1. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    29 Apr '21 02:19
    Honestly, I have yet to see this series...I’ve never had Netflix! I’m from the Stone Age/ Erly Bronze Age and actually remember when the Rules for Knight moves in chess was actually defined...

I am actually considering joining the 21st Century just to check it out. How would those who’ve seen it rate it? Scale of 1-5, 5 being outstanding and 1 being “stay in your cave?”
  2. Joined
    14 Feb '09
    Moves
    29 Apr '21 08:111 edit
    It was great.
    Chess players will nitpick the chess scenes and how the show was wrong in many ways but it was a good show.

For example...
    When she is at the elite level of chess... players in her world have conversations while they are playing. That doesn't happen in real life tournaments and I heard your not allowed to?

Also...

When she made it to the top nobody takes more than 3 seconds to move apparently.

Some.of the male characters were completely lame 🙄

Oh and being a drug addict and alcoholic does not go well with chess.

It was a great show.
    You should definitely watch it. 😉
  3. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    29 Apr '21 08:39
    It's a very rare occasion: But I agree with the player whose current alias is "very musty".

It's a high quality story filled with lots of accurate period decor and shot by a highly skilled cinematographer. The post-production editing is also first rate.

Well worth watching for its own sake.
  4. Joined
    14 Feb '09
    Moves
    29 Apr '21 08:47
    😮 very rare indeed!
  5. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    29 Apr '21 15:03
    @Very-Musty
    I appreciate the comments, and will be subscribing to Netflix in the VERY near future!
  6. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    30 Apr '21 00:46
    Well I watched S1E1. Good enough storyline to keep my wife’s interest, and hey! Chess!

Side benefit: Netflix is amazing!
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 Apr '21 01:54
    @liljo said
    Well I watched S1E1. Good enough storyline to keep my wife’s interest, and hey! Chess!

Side benefit: Netflix is amazing!
    Haha, that's the thing, it appeals to everyone, chess and non-chess players. Do Netflix still do a free month for new subs?

I won't say anything else in case of spoiling but I enjoyed it, would give it a 4.
  8. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    30 Apr '21 03:13
    @trev33 said
    Haha, that's the thing, it appeals to everyone, chess and non-chess players. Do Netflix still do a free month for new subs?

I won't say anything else in case of spoiling but I enjoyed it, would give it a 4.
    Wasn’t free but I signed up for the second best quality and got one month of premium for the lower cost. I will binge watch this series on rainy evenings. Otherwise, I spend a lot of time in the Great Outdoors.

So far, I’d say a 4 is about right. Just in the first episode I spotted several chess books I’d like to read. And the description of Morphy—that was pretty cool as well.
  9. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    30 Apr '21 04:08
    5. I would not whine about the way they play chess and talk and move too fast. Some of the atmospherics around tournaments are wrong, but they convey the drama of a tournament really well. And some of the games are terrific, with some great Easter eggs if you keep your eyes open.

Anya Taylor-Joy is beautiful and wears clothes marvelously. And her acting is great too. I love the way she is constantly thinking about chess. (when she's not blotto.)
  10. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    30 Apr '21 04:12
    @byedidia
    No whining from me, for certain! Yes, she is easy on the eyes and your perspective is perfect. I will watch for those Easter Eggs!
  11. Joined
    14 Feb '09
    Moves
    30 Apr '21 07:44
    @Liljo

He was referring to my whining 😒
  12. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    30 Apr '21 12:22
    @liljo said
    Otherwise, I spend a lot of time in the Great Outdoors.
    Is the Devil's Tower image in your avatar the 'Great Outdoors' you refer to?
  13. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    30 Apr '21 13:24
    @mwmiller said
    Is the Devil's Tower image in your avatar the 'Great Outdoors' you refer to?
    You bet! I cover a lot of ground on a motorcycle. The Devil's Tower kind of reminds me of the biggest rook in the world! If you've ever been, you are probably familiar with the Kiowa and Sioux legends. A few years ago I made a lap from my home that covered almost 4000 miles...in SIX DAYS! That was one of my brief stops.
  14. e4
    Moves
    30 Apr '21 14:02
    I've not watched it yet. I'll not get Netflix for there lay the path to doom.
    I just know I'll get absorbed in all kinds stuff and nothing will get done.

I've got NOW TV which is cheap and I just watch a film every now and then.
    I got hooked on 'Elementry' [even got a blog out of it blogpostid]351[/blogpostid]

I did see this sketch on Queen's Gambit. Apparently it is close to real thing.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/online/videos/21476/bad-tv-impressions-the-queens-gambit/
  15. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    30 Apr '21 14:191 edit
    @greenpawn34
    LOL! ! !

Yes, I suppose Netflix could be my undoing in the end. There is an endless assortment of shows I'll probably get into. But hey, I'm getting older now, and taking two week motorcycle rides across a troubled country is probably soon to be in my past...I already find that it's less frightening the quicker I pass through..

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree