1. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 16:472 edits
    So far I have only played against below 1300 players. the all seem hell bent on accepting the QG and try hard to hang on to the pawn. . well there are a couple of approaches for white to make against this. QG is a "sudo" (its psuedo) gambit and if white wants to regain his pawn he can do so forcefully. As I demonstrate in this game Game 2187346
    Or he could play it as a "pure" gambit, which is a dangerous system that gives white control of centre. Heres another example in a game I actually lose because of an horrific oversight, and poor early middlegame play. but it is clear to see that i thoroughly won the opening. Game 2184047

Anyone have any comments, lessons or games on QGA? It is a fascinating opening and I have alot to learn myself.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 16:59
    Is "sudo" a form of Sumo Judo?

I generally deny QG as black, accepted it once and got waxed against someone who really knew how to work his queen.

Wish id have denied it or traded queens, started to notice him losing a lot in other games where his queen was neutralized or traded.

but I never play it as White unless it is against lower lvl players I know I can beat and come back from a poor position or lack of material.

Unless forced I like to let my queen hang back as long as possibles unless she needs to take immediate advantage of an opponent's mistake (like hanging knights) until the board is clearer and she has more room to wreak havoc.

Why is it a "pseudo gambit" btw? what defines a "gambit"?
  3. London
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 17:03
    Originally posted by Turanthor
    Why is it a "pseudo gambit" btw? what defines a "gambit"?
    The pawn can be forcibly regained in the Queen's Gambit, unlike in the Evans, Benko, King's . . . I guess this. I've won several games as white with 1. d4 d5 2. c4 dc 3. e3 b5 4. a4 c6 5. ab cb 6. Qf3, the trap that proves the point I guess.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 17:051 edit
    lol I cant spell. It is called a "Pseudo" gambit because wihte only temporarily lets go of the pawn. If he knows how to and chooses to do so, then he will get it back.

In a pure gambit the idea is to gain positional compensation for the loss of material. This may be in the form of controlling key squares, or by creating weaknesses in the enemy camp.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 17:093 edits
    I always play 3.Nf3 because it prevents black from playing 3...e5 which I think is a strong move.
  6. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 18:28
    I play 3. e4 in the QGA, so this gives black the option of actually holding onto the pawn, since now Qf3 does nothing. I think the line goes:

1. d4 d5
    2. c4 dc
    3. e4 b5
    4. a4 c6
    5. ab cb
    6. Nc3 Bd7
    7. Nf3 Be7
    8. Be2

Or something like that. White just develops his pieces on their best squares and ignores that he is down a pawn, since he has a lead in development and a strong center.
  7. Joined
    25 May '06
    Moves
    19 Jun '06 21:34
    1 d4. d5
    2 c4 d*c
    3 Nc3 (prevents b5 wich is very anoing for white)
    and this is the moment where black can decide how the game continues
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 02:561 edit
    Originally posted by Koosaldinho
    1 d4. d5
    2 c4 d*c
    3 Nc3 (prevents b5 wich is very anoing for white)
    and this is the moment where black can decide how the game continues
    b5 is not hard to deal with using the Nf3 , e3, a4 and b3 system such as this one.

Game 2187346

In this line Nc3 is actually a ?! move because black can mess it up with Bb4.
  9. Joined
    25 May '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 12:03
    Well i ment when both players play well ..๐Ÿ˜› you need to play your bisshop much faster๐Ÿ˜‰
  10. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 12:29
    Originally posted by TommyC
    The pawn can be forcibly regained in the Queen's Gambit, unlike in the Evans, Benko, King's . . . I guess this. I've won several games as white with 1. d4 d5 2. c4 dc 3. e3 b5 4. a4 c6 5. ab cb 6. Qf3, the trap that proves the point I guess.
    I've been surprised to see even good players fall into this one.
  11. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 12:35
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    I play 3. e4 in the QGA, so this gives black the option of actually holding onto the pawn, since now Qf3 does nothing. I think the line goes:

1. d4 d5
    2. c4 dc
    3. e4 b5
    4. a4 c6
    5. ab cb
    6. Nc3 Bd7
    7. Nf3 Be7
    8. Be2

Or something like that. White just develops his pieces on their best squares and ignores that he is down a pawn, since he has a lead in development and a strong center.
    In Shaw's Book on the Queen's Gambit, he mentions a similar line to your own that was suggested by former World Correspondence Champion Hans Berliner... on move 7, he suggests 7.d5!. Idea: try to stop Black developing with e6 (if e6 then de, fe, Nxb5 since White has Qh5+).

[just noticed... do you have a typo in your post? 7... Be7 isn't legal]

But as you say, it's not regaining the pawn, it's trying to gain an overwhelming lead in development.
  12. Joined
    25 May '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 14:23
    you need to play Nc6 and then the opponent will play a7 (probably) and then you play a4 so that black cant play pawn b5
  13. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 20:37
    Originally posted by Varenka
    In Shaw's Book on the Queen's Gambit, he mentions a similar line to your own that was suggested by former World Correspondence Champion Hans Berliner... on move 7, he suggests 7.d5!. Idea: try to stop Black developing with e6 (if e6 then de, fe, Nxb5 since White has Qh5+).

[just noticed... do you have a typo in your post? 7... Be7 isn't legal]

But ...[text shortened]... say, it's not regaining the pawn, it's trying to gain an overwhelming lead in development.
    Yeah definitely a mistake thanks. Maybe it's Nf6. White does follow up with d5 in that line, looking to open up the position for his pieces. ๐Ÿ™‚
  14. Standard memberEnigmaticCam
    Chess n00b
    Cali
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 23:59
    Game 2148479

Even though I pulled off a win, I don't think I handled it that well when he attempted to keep the extra pawn. Where did I go wrong? I can't see it for some reason.
  15. London
    Moves
    22 Jun '06 00:061 edit
    Originally posted by dottewell
    I've been surprised to see even good players fall into this one.
    Really? Of what standard on this site?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree