted by Exuma
    Q+K v R+K is possible to mate with perfect play. Nicely done Zebano, it is rare to see this, not sure I know how to do it - I have some old endgame book method, which my computer plays totally different from the analysis. Tough to do it in the allowed number of moves...
    Most K+Q v K+R endgames go to the side with the queen, but there are some very exceptional positions where the weaker side can get a draw by going for stalemate. I'll share one example given by Ponziani:

Black king on f8, black rook on g7; white king on h1, white queen on e6. Black to move.

1... Rh7+
    2.Kg2 Rg7+
    3.Kf3 Rf7+
    4.Kg4

White advances his king because shuffling back and forth on the f- g- and h-files will eventually lead to a draw by threefold repetition, and if the king tries to duck out to the e-file, Black will play ...Re7, pinning the white queen.

4... Rg7+
    5.Kf5 Rf7+
    6.Kg6 Rg7+
    7.Kh6 Rh7+! this is the tricky bit Black had up his sleeve.
    8.Kxh7 and it is stalemate, Black draws!

These types of saves are very rare by Black, though.

--
  11. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 22:32
    Originally posted by Doctor Rat
    Most K+Q v K+R endgames go to the side with the queen, but there are some very exceptional positions where the weaker side can get a draw by going for stalemate. I'll share one example given by Ponziani:

Black king on f8, black rook on g7; white king on h1, white queen on e6. Black to move.

1... Rh7+
    2.Kg2 Rg7+
    3.Kf3 Rf7+
    4.Kg4

White advances ...[text shortened]... and it is stalemate, Black draws!

These types of saves are very rare by Black, though.

--
    Invalid FEN inserted - 5k26r14Q388887K b

Thanks Dr R- that is cool and strange!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree